U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:08 PM

25,597 posts, read 32,377,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2Bcincy View Post
2. Private school culture in Cincinnati: I heard from more than one source that "Everyone in Cincinnati (suburbs included) sends their kids to private schools." A good school system has been really important to us since we sort of naturally assumed we would send our kids to public school since this is what both me and my wife are used to. However, given this possible culture in Cincy our kids could still be the odd ones out in their neighborhood if all of the others go to private school.
Balderdash! Your kids will be fine. Forest Hills is a very solid school district. I can't see private schools being any advantage over the public district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 PM

4,232 posts, read 3,106,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Turpin is definitively better than Anderson both academically and in most sports.

No it is not.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:48 PM

581 posts, read 250,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
No it is not.
Turpin's OGT scores saw it ranked s high 7th in the state of Ohio in the past 5 years. In fact the current US News and World Report has Turpin ranked in the top 25 of Ohio High Schools, Anderson did not even crack the top 50.

And in sports:

Football is the only sport in which Anderson can claim superiority, however while Anderson was founded in 1920, it has had one state championship in football and I believe one other at most, while Turpin has had 7 state championships alone between the boys and girls soccer teams alone, not to mention a championship in women's xc and I believe one or two others. In fact Anderson's mens soccer team has not beat Turpin's in more than two decades. I could go on with other sports Swimming, Tennis, Lacrosse etc. but it'd just be a waste of time

Old 07-09-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Turpin's OGT scores saw it ranked s high 7th in the state of Ohio in the past 5 years. In fact the current US News and World Report has Turpin ranked in the top 25 of Ohio High Schools, Anderson did not even crack the top 50.

And in sports:

Football is the only sport in which Anderson can claim superiority, however while Anderson was founded in 1920, it has had one state championship in football and I believe one other at most, while Turpin has had 7 state championships alone between the boys and girls soccer teams alone, not to mention a championship in women's xc and I believe one or two others. In fact Anderson's mens soccer team has not beat Turpin's in more than two decades. I could go on with other sports Swimming, Tennis, Lacrosse etc. but it'd just be a waste of time

Soccer - now that's the REAL way to choose a school !

Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 AM

25,597 posts, read 32,377,539 times
If you're a soccer player, or if your kid plays soccer ...

Old 07-09-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If you're a soccer player, or if your kid plays soccer ...

That will take you far in the working world...

Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 AM

8,718 posts, read 7,028,840 times
Quote:
That will take you far in the working world...
As will high school football. So what is the purpose in this?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 AM

8,718 posts, read 7,028,840 times
There was a day when High School was the culmination of one's scholastic career. So HS graduations were filled with raucous celebrations. That is still true today for a large percentage of students.

Instead of such things as soccer or football teams, or other measurements, look up the most meaningful one - what percentage of graduates have gone on to college over the last 10 years. And then try and find the even more meaningful one which I believe most HS do not compile - what percentage of them graduated college.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
As will high school football. So what is the purpose in this?

You tell me. Somebody said 1 high school should be picked over another due to the perceived sports teams.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:40 AM

581 posts, read 250,938 times
Quote:
You tell me. Somebody said 1 high school should be picked over another due to the perceived sports teams.
Not at all the entirety of my argument, the first stats I put in my last post centered on academics, only after that did I discuss the topic of sports. You then responded by making fun of soccer.

It is only fair to tell the op the statistics for the sake of information.

And yes if you want your kid to play college sports/receive athletic scholarships than I would say the athletics have some sort of relevance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati