Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:25 PM

12 posts, read 15,412 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon, everyone!
We are in need of help, here is our story:
We are a just married couple, working in healthcare field, we live in Jerusalem, Israel. My husband is a doctor who has been recently matched to Jewish hospital, Cincinnati. So, we are about to move in 3 months, for a period of 3-5years. We have no kids yet, only a cat, who is coming with us. But we are planning to have kids. I wont be working there, so we are going to have one salary of 4-4.500$. We are in need of advice where to rent an appartment, or a house, since Cincinnati Does have higher crime rates, 20th place in US. We are considered a bit, since we are moving a long way, and do not know anything about the place, only whatvwe find in the internet. We'd be grateful for any advice.
Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 03:07 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yshuel View Post
Good afternoon, everyone!
We are in need of help, here is our story:
We are a just married couple, working in healthcare field, we live in Jerusalem, Israel. My husband is a doctor who has been recently matched to Jewish hospital, Cincinnati. So, we are about to move in 3 months, for a period of 3-5years. We have no kids yet, only a cat, who is coming with us. But we are planning to have kids. I wont be working there, so we are going to have one salary of 4-4.500$. We are in need of advice where to rent an appartment, or a house, since Cincinnati Does have higher crime rates, 20th place in US. We are considered a bit, since we are moving a long way, and do not know anything about the place, only whatvwe find in the internet. We'd be grateful for any advice.
Thanks a lot!
Jewish Hospital is in Kenwood, a very nice area of Cincinnati. Although no part of Cincinnati or any other US city of its size is crime-free, you will not need to be overly concerned about crime in that part of town. You did not specifically ask about this but if it's important to you, Jewish Hospital is also relatively near several large synagogues and relatively close to the Cincinnati area's biggest concentration of Jewish families. You may wish to start your search for a place to live concentrating on the communities of Amberly, Kenwood, Montgomery and Blue Ash. Blue Ash, especially.

You also may wish to contact Jewish Federation of Cincinnati: Building Resources, Leadership and Trust as well as check out JCC: Home Best wishes on your move.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:22 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
As Sarah has commented, Jewish Hospital is in the eastern part of Cincinnati in Kenwood. This is a very nice part of Cincinnati. Right across the street from the hospital on Kenwood Rd is the most upscale shopping mall in Cincinnati, Kenwood Towne Center. This is an extremely safe part of the city. It would be hard to select a more desirable place to work in Cincy than where Jewish Hospital is located.

As Sarah commented there are numerous opportunities for living, including some apartments in Amberley Village a jewish neighborhood a little to the west and where the Jewish Community Center is located. Even closer to the hospital are several communities such as Blue Ash where you should have no problem finding desirable housing. Welcome to Cincinnati and you are in a great part of town.

Get on the internet and use Google Earth to become familiar with the area around the Jewish Hospital. I am sure you will agree you are going to enjoy your time here.

Last edited by kjbrill; 03-16-2012 at 03:44 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM

Thank you a lot for your advices, we are a bit nervious, since it's our second immigration, we two were brought to Israel as kids by our parents from Ukraine and have been living here for 16 years now. So, we realy appreciate your help!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yshuel View Post
Thank you a lot for your advices, we are a bit nervious, since it's our second immigration, we two were brought to Israel as kids by our parents from Ukraine and have been living here for 16 years now. So, we realy appreciate your help!!!
Kind if a coincidence, Two years ago I had a student from the Ukraine come here for the summer. She had signed up with some Russian outfit. What they were charging her for living, etc. expenses was rediculous, basically eating up everything she could earn here. I actually saw a posting by her boyfriend inquiring whether there was anything better. We ended up having her for our guest for the summer at our house, as we had extra rooms. It has grown into a very friendly relationship. She calls me her US dad.

Calm your nerves down. You could not ask for a better situation in Cincinnati from where you are heading. Any of us on this forum will be more than happy to answer specific concerns you desire to ask.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:43 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,036 times
I really like Jewish Hospital. Had hand surgery there after I broke a finger playing basketball. Great nurses, modern interior, and perfect location (at least for me). For a young Jewish couple, I'd suggest Amberley Village or Madeira. Both are close to the hospital, quaint, somewhat affordable, and filled with like minded Jewish folks. If you wanted to be around more hospital people (young doctors), look at the Gaslight District in Clifton and Hyde Park (there's inexpensive apartments for rent there). Those two areas would have more international folks, too.....and Phd students.....from Univ. of Cincinnati.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:55 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
There are plenty of nice places in Greater Cincinnati to live, so don't worry about it.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:11 AM

Yshuel...

Jewish Hospital was originally near the University of Cincinnati. At one time virtually all the hospitals were concentrated there. The hospital was getting old and they decided to give it up and take over an existing hospital in Kenwood called Epp Memorial. That is how they ended up in a more suburban setting. Since then several hospitals have moved to more suburban settings to follow the expanding population.

Something needs to be said concerning transportation. Don't know whether you are planning on a car or not. Public transportation is very limited. There are a few bus routes around Kenwood, but most are geared to going downtown and back, or going from some of the northern suburbs to the shopping center. Also, depending on your husband's specific assignment with the hospital, hours may vary considerably compared to public transportation times. In the suburban setting taxis are sparse and rapidly expensive.

Kenwood is a fine place but not the best for using public transportation.

Just my personal opinion, but commuting to an area like Clifton Gaslight is to me just a waste of time and money. Your husband is going to make a lot of professional contacts right there at the hospital and this will lead to additional social and professional contacts. I would start out looking for a suitable apartment within walking distance of Jewish. This would simplify things geatly. And since the huge shopping center is so near, you might be able to get a part time job to both occupy your time and supplement the income.

If you do plan on a car, then Amberley Village, where the apartments would be located along Section Rd, is about 3 miles west from Jewish. Madeira is east about 2 miles to the center, and would have a variety of apartments. Blue Ash is to the north, very close, less than 1 mile. A car makes a huge difference on your flexibility of where to live.

As you will find out quickly, the US is a car oriented society. Many people are trying to change it, but it is not going to happen very soon. I have no idea what modern life is like in Jerusalem, so cannot make any comparison.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yshuel...

Jewish Hospital was originally near the University of Cincinnati. At one time virtually all the hospitals were concentrated there. The hospital was getting old and they decided to give it up and take over an existing hospital in Kenwood called Epp Memorial. That is how they ended up in a more suburban setting. Since then several hospitals have moved to more suburban settings to follow the expanding population.

Something needs to be said concerning transportation. Don't know whether you are planning on a car or not. Public transportation is very limited. There are a few bus routes around Kenwood, but most are geared to going downtown and back, or going from some of the northern suburbs to the shopping center. Also, depending on your husband's specific assignment with the hospital, hours may vary considerably compared to public transportation times. In the suburban setting taxis are sparse and rapidly expensive.

Kenwood is a fine place but not the best for using public transportation.

Just my personal opinion, but commuting to an area like Clifton Gaslight is to me just a waste of time and money. Your husband is going to make a lot of professional contacts right there at the hospital and this will lead to additional social and professional contacts. I would start out looking for a suitable apartment within walking distance of Jewish. This would simplify things geatly. And since the huge shopping center is so near, you might be able to get a part time job to both occupy your time and supplement the income.

If you do plan on a car, then Amberley Village, where the apartments would be located along Section Rd, is about 3 miles west from Jewish. Madeira is east about 2 miles to the center, and would have a variety of apartments. Blue Ash is to the north, very close, less than 1 mile. A car makes a huge difference on your flexibility of where to live.

As you will find out quickly, the US is a car oriented society. Many people are trying to change it, but it is not going to happen very soon. I have no idea what modern life is like in Jerusalem, so cannot make any comparison.
Thanks a lot, we are seriously considering Blue Ash as our choice, we also got an email from hospital program coordinator and they will help looking for houses as well.
Our modern life in Jerusalem is not so exciting: we both live in a suburbs of the city - 5 minutes by bus, and we do have a great public transportation system, so sometimes we go to the city for movies, some restaurants and market. We are also not a religious couple, we know our traditions, history, but not living a religious lifestyle. I work as a nurse in Child and Adolescent Rehabilitation Hospital, though i cannot work in US. we do not have much spare time during a week... planning to get a car, since it is quite impossible to move in US by bus.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:19 AM

Yshuel...
Just curious, why cannot you work in the US, insufficient formal qualifications for license, what? You may be able to get a job in one of the many elderly care facilities which are abundant and do not require a full licensed nurse for many positions.

I can certainly second Blue Ash, convenient, clean and safe, one of Cincy's nicest suburbs. If you can get close to its small business section, even better, many local shops for everyday needs. You can park the car once and walk to everything. And while you only plan 3-5 years, if it turns out longer Blue Ash is in one of the best school districts in the entire area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati