U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 8,728 times

Advertisements

I have been living in the Pendleton neighborhood for a year and have tried, unsuccessfully, about 20 times to get Time Warner to service my home. I've spent countless hours on the phone with their customer service reps and also with a sales guy who came door-to-door last year. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why TW cannot service my place. The customer service reps on the phone cannot figure it out, either - I get a different answer every single time I talk to someone.

Has anyone experienced this near DT? Or does anyone know a direct contact at TW that could possibly help?

I know that posting on here is a shot in the dark, but I am so desperate for faster internet.. I've been living off Cincinnati Bell's DSL and it is SLOW. PAINFULLY SLOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 03:02 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,307,011 times
If you are paying monthly for it. I would ask for a refund. That's totally unacceptable. Try Direct Tv.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:16 AM

1,824 posts, read 984,233 times
I don't know much about Time Warner, but I have AT&T U-verse and like it quite a bit. Customer service is hit and miss, although I've had some really good c/s at times. Worse part of their service is that they keep creeping the bill up, and I have to keep calling about every six months threatening to either take my bundle package elsewhere, or break up my services since there's no cost benefit to having the bundle. They cave almost every time. I hate having to negotiate for lower prices though. On the positive side I've never had a problem with their services in the two years I've had it, and love the 'free dvr'. It comes free with U-200 or higher. I have U-300. Biggest negative in pricing is I think they charge too much for internet service, including making you rent a piece of equipment for $6/month. However the discounts I keep getting have made it worth it. Right now I'm getting $10 off tv, $5 off each for phone and internet.

On scout.com they have forums for the different sports teams. Not sure how active the Bengals forum is, but there are alot of people who post on the Browns forum, and they often talk in the 'Watercooler' section about off-topic issues like that. Considering there are some Browns fans who live around Cinci, I bet you could get your question answered there if you can't in the Bengals section. Just don't mention you're a Bengals fan.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:14 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,389,317 times
I am somewhat confused by AT&T U-verse. Best I can tell it is still delivered across a telephone lne. But I am confused where it is a regular landline or a wireless cell phone line. I see mention of a wireless gateway which leads me to believe it is a wireless cell phone type connection. I knew this was coming but am surprised it is available at a price someone can afford. A typical home can suck up a lot of capacity with a TV left on 24 hours a day, a couple of PCs connected to the internet for like 12 hours a day, etc.

The actual technical information on the AT&T websites is very lacking, basically only sales pitches.

The wieless gateway they speak of. How is the TV connection made, via the older coaxial cable system many homes are wired for or something else? How is channel selection accomplished, via the TVs internal tuner or a separate cable like box? How much do these cost a month?

For the internet, I assume the wireless gateway provides a standard Ethernet interface which I could plug into a router to serve my home network?

And the phone, I read where the wireless gateway has a battery backup which will keep the phone operable for about 4 hours providing no other provisions of the service are utilized. Most of our power outages are resolved within 4 hours, but just recently we have people going for more like a week in stiffling weather with no power to run their AC. So it is a gamble.

As I am learning, buyer beware of what you are signing up for.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Not sure how much help I'll be, as I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this type of stuff.

Their wireless router is something fairly new I believe. It wasn't available that I know of two years ago when I started service with them.

My service comes through the phone line. There's a black box that sits next to the router and is connected to it. All of my services hook up to the router - for television service, internet, and phone. It is a landline, and they like to push, push, push their cell phone service through email offers and almost every time I call them.

I've wondered how the wireless service would work for everything, but it does look neat to be able to move your tv around without having a cable attached to the back of it.

My tv service does have a box that sits by the tv. I have an old tv so have to turn on the tv on separately, but it's an off brand and wasn't listed in the technician's manual to set it up to controlled with just the U-verse remote. The box that sits by the tv doesn't cost anything extra, I don't think. It's part of the price of their tv service. The dvr service is controlled in that box with the remote.

As far as the router, I think it's just a standard ethernet connection, but honestly, I really don't know much about it. It's the first router I've ever used and it's their equipment. I am able to hook up a couple of computers to it, and even had MagicJack Plus plugged into it for a short time (until I realized it was junk).

Best suggestion I can give is to call them and if the sales rep doesn't seem to grasp your questions, ask if you can talk to the tech department.

Also, watch for special deals. When I signed up they had a great promotion going on, and I ended up with a $250 pre-paid debit card after having service for a certain amount of time (30, 60, 90 days?). Since then their deals haven't been anything spectacular like that, but they still offer deals sometimes. You could ask what they have going on.

Just keep in mind, many people have complained about their customer service, but I've been able to work with them for the most part. Just have to threaten to break up my bundle once in awhile to get a promotional price on my services. Afterall, if I have a bundle package I should be getting a discount.

U-verse would be worth checking out in my opinion.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:58 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,389,317 times
This AT&T U-verse is still confusing. I know AT&T does not operate physical lines in the Cincinnati area. But that does not prevent them from sub-leasing from any local company who does. But a standard telephone line capable of delivering the bandwidth to operate a TV - unbelievable. But they keep improving the technology all the time. Do I assume this black box you have is simply plugged in, no having to dial like the old days? This is the equivalent of a telephone connection 24/7.

I realize I am somewhat out of touch with the current technology at my age. But none of the web sites do anything to help clarify what is going on. Their technical content frankly sucks. It is like they want to keep us in the dark and to who is doing what and how.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:39 PM

The black box is plugged into the wall, and connects to the router.

Wish I could help more with info, but I know even less than you about techno 'stuff'.

Keep in mind that they've probably updated the way they do things since I started service with them two years ago.

By the way, they have a forum area on their website. Maybe someone with more expertise than I could answer your questions.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:05 PM

577 posts, read 1,006,282 times
I would have thought that Cincinnati Bell would have their Fioptics network in place where you are. You should look into that for Internet and television instead of dealing with the DSL connection.

As far as Time Warner, who needs them. WLWT Channel 5 was replaced by a Terre Haute station because of a legal dispute.

Time Warner-Hearst Television dispute enters Day 2 | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati