Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:09 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Round trip from Cincinnati to Chicago is not $120. Well unless you have a 18 gallon tank that gets 10 miles a gallon.
Just drove to Philadelphia over the weekend (New Jersey burbs, no less) and spent about $90 on gas for the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:51 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Round trip from Cincinnati to Chicago is not $120. Well unless you have a 18 gallon tank that gets 10 miles a gallon.

NW Chicago to Cincinnati is 325 miles OW, 650 RT. At 25 mpg, that is 26 gallons at $4 or $104.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
FlightAware > Live Flight Tracker

I think the above is the most interesting Internet air flight site I have ever seen. This tracks all flights from airport, by airport code, or by flight number or by tail number (general aviation private flights) and gives every detail of the flight in real time. Seriously. If your buddy with a plane is on the ground awaiting takeoff from Lunken, you can see his flight info in real time. Very cool.

Try it out.

PS: On commercial flights, it shows the range of ticket prices for the flight.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:13 PM

127 posts, read 182,935 times
Skytrax recently announced its World Airport Awards for 2014. Cincinnati ranked first in the United States, second in North America (behind Vancouver), and 27th worldwide. I normally don't think much of these 'best of' lists, but it seems like they have a somewhat sound methodology. They say on their website that the 2014 awards were based on "12.85 million survey questionnaires completed by 110 different nationalities of airline customers" and covered 410 airports worldwide. There's a list of factors that customers ranked on the survey. (You can access it here.) I should note one factor is not on there: price of airfare. CVG also grabbed second in North America in 2013 and 2012. Seems like the renovation of CVG has been pretty successful.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:46 AM

549 posts, read 848,638 times
I flew through CVG for the first time about a month ago (as I'd been flying out of Dayton because it's cheaper) and my first thought was "Wow, this place is nice." It costs more to fly out of because it's just a better airport in general. Locals hate it because we're cheap, but I preferred my CVG experience so much more than my Dayton experience that I'll probably just pay more in the future to use CVG. Still, my personal favorite airport in the country is TF Green in Providence. I'm curious what their cutoff was for ranking cities.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:00 PM

87 posts, read 166,560 times
Randomly, ProkNo5, is that in reference to Prokofiev (perhaps the fifth concerto)?
Back on topic, CVG certainly has nice facilities but given its size, it always felt like a ghost-town when I visited there. That's a good thing in many aspects because you can really fly through the security like nothing; it usually takes less than 15 minutes for check-in and security check. And the luggage pick-up, long-term parking, shuttle service are very well set up and organized. But compared to the bustle of the SF international (and the Incheon International.. ranked 2nd worldwide on that list) that I frequent, it feels bit eerie to me. And of course, finding affordable tickets have always been a challenge...

Old 04-02-2014, 07:47 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,271 times
I will second that, any time I fly into or out if CVG it feels empty. While the lack of a crowd is nice I always leave concerned about how the airport will stay afloat.

Never been a big fan of the multiple concourses requiring taking the tram. Much prefer CMH which is much smaller and walkable everywhere

Old 04-03-2014, 07:18 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
I will second that, any time I fly into or out if CVG it feels empty. While the lack of a crowd is nice I always leave concerned about how the airport will stay afloat.

Never been a big fan of the multiple concourses requiring taking the tram. Much prefer CMH which is much smaller and walkable everywhere
I am not concerned with a walkable airport. I sure as he*l don't intend to live there.

I have no problem with the tram. It gets me from where I am to where I need to go.

Compared to Dayton and Columbus, at least CVG gives the impression of a Modern Airport.

And their latest travel figures reinforce that. Noone contends they will regain the volume of the Delta Hub days, but I believe they will do very nicely going forward.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:29 AM

549 posts, read 848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoenberg3 View Post
Randomly, ProkNo5, is that in reference to Prokofiev (perhaps the fifth concerto)?
Back on topic, CVG certainly has nice facilities but given its size, it always felt like a ghost-town when I visited there. That's a good thing in many aspects because you can really fly through the security like nothing; it usually takes less than 15 minutes for check-in and security check. And the luggage pick-up, long-term parking, shuttle service are very well set up and organized. But compared to the bustle of the SF international (and the Incheon International.. ranked 2nd worldwide on that list) that I frequent, it feels bit eerie to me. And of course, finding affordable tickets have always been a challenge...
Haha. Close enough. Prokofiev's Fifth Symphony is my absolute favorite.

CVG didn't feel dead at all when I went there. It's certainly not the busiest airport int he world, but it felt pretty active. I'm glad they're reduced it down to one terminal though. I can't imagine that few people spread across three terminals.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:25 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
The old terminals were just that - old!. They felt like quonset huts. But the current terminal is big, bold, and beautiful! I found no problem with the tram. A modern conveyance for a modern airport. They just need to keep the traffic up so the various vendors are successful. I feel they are on the upswing and things are improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati