U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-06-2012, 05:54 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,027,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
...has its good points and and bad points. When it comes to neighbor relationships, my experience has been more bad than good--despite the fact that it's not my own politics or ethnicity.
Holy Cow, I just re-read my posting and I meant to say the exact opposite: my experience has been more good than bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 05:58 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,027,253 times
[quote=motorman;24621183...No matter how much our OP dreams of living in faraway Mayberry, there will a price that will have to be paid to work on the other side of the Millcreek Valley. Good luck.[/quote]

Yes, the OP might be able to find a home closer to their workplaces, but then the school system is likely to be a problem. And since s/he kept talking about safety, safety, safety, that might be a problem to them personally, too.

I disagree with your characterization of "faraway Mayberry." In the Cincinnati area, that would certainly be more like settling in Mason, Milford, Maineville, West Chester, or Florence, Ky. than in the location they asked about.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 AM

25,165 posts, read 30,831,750 times
I wouldn't see any safety issue with that neighborhood; I have friends that live nearby, and they like it just fine. The backyard of the house you're interested in looks really inviting. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:22 AM

8,705 posts, read 6,532,982 times
Quote:
I disagree with your characterization of "faraway Mayberry." In the Cincinnati area, that would certainly be more like settling in Mason, Milford, Maineville, West Chester, or Florence, Ky. than in the location they asked about.
Right on Sarah! The OP is simply looking for a good property for their money, in hopefully what will remain a safe neighborhood. To call it faraway Mayberry is a real stretch. The closest thing to Mayberry around here is either Lebanon, some of the small towns south of Florence, or maybe Blanchester.

But since they are not desiring to fight the problems of living in the City proper they are somehow diminished? That is my biggest problem with the urbanists, if you do not desire to follow their recipe for lifestyle you are labeled a traitor to society.

The comment about living where a lot of old people live really amuses me. I live in a neighborhood where a lot of old people live, many of us over 35 years. This is probably one of the most stable sections of our city. The houses are being kept up, the area is peaceful and safe. Of course many of us come from an era where we retired with pensions. The pension plus Social Security gives us a reasonable income. Looking toward the future I do not see a quality of senior life equal to ours. This does sadden me, as I feel my grandkids are facing a much harsher life than I experienced. And all of the urban revitalization in the world is not going to change that fact, just result in a higher upkeep cost.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 AM

25,165 posts, read 30,831,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
The closest thing to Mayberry around here is either Lebanon
Lebanon is more like Harper Valley. There's a reason the movie was filmed there ...

Quote:
The comment about living where a lot of old people live really amuses me. I live in a neighborhood where a lot of old people live, many of us over 35 years. This is probably one of the most stable sections of our city. The houses are being kept up, the area is peaceful and safe.
Agreed. When I moved to Madisonville, I was 32 years old, and at least three-quarters of my neighbors were either retired or getting ready to retire. It was a wonderful place to live -- I learned so much about the neighborhood and the city, because these were people who had been living in the same homes since the 40s or 50s. My neighbors even were able to tell me when the previous owner (also elderly) had replaced the roof, installed carpet, etc. etc. I found their assistance quite valuable!

Also, retired folks are home more often during the day, and are around to notice any suspicious activity or if anything went wrong. As a single woman, I received more offers of assistance and/or advice with home maintenance issues from my elderly neighbors than I did from my friends who were half their age. A more welcoming bunch of neighbors I have yet to see.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 AM

25 posts, read 23,843 times
I definitely realize that it's not quite as easy to get from West side of Cincinnati down into the area where UC and the hospital is compared to some areas. But to be frank, the housing is definitely more affordable for us right now in this area and the property taxes are definitely lower than in some areas.

We are currently renting an apartment over in Forest Park, and the commute is roughly 13 miles and takes us roughly 30-35 minutes down Winton Road. We looked around at some houses in that area (Forest Park, Greenhills, parts of Pleasant Run Farm and parts of Finneytown) but the property taxes are definitely higher and it looks like it would be about the same commute time wise anyway.

We took Queen City Ave in to the Hospital area after we viewed the house just to get a feel for the kind of travel it would be to and from work daily and it really didn't seem too bad, but we also didn't have to deal with heavy traffic as it was a weekend day. I do notice on the map it is roughly 4-5 miles closer than what we do now, so that's an obvious positive.

Either way, I definitely appreciate the feedback I have gotten from most on this and if anyone else has any more thoughts I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Yes, the OP might be able to find a home closer to their workplaces, but then the school system is likely to be a problem. And since s/he kept talking about safety, safety, safety, that might be a problem to them personally, too.

Safety is definitely one of our major priorities that we are considering when trying to find a neighborhood to purchase in. Couple that with trying to find a home that is more 'move in ready' and having a lower price range for housing that has ruled out suburbian areas like Mason, West Chester, etc..

The school district for us is more something we have viewed as something we would like to have going for us in case we do decide to have kids. (we are 27-28 yrs old with no kids in our future as we view it currently) And then if we choose not to have kids, we obviously know that a solid/quality school district can definitely help with the re-sale value of the home.

Having said all of this, based on what we have seen both from looking for houses online and physically viewing several houses in a few different areas, we felt as though this area felt the most comfortable for us. I just wanted to get some more confirmation other than based off of how it felt to us that it was indeed a safe area from some reputable folks on here.

If anyone on here has any other comments about the area OR has other suggestions on places for us to look that would be realtively affordable (~$130k housing price for 3bed/2bath w/ basement) that are in safe neighborhoods with solid schools and are closer than Bridgetown/Green Twp to the UC area I am all ears.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:11 AM

8,705 posts, read 6,532,982 times
OP - sounds like you have a handle on what you want and a realistic appreciation of the commute involved. If you feel the price/value is reasonable then do it. Even though I am an East Sider all of my life, if I was in your situation and found a property on the West Side I liked I would not hesitate to buy it. If you are renting in Forest Park, I cannot believe you will not like Bridgetown more. You have some others who have responded positively. I credit their positives as outweighing the negatives.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 AM

2,101 posts, read 1,472,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Right on Sarah! The OP is simply looking for a good property for their money, in hopefully what will remain a safe neighborhood. To call it faraway Mayberry is a real stretch. The closest thing to Mayberry around here is either Lebanon, some of the small towns south of Florence, or maybe Blanchester.

But since they are not desiring to fight the problems of living in the City proper they are somehow diminished? That is my biggest problem with the urbanists, if you do not desire to follow their recipe for lifestyle you are labeled a traitor to society.
Perhaps something's been "lost in translation" and is thus unclear to you, kybrill, but my observation still stands. First of all, you've tried to turn my comments into an unnecessary suburban-vs-urban conflict, which, in this case, they aren't. And second, you've disregarded the inevitable ordeals this couple will face as they drive to and from work (which could prove considerable, especially during inclement weather rush hour traffic).

It isn't the number of miles to their "Mayberry" that will hamstring this couple as much as it will be the lack of easy or quick access to their workplaces. There simply aren't any. No matter which route they choose (Glenway, Queen City, Harrison, or Montana Aves, I-74, Elberon, River Rd, or Western-Northern Blvd), there's no magic carpet route from that part of the metro, across the valley, and into the hospital district (or vice versa). Our OP and his wife really need to consider this before they make any long-term investment out in Bridgetown.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Perhaps something's been "lost in translation" and is thus unclear to you, kybrill, but my observation still stands. First of all, you've tried to turn my comments into an unnecessary suburban-vs-urban conflict, which, in this case, they aren't. And second, you've disregarded the inevitable ordeals this couple will face as they drive to and from work (which could prove considerable, especially during inclement weather rush hour traffic).

It isn't the number of miles to their "Mayberry" that will hamstring this couple as much as it will be the lack of easy or quick access to their workplaces. There simply aren't any. No matter which route they choose (Glenway, Queen City, Harrison, or Montana Aves, I-74, Elberon, River Rd, or Western-Northern Blvd), there's no magic carpet route from that part of the metro, across the valley, and into the hospital district (or vice versa). Our OP and his wife really need to consider this before they make any long-term investment out in Bridgetown.
Motorman, I respect your comments about the lack of easy/quick access routes from Bridgetown to the UC area (or the hospital district as you have called it)

Do you have any other reccomendations you could make to me then? Here are the perameters we have to work with:
Relatively affordable (~$130k housing price for 3bed/2bath w/ basement) that are in safe neighborhoods with solid schools and are closer than Bridgetown/Green Twp to the UC Area (Hospital District)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati