Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:47 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

Sorry, obviously the Dodgems were relocated to Kings Island. I don't know why I can't picture where they were on the Coney Mall replica. But they were there, along with the cuttllebug and other famous Coney Rides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I just don't remember the log flume at Coney. The Sky Ride definitely.

And the Ginkgo trees, most positively. As I posted earlier Coney Island was well respected in their industry. The Ginkgo trees were an excellent representation. Out of the ordinary and lent a flavor of class to the park.

While I remember many Coney rides being relocated at Kings Island, I do not remember the Dodgems. They were a perennial favorite at Coney, but I cannot recall a pavilion at Kings Island where they were installed. If there was a pavilion constructed to house them, what is it today?
The log flume was installed for the 1968 season at Coney. Perhaps because the ride was relatively new was why they moved it to KI. At Coney, the log flume was located almost at the end of the mall, near the final turn of the Shooting Star. There was a circular fountain in the center of the mall and it was situated right outside the entrance to the log flume. On the opposite side of the mall was the Lost River. For the last couple of seasons at Coney, they installed a metal roller coaster ride called the Galaxy next to the log flume. It also was later relocated to KI and renamed the Bavarian Beetle.

The Dodgems are still at KI on the Coney Mall, but the old Coney cars have long since been replaced.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 PM

When I think back about it, other than the new Twin Racer Roller Coaster, when Kings Island originally opened the majority of the rides were transplants from Coney Island. Three rides I remember at Coney but don't recall whether they were moved to Kings Island.

The Scrambler, a rotary ride which scared me to death. I know there was one at LeSourdsville Lake also. This ride was designed to be compact enough it could be broken down and transported to state fairs, carnivals, etc. It also had a rather lousy safety history.

The Rotor, a drum shaped ride where the floor dropped out beneath you once the rotational speed was sufficient to plaster you against the drum wall. Used to make me sick as a dog riding it.

A small roller coaster type ride with individual two-person cars running on a narrow metal tube track. Can't remember the name. but it had very abrupt turns and an illusion of speed because there were no side rails to give you confidence. What was that thing called? It was about in the center of the old mall at Coney on the south, river side facing the Shooting Star.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 PM

75 posts, read 120,219 times
Quote:
A small roller coaster type ride with individual two-person cars running on a narrow metal tube track. Can't remember the name. but it had very abrupt turns and an illusion of speed because there were no side rails to give you confidence. What was that thing called? It was about in the center of the old mall at Coney on the south, river side facing the Shooting Star.
Would that have been called the Tumble Bug?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
When I think back about it, other than the new Twin Racer Roller Coaster, when Kings Island originally opened the majority of the rides were transplants from Coney Island. Three rides I remember at Coney but don't recall whether they were moved to Kings Island.

The Scrambler, a rotary ride which scared me to death. I know there was one at LeSourdsville Lake also. This ride was designed to be compact enough it could be broken down and transported to state fairs, carnivals, etc. It also had a rather lousy safety history.

The Rotor, a drum shaped ride where the floor dropped out beneath you once the rotational speed was sufficient to plaster you against the drum wall. Used to make me sick as a dog riding it.

Yes, the Scrambler is still at KI. You're right...it's a pretty common ride and could be found most anywhere.

The Rotor was also at KI, but was taken down years ago. It was situated just behind the buildings on the left side of International Street. It was painted a yellow-orange color with a red roof, as I recall.

The two-car metal coaster is the one I was referring to in my last post...at Coney it was the Galaxy. When it was moved to KI, it was part of the Oktoberfest zone of the park and renamed the Bavarian Beetle.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:31 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
The Scrambler, a rotary ride which scared me to death.
I used to love the Scrambler. Now it makes me nauseous. *sigh*

Quote:
The Rotor, a drum shaped ride where the floor dropped out beneath you once the rotational speed was sufficient to plaster you against the drum wall.
Also known as the Round-up. Another one that makes me queasy with middle age.

Quote:
A small roller coaster type ride with individual two-person cars running on a narrow metal tube track.
I've been on this one in other parks, where it was called the Wild Mouse.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I used to love the Scrambler. Now it makes me nauseous. *sigh*

Also known as the Round-up. Another one that makes me queasy with middle age.

I've been on this one in other parks, where it was called the Wild Mouse.
Yes, the Wild Mouse, thank you.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibaschitz View Post
Would that have been called the Tumble Bug?
No, the Tumble Bug went about 5 miles per hour in a circle on an undulating track. At Coney, each "bug" shaped car was painted a different color. KI painted them all red in later years to resemble ladybugs.

The Tumble Bug was located right next to the Rotor at Coney, but at KI was situated at the entrance to the Racer.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Yes, the Wild Mouse, thank you.
There was a Wild Mouse at Coney...it predated the Galaxy by about 10 or 12 years. The Galaxy was bigger, and many of my family called it the Wild Mouse because they were so similar.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Sorry, obviously the Dodgems were relocated to Kings Island. I don't know why I can't picture where they were on the Coney Mall replica. But they were there, along with the cuttllebug and other famous Coney Rides.
If you are walking up the Mall from the entrance to the Racer toward the back of the park, the Dodgem pavilion is on your right, a little farther up than the old Fascination parlor. At Old Coney, the Dodgems were in the same pavilion with the Cuddle Up and the Whip. I most remember the Whip from LeSourdsville Lake...that ride felt like it was a 100 years old back in the 70s!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati