U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:58 AM

3,857 posts, read 5,093,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic! View Post
I can't argue with that. Thankyou very much for the heads up on that, i've had a look online at the reports of the fires and causes and i think i may well be giving that one a miss.

If there was an emoticon for blowing someone a kiss you'd be getting one.
You're welcome! I figured you wouldn't want to live in an overpriced fire pit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 12:17 PM

252 posts, read 28,760 times
More News! (i bet your all just loving this).

Had a chat with the bloke that decides what car i get and it's an Audi A4 Avant (AWD) which i have to admit to being surprised by, i wasn't expecting that level of car but i'm certainly not complaining. I also discoverd that in all the offices in the country there's only 3 that do my job and they only started in the last 5/6 weeks so must be a new direction for them.

While i think of it, are there abreviations or nicknames for Cincinnati that are acceptable to the inhabitants?

(As you may have guessed my days are not exactly full atm, hence the trail of nonsence that i keep popping on here).

Old 03-12-2012, 01:48 PM

8,705 posts, read 6,522,988 times
Don't Panic...
That Audi A4 Avant is a sporty looking 4-door sedan. Even the most base model in that series seems very well equipped. Those wheels would impress me, and definitely you should be in Hyde Park.

Most everyone accepts Cincy as the most recognized abbreviation for Cincinnati.

I want to put my vote in for the Regency high-rise simply because its has sufficient property around it so you feel like you are entering a luxury apartment/condo building rather than something just squeezed onto a minimal lot to maximum return. It does have some years on it so has to be checked out to insure proper upkeep, interior upgrades, etc. have been performed. I have not known anyone actually living there for a number of years so can not speak for its current condition, but years ago the retired President of the company I worked for sold his estate in Indian Hill and moved into the Penthouse, and I can guarantee it was one swanky digs with a fabulous view of the city.

Knowing the level of people who lived there and how convenient it is to everything in Hyde Park and downtown, I cannot believe I wouldn't have been kept up. As Wilson commented, there may be a majority of old people there who decided to give up the hassle of maintaining their house, but it should be a genteel and civilized place. There are plenty of places to go in Hyde Park to socialize and meet/great a variety of people. And you are talking a short enough bus ride at certain times you leave the Audi at home, take the bus to work, and after do the rounds of the downtown establishments. At the end of the evening grab a cab home.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:07 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,024,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
...I want to put my vote in for the Regency high-rise simply because its has sufficient property around it so you feel like you are entering a luxury apartment/condo building rather than something just squeezed onto a minimal lot to maximum return. It does have some years on it so has to be checked out to insure proper upkeep, interior upgrades, etc. have been performed. I have not known anyone actually living there for a number of years so can not speak for its current condition, but years ago the retired President of the company I worked for sold his estate in Indian Hill and moved into the Penthouse, and I can guarantee it was one swanky digs with a fabulous view of the city
It's condos, so condition of an individual apartment's going to depend on what that owner's done with it. But I believe the common areas, management, etc. are fine. My close friend's sister has lived there for years. She likes it just fine. And yeah, she's up there in years

Old 03-12-2012, 02:14 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,014,003 times
Quote:

While i think of it, are there abreviations or nicknames for Cincinnati that are acceptable to the inhabitants?
By far, the most commonly accepted nickname for Cincinnati is "Cincy." It's similar to Philadelphia/Philly in that regard.

Cincinnati is also known as the Queen City, as it was once called in a Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem as "the queen of the west."

Old 03-12-2012, 03:47 PM

@kjbrill
Very happy with the car yeah, it'll lessen the blow of getting rid of my old Jag *sniff* I'll miss the old girl.. *manfully takes a deep breath and sips some tea*..... aaaaanyway.

The Regency certainly sounds good from your testamonials and recollections so i'll look forwrd to the info' they're going to send me. Nice to hear good things about The Tosca too as i like the look of that one. Around the Hyde Park area is certainly where my bow is aimed at the moment.

Thankyou again.

Oh! If any of you have any random questions about anything just ask, not used to so much free time, it's driving me nuts.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
@kjbrill
Oh! If any of you have any random questions about anything just ask, not used to so much free time, it's driving me nuts.
Not any questions per see, just some comments. You will undoubtedly recognize the US is still mirred down in the antiquated English System Of Units and Measurements, Miles, Yards and Feet, Gallons and Quarts, Pounds and Ounces, etc. as we stubbornly refuse to accept the more logical Metric System. So in the modern world of commerce we are constantly doing conversions. Just may give you some insight as to how stubborn we colonists really are and what you may be dealing with once you get here.

And please remember here Football is a totally different game, played by ruffians who line up and try to run over each other. The Cincinnati Bengals are one of those roque professional teams which people will drag you to watch while you are here.

I really know very little about Cricket, but it appears to be an early version of our Baseball. When I say early, I mean existed a long time before. Cricket appears to be a more finesse game but I could be wrong.

After you arrive here, people will ask you to go to both Cincinnati Reds (Baseball) and Cincinnati Bengals (American Football) games. Go, they are a lot of fun. Just a couple of things you should try and remember. The Cincinnati Reds were the FIRST professional baseball team in the US, established in 1869. At that time they were simply called the Cincinnati Base Ball Club and later the Cincinnati Red Stockings. This is something you don't want to mess up with when talking to native Cincinnatians.

From what you have said, I believe you are going to enjoy your time in Cincinnati.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,024,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
From what you have said, I believe you are going to enjoy your time in Cincinnati.
Yes, it's great how you're asking so many questions, DP, and also reading our other threads. I've said for a long time that a person's own attitude and attributes are the biggest factor in whether they'll like a new place. Cincinnati, like almost any other place on earth, has many things to love and its fair share of things to detest, too. I think you're going to come here and find the things that're good!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:58 AM

DP...
Depending on when you arrive here, from July 4-14 Cincinnati will be hosting its largest international event ever - the World Choir Games expecting 20,000 participants. Hundreds of choirs will be competing in 23 catagories at various venues in the city. May be some interesting competitions to attend.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 AM

As long as i don't need to join in, i sound like a goose farting in the fog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati