Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,303 times

Advertisements

The major school-shooting events around the country are almost exclusively suburban or rural, for some reason. And, sadly, you don't have to go very far to find an example. Just look at Chardon near Cleveland.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 07-08-2012 at 12:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 12:26 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,541,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Woodward is one of the newest schools in the entire metro. Someone said broken arm? Well my response to that, you can get killed by being shot by students in suburban schools.
Suburban vs inner city is incidental. I'm sure the parents who send their kids to Walnut Hills breathe easier than those who send their kids to Woodward. And what impact does a new building have on the behavior of the students if it's still filled with the same knuckleheads??? Are you one of those who are deluded by the myth that new facilities produce better students?

Without a doubt, suburban schools have their share of delinquents...every school does. However, some, such as Woodward have a significantly higher percentage of them. In my friend's case, she was terrified of many of her students, and the administration gave her very little support (a story I have heard echoed by other CPS teachers). She went in there with a lot of high ideals about helping disadvantaged kids and trying to make a difference, and it resulted in a trip to the hospital. Your average teacher should be expected to handle at least a couple of miscreants in the classroom, but if you teach at a school like Woodward, you should be prepared to handle many more than that.

I don't think you can ever let your guard down, no matter where you teach or go to school. Maybe it's just me, but it seems the headline grabbing mass shootings and conspiracies seem to happen most often in the "good" schools, where no one seems to expect that kind of behavior on a day to day basis, and the parents are supposedly more involved in their kid's lives. These situations seem to take time to develop and require planning, often money, and are perpetrated by the "kept to himself, never was any kind of trouble" kid. On the other hand, schools like Woodward are immersed in a culture violence that is likely to break out at any second, driven by emotion and a lack of basic values. Many of these kids simply don't know how to behave and have never been taught respect for others, so it's no big deal to grab a stapler off the teacher's desk and whack another kid in the back of the head with it (I've seen that one first hand). So, in the so-called blackboard jungles, there is always this underlying tension, a pervasive fear that anything could happen at any time. It probably won't be a kid coming in a gunning down 10 of his classmates, but it will be a broken arm, a gang fight, and a few stitches here and there. Because it happens with such frequency and because the crimes are less severe, no one outside of the school gives it much notice.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:58 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,788,546 times
t45209...

Some of what you say I totally agree with. My daughter-in-law has been a career English teacher in a close-in suburban school district, not CPS, to Cincinnati. She has been sent to the hospital twice by female students of hers. It is a rough district and I keep imploring her to leave but she refuses. She is one of those idealistic people who believe they can make a difference. Over the years she has mentored some students to get an opportunity at college and they have come back later just gushing all over themselves thanking her. This is the reason she does what she does.

We need teachers who will work in the troubled districts and try to make a difference. Otherwise the students there are just doomed to failure.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:46 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,541,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
t45209...

Some of what you say I totally agree with. My daughter-in-law has been a career English teacher in a close-in suburban school district, not CPS, to Cincinnati. She has been sent to the hospital twice by female students of hers. It is a rough district and I keep imploring her to leave but she refuses. She is one of those idealistic people who believe they can make a difference. Over the years she has mentored some students to get an opportunity at college and they have come back later just gushing all over themselves thanking her. This is the reason she does what she does.

We need teachers who will work in the troubled districts and try to make a difference. Otherwise the students there are just doomed to failure.
While I don't want to open the can of worms on teacher pay, it does take a special individual to put up with that kind of garbage on what many teachers make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati