Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 AM

258 posts, read 160,066 times

Advertisements

Moving to Cincinnati in May from England.

I have a new job with a Multinational and the place they've told me i would be sent is Cincinnati, bit of a surprise as the interview started in London. Anyway, it's a good job and they're putting me in a hotel for a month while i settle in and find my feet.

I get a car so i don't need to worry about that (which is a relief) but i will need to find somewhere to live.

I'm willing to pay around the $1250-$1750 region, long term let, not bothered about the area aslong as it's safe. No family so don't need schools and happy to be in the city or 30mins travel away by either car or public transport. I'm based in the city but about half of my work is outside visiting other companies so any reccomendations as to districts would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Live in the central downtown business district (not the Banks, not OTR). You will enjoy it.

If you are going to have lots of free time, Hyde Park.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:00 PM

4,481 posts, read 6,235,098 times
CBD is a good bet.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Mount Adams sounds like a place you'd really like. And check out the Hyde Park area. I also agree with those that said downtown.

Welcome to Cincinnati!

Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,884 times
I'll add to the already good suggestions:

Not sure if anything is available for rent in this building, and if so what the rents would be, but it might interest you. Your price range should buy you a VERY nice living space in this area. The Ascent at Roebling Maybe someone else will chime in with details about the Ascent.

It's worth keeping in mind that Covington, Kentucky is directly across the river from downtown Cincinnati, so could be a quicker commute to your workplace than many places in Ohio itself.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:27 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Mount Adams sounds like a place you'd really like. And check out the Hyde Park area. I also agree with those that said downtown.

Welcome to Cincinnati!
I agree with staying with the CBD location. I also agree not the Banks or OTR. Give yourself every opportunity to enjoy the downtown without a bunch of glitz around you. If you are coming from London, Cincy will seem like a small town. If your are working and living downtown you can minimize time lost in your life. Going and visiting companies outside of the city will be a breeze. Just remember to drive on the opposite side of the road, your US car's steering wheel should be an indication, and you will be fine. And let me join in welcoming you to Cincinnati. About the only thing in common with London is the river through the city.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:40 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
This actualy a kid in my grade that moved here from england he really likes it

Old 03-10-2012, 12:42 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I agree with staying with the CBD location. I also agree not the Banks or OTR. Give yourself every opportunity to enjoy the downtown without a bunch of glitz around you. If you are coming from London, Cincy will seem like a small town. If your are working and living downtown you can minimize time lost in your life. Going and visiting companies outside of the city will be a breeze. Just remember to drive on the opposite side of the road, your US car's steering wheel should be an indication, and you will be fine. And let me join in welcoming you to Cincinnati. About the only thing in common with London is the river through the city.
And ...

- Winston Churchill, who, during a visit here, called Cincinnati "the most beautiful of America's inland cities"
- Classic old-world/Victorian architecture
- World-class professional tennis tournament
- Great parks/park system
- An elite symphony
- World-famous, historic zoos that have been around since the 1800s
- Mummies
- Quirky pocket neighborhoods (Notting Hill, Mount Adams, Northside)
- Old tunnels beneath the city
- Iconic bridges (Tower Bridge, London Bridge, Suspension Bridge)
- Streetcars (London has 'em, we're getting 'em)

Cincinnati has a lot to be proud of, as I'm sure our new friend from London will soon discover.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 03-10-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 02:34 PM

258 posts, read 160,066 times
Thankyou for the replies, i'll have a look at those areas over the weekend (sadly only online though).

I've seen a couple of mentions of 'CBD', is that Central Business District? Sorry to be a pain in the arse. My office is at 250 East 5th street so from there where does the CBD encompass?

A Brief resumé of me (it may help with your choices):

I'm 42, just done 22 years in the British Army including standing outside Buck' Palace in a red coat and furry hat and Afghanistan where no furry hat was required. Fit, though sadly not as in "phwoar!" I don't like gyms more into outdoor fitness, running, throwing huge boulders and felling trees with my might *grrr*. Erm, i drink alcierhol *hic*, and eat food so bars and restaurant might be nice. Usually ride a motorbike given a chance but quite happy to just ride it into the house or appartments lift if no secure parking.

I can raise the rent money a bit if required as i'll be renting out where i live now and rental prices here are stupid so that's not an issue.

That's all i can think of but if anything else would help just ask .

Thanks again for the help so far, much appreciated.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic! View Post
Thankyou for the replies, i'll have a look at those areas over the weekend (sadly only online though).

I've seen a couple of mentions of 'CBD', is that Central Business District? Sorry to be a pain in the arse. My office is at 250 East 5th street so from there where does the CBD encompass?

A Brief resumé of me (it may help with your choices):

I'm 42, just done 22 years in the British Army including standing outside Buck' Palace in a red coat and furry hat and Afghanistan where no furry hat was required. Fit, though sadly not as in "phwoar!" I don't like gyms more into outdoor fitness, running, throwing huge boulders and felling trees with my might *grrr*. Erm, i drink alcierhol *hic*, and eat food so bars and restaurant might be nice. Usually ride a motorbike given a chance but quite happy to just ride it into the house or appartments lift if no secure parking.

I can raise the rent money a bit if required as i'll be renting out where i live now and rental prices here are stupid so that's not an issue.

That's all i can think of but if anything else would help just ask .

Thanks again for the help so far, much appreciated.
Thanks for your service, and welcome to Cincinnati!!!

Yes, the CBD is the Central Business District. Most people just refer to it as downtown. It is bounded by the river to the South and Central Parkway to the North. This would be a great choice, as anywhere in downtown would be very close to your work. Downtown is also probably the best spot for nightlife in the area right now, along with Mt. Adams and Over-the-Rhine.

With your price range, you can live pretty much anywhere you want. I would check out Mt. Adams. It is close to downtown, lots of nightlife, and Eden Park (which is Cincinnatis best park in my opinion) is right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati