U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 AM

8,705 posts, read 6,821,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
On the subject of townships and poor planning, what about Montgomery Road and Kenwood at Kenwood Towne Center. That is Sycamore Twp., right? Always hate that intersection too.
You got that right. Same thing out around Northgate Mall and Eastgate Mall. The owners choose those locations for #1 their employees do not have to pay city income tax, and #2 the townships will OK anything they want to build, social and environmental impact be damned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 12:20 PM

75 posts, read 23,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
LOL. Jeez, Cincinnati *region* people are just so,so,so provincial to an ultraviolet degree. So Wilson braved the arctic northland tundra of Tylersville.

Yeah, agreed completely with the observations about traffic. It's a stupid amount of traffic just to haul one's azz around to your house or Kroger's.

This explains past threads about Cincinnati's social climate where someone will shout down someone else and essentially say that it really, really, REALLY matters whether something happened within the radioactive I-275 Van Allen belt or outside it.

It really doesn't and people in a given region tend to be birds of a feather but to Cincinnatians, it's all different inside or outside a certain corporate boundary.

Since I live outside I-275, I will resume my dining on human flesh, which is a delicacy in these harsh, uninhabited nether regions.
Ouch!

And your point is? That locals are all too provincial to suit the tastes of those more enlightened? That ultraviolet is a degree of provinciality? That I-275 is as radioactive as the Van Allen Belt?

That the Science Channel and Discovery Channel have cool content?

Old 03-24-2012, 02:05 PM

421 posts, read 273,259 times
Everything in Butler/Warren counties since the interstates were built is a disaster. The traditional cities of Hamilton and Middletown have been vilified in favor of new crap. Sprawl wastes land, energy, makes people fat.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:02 PM

406 posts, read 470,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

Seriously, I realized yesterday that I lead a very very privileged life.
Umm...DUH??? C'mon Wilson, you must know you live a privileged life by almost any measure: your education (what percent of the population has a graduate degree?) Your income, the cost of your house, the cost of your car.

I am sure you realize the median income in the US is around 40,000 a year. That doesn't buy much in your world

Old 03-24-2012, 04:02 PM

8,606 posts, read 12,215,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
Umm...DUH??? C'mon Wilson, you must know you live a privileged life by almost any measure: your education (what percent of the population has a graduate degree?) Your income, the cost of your house, the cost of your car.

I am sure you realize the median income in the US is around 40,000 a year. That doesn't buy much in your world
I realize I am Master of a Very Small Universe.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:09 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,292,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post

It is quite possible to live on 40k a year or even less without keeping a camper in your front yard.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:31 AM

8,705 posts, read 6,821,739 times
Quote:
Well, it took me 25 minutes to get from Cin Dayton Road to Cox Rd last night on Tylersville - no accidents no construction. So good luck with that.

For the record, that is exactly 1.72 miles. People who can tolerate that kind of traffic are of another world.
Was all of the widening of Tylersville completed between Cinci-Dayton and near I-75? That has been holding things up the past several months. But when I take that route to Beckett Ridge Golf Club for a 10:30 AM tee time it is clear sailing. I can traverse the entire distance from middle Mason to the golf course in less than 20 minutes. About the same coming home after golf around 3:00 PM.

BTW we have a Cox Rd in Butler Co. and a Cox Smith Rd in Mason, can be confusing. Why were you going to Cox Rd anyway, since it is out here in noman's land? Could it be there is still some activity going on here?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:20 AM

8,606 posts, read 12,215,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wilson, you are so sheltered. And I'd be willing to bet that more people would look at where you live and think it's "of another world" thank vice versa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
(LOL) Why, Wilson513, I am shocked! I doth believe that you've popped out of the closet and exposed yourself as a hardcore urbanite! What will everyone think of you NOW?
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
It is quite possible to live on 40k a year or even less without keeping a camper in your front yard.

My Friday night rant could have been tempered by some humility. I admit. And, I also admit to being somewhat of an elitist generally.

But, one does not have to live in places like that regardless of income or lack thereof. I suppose it was the traffic and not so much the uglyness and the RV's and the strip malls everywhere that affected me most.

I could go for five years in my little world (the six miles between Ault PArk and OTR) without ever seeing more than 10 cars stopped at a light in front of me. To spend five minutes at a traffic light only to move up five cars is something from another world. Or, traffic stopped, bumper to bumper on a four lane interstate ON RAMP. If I honestly thought a train or a flying saucer would cure this kind of thing I might support it.

But, there is another, simpler answer: Move to a place where you don't have to navigate all that crappola.

Last edited by Wilson513; 03-25-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 07:50 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,092,540 times
Quote:
...I could go for five years in my little world (the six miles between Ault PArk and OTR) without ever seeing more than 10 cars stopped at a light in front of me. To spend a five minutes at a traffic light only to move up five cars is something from another world. If I honestly thought a train or a flying saucer would cure this kind of thing I might support it. But, there is another answer: Move to a place where you don't have to navigate all that crappola.
Glad to see the thread get back on track and away from all the personal commentary. This comment doesn't address anything about traffic related to sprawl. But while Spring Grove Ave. and environs are nothing pretty to look at, but I'm always amazed at how empty those streets are during rush hour--while I-75 turns into its usual daily giant parking lot. I bet there are a lot of people who could use the older streets to get to and from downtown who've never even tried it. When did everyone here get so brainwashed into driving on the interstates?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,390,744 times
Quote:
Well, it took me 25 minutes to get from Cin Dayton Road to Cox Rd last night on Tylersville - no accidents no construction. So good luck with that.

For the record, that is exactly 1.72 miles. People who can tolerate that kind of traffic are of another world.
There HAD to have been an accident somewhere. My son and daughter-in-law have driven that stretch many, many times and they said it is darn near IMPOSSIBLE for it to take that long, even when there is construction on Tylersville.

I don't detect a bit of embellishment here, do I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati