Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 25,553 times

Advertisements

We are most likely relocating to Cincinnati later this year. My husband was just out there for several days (mostly working, very little time for investigating neighborhoods and so forth) and came away with the impression that the No KY suburbs would be a great fit for our family. We currently live in a city that straddles a border and I know that there are some large differences depending which side of the line you live on. Property taxes, gas prices, differences in state laws, education, etc.

For those of you that live there, what are the major differences between the two sides. What are your general impressions of the two states and how they are run? Also, how is commuting across the river? Again, the two states we live in are split by a big river and the bridge traffic can be awful!

We are looking to spend about $350-475k on a house. We have school age kids and dogs, so a yard and family friendly neighborhood is desirable. The location of my husband's work is fluid, so we can really live anywhere in the city. Living on or near a golf course is very important to him, I think Triple Crown was the one he really liked, but that is not set in stone. Comparable clubs, either public or private, would be fine.

Thanks for all your help, this forum has been a wonderful asset!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
I think the biggest difference between Northern KY and Cincy is the quality of schools. The best public high school in Northern KY wouldn't place in the top 10 of Cincy's best public high schools.

Secondly, the quality of public universities in Ohio is infinitely better than KY universities. I'd venture that only two Kentucky public universities would rank in the top 10 in Ohio (think about that for a moment). This is an important consideration if you believe your kids might want to reap the benefits of lower in-state tuition.

Additionally, the Brent-Spence Bridge which spans the Ohio River is likely to be rebuilt in the next five years. This would concern me as a Northern Kentuckian if my work took me into Ohio. The traffic delays are likely to be extensive.

All the top entertainment, cultural and sports amenities are in Ohio as are best restaurants. A couple of the Cincy hospitals are the best in the nation including Children's Hospital (top 5) and Shriners' Hospital.

The one big benefit I see in living in Northern KY is if your work required extensive air travel as living next to the airport would be very convenient.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Having lived about 30 years in Kentucky and now 11 in Ohio, I absolutely regret having moved into Ohio and especially into the City of Cincinnati where citizens really do not get the government services they're paying for. All in all, Kentucky's state government seems better run and more responsive to citizen concerns than does Ohio's. The tax on real property is a lot lower across the river than in Hamilton County. That said, of course most of the amenities associated with a large metro area are in Ohio.

If I had it to do over again, I'd want to find a home in one of the small, closer-in Kentucky cities such as Ft. Mitchell or Ft. Thomas, both of which have public school systems which can compete on quality with anything in Ohio. And they're just as close geographically to the center of town as many Ohio neighborhoods.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:54 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
If your husband is a golfer, I can see why he would be attracted to Triple Crown. A fine country club in a fine area. To me, Union KY is similar to where I live up north in Mason OH. Yes, it is a bit of a commute to downtown Cincy. But the growth in the area is mostly upscale neighborhoods, and these people will demand schools, etc be up to par (hic).

People talk about crime statistics, etc whenever advising on this forum. My personal barometer is medium family income. Let's face it, the ones with the higher income and also paying the higher taxes will be relentless in their pursuit of schools, safe neighborhoods, ad infinitum. If they don't get it they will move, thus the migration to the suburbs over the past several decades. The urban lifestyle is showing a resurrection, and it is just that, a coming back from the dead. But it still has a long way to go.

I keep hearing about urban pioneers. To me these are people who should rather be labeled gamblers. They are a lot more gambler than they are pioneer. They hope that the depressed price they pay for property will pay off if they invest some sweat equity and help to restore it to its formal glory. My personal opinion is they may save it from the demolition ball, but not restore it to its original glory. Why do I say that, very simply economics. They simply cannot afford to pay current restoration rates, and still keep the project afloat.

Why do you think Hyde Park remains consistently at the top of the most recommended neighborhoods in the City? Is it because they are all benevolent and peace loving citizens? No, it is because they average among the highest wage earners in the City and demand they get their just due. More power to them for that.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
Another consideration is that culturally speaking, Kentucky is a southern state and Ohio is a northern state.... I find Kentuckians nice people, but they're different. It's been awhile since I've been there, but I remember seeing statues of Confederate soldiers in Lexington (it shocked me when I saw it.....and made me realize I was a long way from home). Ohio produced generals like Sherman and Grant.

My family has also enjoyed the cultural amenities of the University of Cincinnati and Xavier. There's great theater productions and we've enjoyed watching some of the best college basketball in the country.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:15 PM

800 posts, read 781,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Another consideration is that culturally speaking, Kentucky is a southern state and Ohio is a northern state.... I find Kentuckians nice people, but they're different. It's been awhile since I've been there, but I remember seeing statues of Confederate soldiers in Lexington (it shocked me when I saw it.....and made me realize I was a long way from home). Ohio produced generals like Sherman and Grant.

My family has also enjoyed the cultural amenities of the University of Cincinnati and Xavier. There's great theater productions and we've enjoyed watching some of the best college basketball in the country.
You're flirting with some dangerous generalizations here. I've grown up and lived on the Ohio side my whole life and have found little changes after crossing over the river than peoples license plates.

While I believe Cincinnati is through and through a Midwestern city, to say the Southern influence magically stops at the river I find a bit naive.

Culturally the NKY suburbs and Cincinnati suburbs are pretty similar. The rural areas of say Kenton county very similar to rural areas of Clermont county, for example.

Lexington is not very reflective of the Cincinnati NKY area

Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
You're flirting with some dangerous generalizations here...Culturally the NKY suburbs and Cincinnati suburbs are pretty similar. The rural areas of say Kenton county very similar to rural areas of Clermont county, for example.

Lexington is not very reflective of the Cincinnati NKY area
Lexington is not reflective of the northern Kentucky area near Cincinnati at all. AND a lot of the generalizations I see tossed around on this forum about Lexington are reflective of it prior to about 1975. No bearing on the present at all.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:26 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Lexington is not reflective of the northern Kentucky area near Cincinnati at all. AND a lot of the generalizations I see tossed around on this forum about Lexington are reflective of it prior to about 1975. No bearing on the present at all.
I agree there is very little difference in the suburbs north and south of the Ohio river. People try and invent differences where there are few.

Now the events over the weekend in Lexington do exhibit at least a minority of the UK students exhibited a doohickey mentality. In the name of a famous coach, they DID NOT act like they had ever been there before. But I will just hold that against the State of KY as a whole, not everyone in the state. Maybe it is due to the fact there are NO professional major league baseball, basketball, or football teams in the State of KY. That may be the catalyst which sets this blind collegiate allegiance to another level. After all, if you have nothing to root for year after year, after 14 years you may get a little over zealous for the UK basketball program. That may be understandable. But again, please explain to them they have been there before, maybe not in their lifetime, but it has happened.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I agree there is very little difference in the suburbs north and south of the Ohio river. People try and invent differences where there are few.

Now the events over the weekend in Lexington do exhibit at least a minority of the UK students exhibited a doohickey mentality. In the name of a famous coach, they DID NOT act like they had ever been there before. But I will just hold that against the State of KY as a whole, not everyone in the state. Maybe it is due to the fact there are NO professional major league baseball, basketball, or football teams in the State of KY. That may be the catalyst which sets this blind collegiate allegiance to another level. After all, if you have nothing to root for year after year, after 14 years you may get a little over zealous for the UK basketball program. That may be understandable. But again, please explain to them they have been there before, maybe not in their lifetime, but it has happened.
I was pretty shocked at the photos and video of the events especially after the semi-finals. Tells me Lexington has changed quite a bit since I left, and probably not for the better. It's now likely even less like the nostalgic, genteel images of the wealthy horsey-set ladies in their fancy hats ambling around the paddock at Keeneland.

It's worth pointing out that UK now has won more NCAA tournaments (8) than any school other than UCLA. But that really doesn't explain a bunch of kids thinking it's cool to douse sofas with gasoline and set them on fire in the street.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
The only difference I know of is they eat funny chili in Cincinnati Ohio, I don't recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati