U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-16-2012, 04:15 PM

246 posts, read 590,263 times
I'll throw in my obligatory plug for my own neighborhood, Deer Park -- and also mention Pleasant Ridge as a possibility, since I don't think anyone has yet ...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 09:53 AM

8,638 posts, read 6,294,896 times
OP...
I was looking at your original post and what you object to about WC. One of the significant items seemed to be the cookie-cutter houses and the fact they were compacted on small lots with little room between or around them. But of several of the areas which have been mentioned, I see really no difference, such as Oakley, Deer Park, etc. They are predominatly smaller houses on small lots. They might not seem so crowded, until you go inside.

Over 35 years ago, I moved from Madeira to Mason for the opposite reason. I wanted a larger home, 5 bedrooms at least on a larger lot because I enjoy gardening. Admittedly I am in an older section of town. I have an acre lot, and likely at least 40 feet between my house and the neighbors on each side. From the back of my house to the back of the houses behind me is at least 400 feet. It is like living in a park. That is why at our age my wife and I refuse to move.

May I suggest before you toss in the towel you look at some of the houses in what is called Pisgah. This is still part of Westchester Township but concentrated between I-75 and Route 42 south of Mason. Much of Pisgah on the east side will be populated with 1970s ranches, but great ranches with full basements and on lots where you do not bump up against each other. This is an older but great neighborhood.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 AM

6 posts, read 6,048 times
We found a few houses in Norwood around the Indian Mound area that we really like. There was a park near and we saw kids riding their bicycles through the neighborhood that looked like they were having a blast. 80 degree weather could have been to blame for that, though.

I also drove around and saw a few in the older downtown Mason area that were appealing. I like that there are two parks (Heritage Oaks is massive!) within walking distance in Mason as well as a town square with some restaurants and shops, too. And the dowtown area is historic with no McMansions in sight.

Both commutes were pretty much the same and, even though Mason schools are consistently great, Norwood also got an Excellent rating this past year, too. The sections we were interested in have comparable lot/yard sizes. Tough decisions!

We have a few good agent/realtor references for the Mason/West Chester area. Does anyone have any for the Norwood/Oakley/Pleasant Ridge area? Thanks!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 AM

6 posts, read 13,706 times
Finneytown, Wyoming would be good options as a starter. It's close to Glendale area, and close to downtown, kenwood, tricounty ect. There' some houses in my neighborhood are on sale. Pretty much young families with kids. Cul de sac street, right behind main road.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 AM

87 posts, read 57,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbeth333 View Post
The Anderson, Cherry Grove areas have great family places, too. Anderson schools which serve Cherry Grove also are some of the best public schools in the Cincinnati area. I think of Anderson and Cherry Grove as suburbs even though they're not.

City real estate taxes may be higher. A good real estate agent can help you in your search. Cincinnati is a great place to raise kids. Relatively safe. I've lived on the west side and east side and prefer the east side.

How are Anderson and Cherry Grove not suburbs?
The fit all the stereotypes of the most typical suburbs in America:

Just outside a major city - Check
Cookie-cutter houses - Check
Massive congested street filled with fast food - Check
Very little diversity - Check

I don't think you get can much more of standard suburbia experience than that.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 AM

3,154 posts, read 3,122,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd2028 View Post
We found a few houses in Norwood around the Indian Mound area that we really like. There was a park near and we saw kids riding their bicycles through the neighborhood that looked like they were having a blast. 80 degree weather could have been to blame for that, though.

I also drove around and saw a few in the older downtown Mason area that were appealing. I like that there are two parks (Heritage Oaks is massive!) within walking distance in Mason as well as a town square with some restaurants and shops, too. And the dowtown area is historic with no McMansions in sight.

Both commutes were pretty much the same and, even though Mason schools are consistently great, Norwood also got an Excellent rating this past year, too. The sections we were interested in have comparable lot/yard sizes. Tough decisions!

We have a few good agent/realtor references for the Mason/West Chester area. Does anyone have any for the Norwood/Oakley/Pleasant Ridge area? Thanks!
This is great. We now have a real idea of what you want. The Indian Mound area of Norwood is a close fit to Pleasant Ridge, Oakley, and to a lesser extent, College Hill over on the other side of town. I'll PM you a realtor that I know knows the Ridge block-by-block. The Mason decision is really about if you want to be part of the fabric of the urban core of the region or not. I love historic downtowns, particularly in small towns, so I definitely see the appeal.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:03 PM

20 posts, read 19,168 times
Default West Chester Pros and Cons

This is our 5th year living in West Chester; we love our house (not a 2 story cookie cutter starter home). Before we bought our home we looked in Wyoming but the taxes were way too high. I too am looking for a new home elsewhere. I want to move so I'm closer to a walkable area and in an area with a more neighborhood feel to it. Though in West Chester there are some areas like that, for example Beckett Ridge. The other thing I'm looking is a community with a Community Recreation Center with a pool. (Like in Evendale, Blue Ash or Sharonville) West Chester voted this idea down believing it best to join a private club.
No matter where you move to you will meet people once your kids start school and become involved in activities. Even though the Lakota Schools are going through a rough time with their tax levies, the schools are still very good. I would not move to any area unless the schools have an excellent rating. Trying to sell a home in a less than excellent rated district is hard, believe me I did it 5 years ago.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Last edited by artist1oh; 04-05-2012 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Added info

Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM

3,154 posts, read 3,122,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artist1oh View Post
No matter where you move to you will meet people once your kids start school and become involved in activities. Even though the Lakota Schools are going through a rough time with their tax levies, the schools are still very good. I would not move to any area unless the schools have an excellent rating. Trying to sell a home in a less than excellent rated district is hard, believe me I did it 5 years ago.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
p-ridge has way less than an excellent school rating and homes sell in three weeks.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:53 AM

20 posts, read 19,168 times
ToProgmac: Yes there are some areas of town that sell without being in an Excellent rated school district but in most cases it makes it harder. Also another aspect to this is many families never move out of their starter home for one reason or another. I would never again buy a house in a poor rated school district even though I no longer need the schools to educate my children. It made it just to hard to sell my previous home.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 6,048 times
Just wanted to update..... we are going to be putting an offer on a house in Deer Park this week hopefully. We looked at many great houses in both Deer Park and Norwood that we liked (and a couple in Oakley). Ultimately, we felt it had a good mix of the things we desired in a neighborhood without having to do any hard sacrifices. The house we found has character, space and is at a very reasonable price, we thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati