U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 7,060 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be moving to Cincy this summer and have started the search for an apartment. I searched around a bit and couldn't find a good, updated review of the downtown neighborhood.

I am in my early 30's, single, a doctor, and I don't know anybody in the Cincy area at all. I currently live in Memphis and I really enjoy the downtown area (very walkable to everything you need on a daily basis, good bars and food, close to the river park, rooftop ammenities, nice refurbished apartments).

I am looking for something like that in Cincy, where I will be able to mix in with a professional-type nightlife, other singles, and make friends. I have been drawn to the downtown area. Looking specifically at apartments with the Reserve on 4th and Race, The Gramercy on Garfield, and The Lofts at Shillito Place.

Could anybody advise me on downtown and these apartments?

. Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry?---Yes
. What specific topic have you not found answers to?-- updated young professional review of Downtown

. Where is you current location and environment? --Memphis, ghetto
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change?--a change

. Where will your work location be? --Bethesda and Good Sam hosptals, primarily
. Maximum commute time desired? --less than 30

. What is you budget for housing?
--hoping for around 1000
. Rent or buy?--Rent
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family)--Apartment
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths)--1 bed
. Other specifics?

. Neighborhood environment?
. Urban, young professional, nightlife
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment
. Very safe, low crime area?

. Schools?
. Not applicable

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.
--i'd like a busy young professional nightlife with good restaurants. also looking for apartments with rooftops for hanging out during the day
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 11:14 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,918 times
Ok, my opinion, is you are on the right track. Stick with downtown below Central Parkway. OTR is up and coming, and on track to be an awesome place, but it's still a little gritty, to out right ghetto in some places. I am saying you are already looking in the central business district. The nightlife fits your bill and you are a short cab/bus ride to Clifton, and Mount Adams. With CUF in between Ludlow St and Downtown there is about anything you could want to do with just about any age range.

Not to mention, should you develop a love for OTR, Vine and Main streets are a short walk / cab ride for you. By the way, Vine Street is more of a young urban professional crowd, where main is still a blend of hipster meets hip/hop, depending on the venue.

By the way, I have a friend on the 6th floor at the Lofts at Shiletto Place and it's an awesome place to live.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:20 PM

Nice, thank you very much. exactly what i wanted to hear

Old 04-07-2012, 12:25 PM

YW! Glad to know I could be helpful.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:09 PM

I saw some reviews of Shillito and some people were saying the walls are really thin. can anybody verify or refute that?

Old 04-07-2012, 03:55 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki512 View Post
I saw some reviews of Shillito and some people were saying the walls are really thin. can anybody verify or refute that?
Have no direct knowledge. But since it is a converted commercial building, I would expect the dividing walls to be constructed using metal studs. These by their very nature are going to transmit sound.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki512 View Post
I didn't notice a problem in my friend's spot. But perhaps you hear more when quiet? I can't neither confirm nor deny, but wasn't confronted with anything unusual.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:16 AM

26 posts, read 51,669 times
Reserve on 4th, which isn't even open til this summer, will probably be the nicest. I own a place in OTR, but if I were looking for a place to rent downtown right now, it would be at the top of my list. Your other options are solid as well but I would probably give Gramercy a leg up on Shillito based on location. Reserve is a bit farther away from the trendy restaurants on Vine (Senate, A Tavola, etc) and Walnut st. Bars (Righteous Room, Scene) you will want to frequent. The difference is only a few blocks though, and I would say it is worth it if the amenities live up to their descriptions. Gramercy does give you pool access though...

Old 05-02-2012, 01:33 AM

13 posts, read 21,580 times
What about the Mt. Airy, Colerain, Cheviot areas? They are 15 - 20 minutes away from your job their a few nice bars in Cheviot, Colerain has the mall and Mt Airy is like inbetween I guess. Colerain and Cheviot are nice Middle Class areas Mt Airy is like the lower part of Colerain but not by any means ghetto.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:27 AM

3,377 posts, read 3,694,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianNameX View Post
What about the Mt. Airy, Colerain, Cheviot areas? They are 15 - 20 minutes away from your job their a few nice bars in Cheviot, Colerain has the mall and Mt Airy is like inbetween I guess. Colerain and Cheviot are nice Middle Class areas Mt Airy is like the lower part of Colerain but not by any means ghetto.
You've got to be kidding, right? (Please reread the OP's expressed intent in moving into a vibrant downtown setting.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati