Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM

6 posts, read 25,553 times

Advertisements

I posted a few weeks ago asking about differences between KY and OH suburbs. In all my research I am leaning more and more at sending my kids to Clark Montessori. I am concerned a bit about living so close to downtown Cincinnati. While we spent the first 10 years of our marriage living in a 1920s cottage in a heavily urban area, the last 10 years have been out in the burbs and we have become accustomed to things like newer construction, large closets, 3 car garages and the like.

My question then is are there any areas near Clark (I know it is a magnet school, but am still unsure how far away I can live to be within area and also within a tolerable driving distance) where I can find a good neighborhood with newer houses. Our price range is somewhere between $325-450K. Also my husbands job is pretty fluid through out the area and doesn't factor much in the location we'll live.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeltine2 View Post
I posted a few weeks ago asking about differences between KY and OH suburbs. In all my research I am leaning more and more at sending my kids to Clark Montessori. I am concerned a bit about living so close to downtown Cincinnati. While we spent the first 10 years of our marriage living in a 1920s cottage in a heavily urban area, the last 10 years have been out in the burbs and we have become accustomed to things like newer construction, large closets, 3 car garages and the like.

My question then is are there any areas near Clark (I know it is a magnet school, but am still unsure how far away I can live to be within area and also within a tolerable driving distance) where I can find a good neighborhood with newer houses. Our price range is somewhere between $325-450K. Also my husbands job is pretty fluid through out the area and doesn't factor much in the location we'll live.

Thanks!
When you say newer, what age range do you mean in years? And when you say within a tolerable distance, what do you mean in either miles or minutes? Although you may find the occasional infill new construction home in the general area of that school, I think most homes within a few miles are going to be in the 40 to 50+ range.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 25,553 times
I guess tolerable distance would be 15-20 minutes drive. I'd prefer less, but am willing to stretch that far. As far as age, I'd be willing to look at homes built within the last 20 years. I know I'm asking a lot, just wondering if what I am asking for is even out there.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 PM

114 posts, read 228,762 times
First place i can think of is a small new neighborhood call Spencer Hill which is off Delta in Mt. Lookout. The houses were built in the last 10 years though they might be slightly above your price range. There is only one for sale right now and its over $500K:

http://http://www.sibcycline.com/viewlisting.asp?mls=1307032&b=CIN&p=RESI&s=SFRD&m= 1&sender=MapTab&a=747-Big%20Ben%20Ln-Mt.-Lookout-OH-45226 (http://http//www.sibcycline.com/viewlisting.asp?mls=1307032&b=CIN&p=RESI&s=SFRD&m= 1&sender=MapTab&a=747-Big%20Ben%20Ln-Mt.-Lookout-OH-45226 - broken link)

There is another suburban style neighborhood down the street off of Erie as you head towards Red Bank but again, the prices are possibly above your price range. Here's one of those for sale:

23 Hampton Ln Hyde Park OH Listing Details: Sibcy Cline Realtors® Cincinnati Real Estate

Honestly I think you are better off looking for an older home that has been re-done. There are so many people looking for the same thing as you (large closets, more bathrooms, bigger garages) that many of the homes in the Hyde Park area have been extensively renovated and updated. With your price range I think you should be able to find a very nice home that feels like new inside but still has some character and curb appeal outside.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
There's very little new construction in Hyde Park.

That's one of the reasons it's such a desirable neighborhood.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:05 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Sounds like if you find a house in your price range you better jump on it. Look at each house individually. If a house internally has modern kitchen, bathrooms, etc. it is every bit as good a buy as something newer.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:42 AM

Not sure how this turned into a Mt. Lookout/Hyde Park thread. I think that commute would be tough to fit into 15-20 minutes at the times children are going to or from school, and the housing stock as already mentioned isn't newer anyway. To the OP, I don't have a real solution to your question, but in your place and your price range I'd be looking for a renovated or updated home in the general areas of Clifton or Wyoming. The latter especially in the parts closer to the Winton Rd. corridor.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:06 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Not sure how this turned into a Mt. Lookout/Hyde Park thread. I think that commute would be tough to fit into 15-20 minutes at the times children are going to or from school, and the housing stock as already mentioned isn't newer anyway. To the OP, I don't have a real solution to your question, but in your place and your price range I'd be looking for a renovated or updated home in the general areas of Clifton or Wyoming. The latter especially in the parts closer to the Winton Rd. corridor.
I believe the school the OP was talking about is in Hyde Park ten or so blocks east of the square. An internet search showed me that there is another school by the same name near Winton Terrace.

If the OP is talking about the former, there are plenty of modernized houses in The HP/Mt Lookout that are in the appropriate price range. Columbia Tusculum is another place to look that is nearby and has some new construction in that price range.

If the OP is talking about the Winton Terrace location, I would recommend looking in Amberley for the price range given. The drive is about fifteen minutes and it is still Cincinnati Public school district.

It would probably help us get on the same page if the location was clarified.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I believe the school the OP was talking about is in Hyde Park ten or so blocks east of the square. An internet search showed me that there is another school by the same name near Winton Terrace.

If the OP is talking about the former, there are plenty of modernized houses in The HP/Mt Lookout that are in the appropriate price range. Columbia Tusculum is another place to look that is nearby and has some new construction in that price range.

If the OP is talking about the Winton Terrace location, I would recommend looking in Amberley for the price range given. The drive is about fifteen minutes and it is still Cincinnati Public school district.

It would probably help us get on the same page if the location was clarified.
Thanks, CG. I was only aware of the Winton Terrace location.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 AM

114 posts, read 228,762 times
Clark was in Hyde Park then moved to Winton Terrace while they built the new school and now is back to Hyde Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati