Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:23 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times

Advertisements

^^ Ya, it's a pickle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 08:15 AM

800 posts, read 950,505 times
It illustrates the idiocy of having basic community services in the hands of private business. We regulate electric service as a utility to keep areas from quite literally having the lights shut off. But a grocery store can (and they certainly do) close up shop in areas where people can't afford cars. If grocery stores were regulated, they could be forced to locate in areas well served by public transportation and could be subsidized in order to operate in unprofitable areas.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:18 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
When discussing grocery stores, several items come up.

There is a Kroger store near me on Kings Mills Rd, OH 741. It has been there quite a number of years. I wouldn't call it large, but certainly not small.

There is a much larger and newer store on Mason Montgomery Rd near Deerfield Township. But there are 3 reasons I do not like it. 1) The layout is clumsy, I always have the feeling I am going out of my way to find what I want. 2) Even though a large store the ceiling is not very high, so I get the feeling it is cramped. 3) The decor is terrible, feels dark and gloomy, like they went out of their way to make it uninviting.

There is a similar store on Tylersville Rd just across the Butler Co. line. I get the same feeling with that store.

I was concerned the one near me may be closed, since its traffic volume was obviously lower. But they recently constructed a large fuel center out in front and paid to widen 741 near their entrances to make them more accessible. I figure they would not do this if they had any plans to close the store.

I visit the store on 741 very frequently, likely 4 out of 7 days, as it is so close. I am not a very good planner so I am always deciding what to eat today on today. I find it a very cheery store and inviting to shop. First of all, it is brightly lighted and the entire store is decorated in very light colors, from the floors to the ceiling. This just gives it an inviting appeal. I also find the employees, whether behind the butcher counter where I also buy fish, to the Deli workers to be very pleasant and accommodating. To tell the truth, I know many of them are pushing senior citizen age.

Let's see, so far this week I bought a Cottage Butt on Monday to cook with green beans and potatoes. On Tuesday I bought a large round steak to cube up and make Texas style chili in the crock pot along with plenty of diced tomatoes and chili hot beans. On Wednesday I just bought some chuck patties to grill along with some baked beans, sliced cheese and tomatoes, lettuce and a slice of Vandalia onion on the bun.

The comment has been made you have to find your everyday needs at the local grocery. I totally agree with that. In fact, I find my every day needs just about every day at my local Kroger. Others may not fare so well.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:13 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
It seems to me that most respondents have said Sinton Ave. is a very nice, stable, and desirable area. It may not offer the ultimate in walkability, but you can't have everything. I would take safety, pleasant surroundings, and a place I can feel comfortable in anyday. You may have to plan your shopping trips, but that is manageable. Sounds to me you are looking at something with attractive living. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2012, 05:53 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
i agree that it is a good bet. my brother and i each lived in the area for a few years and really liked it. the beauty of renting is that after a year you can decide if you like the area or are ready to move on. i don't think you'll have any problems there. within walking distance, i also like the brewhouse on the corner of park and mcmillain for a good no-frills lunch or dinner. i also recommend downloading the schedule for bus route #1 (html link: http://www.go-metro.com/schedule/1/140 & PDF link http://www.go-metro.com/uploads/routes/RT1.pdf). enjoy city living and welcome to cincinnati!

Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Sinton is a very nice street, with some of the city's finest 19th century residential. It is a very short and easy drive to Downtown or you can take the bus on Gilbert Avenue which is one of the city's three busiest routes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i agree that it is a good bet... i also recommend downloading the schedule for bus route #1 (html link: Schedules: Cincinnati Metro - Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority & PDF link http://www.go-metro.com/uploads/routes/RT1.pdf). enjoy city living and welcome to cincinnati!
Really glad that you mentioned this unique and unappreciated # 1 route--which has been a public transit option for many decades (when I was a child, my mom simply referred to it as the "Zoo-Eden" bus). Meanwhile, it doesn't hurt to reemphasize how well Sinton is served by both the popular # 4 route, which offers the option of traveling north to either Blue Ash, Kenwood, or Oakley or the popular # 11 route, which veers eastward through either Oakley or Hyde Park, to end at Madisonville.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:56 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Better still with the perhaps-aptly numbered 1, the route was reconfigured for the umpteenth time a couple of years ago. It's now pitched as the "1 for fun" b/c it meanders around Mt Adams and Eden Park before passing the zoo and continuing on to the Museum Center at Union Terminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati