U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:53 PM

13 posts, read 39,244 times

Advertisements

Hello I was offered a job at a school on Reading Road. I think it is near Bond Hill. Can someone tell me where I should be looking to live? I also have a 16 year old, so I will looking at high schools. I am originally from Ohio but I am not familiar with Cincinatti. I want to be in a safe area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 02:01 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmazik View Post
Hello I was offered a job at a school on Reading Road. I think it is near Bond Hill. Can someone tell me where I should be looking to live? I also have a 16 year old, so I will looking at high schools. I am originally from Ohio but I am not familiar with Cincinatti. I want to be in a safe area.

Thanks
Cincinnati.

It's the third most misspelled city in the U.S., trailing only Pittsburgh and Tucson.

The Most Misspelled Cities in America

Old 07-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 23 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,132,956 times
Bond Hill is in THE Hood. Ever watched First 48?

Old 07-06-2012, 04:07 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,098,710 times
I'm hard pressed to think of any school in Bond Hill on Reading other than Woodward High School. A friend of mine taught there. Had her arm broken by student. Nice place.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:38 AM

4,748 posts, read 11,359,823 times
Y'know, there are some amazing people out there who can walk into a "blackboard jungle" situation and not only survive but bring the place up. I tip my baseball caps to those people. Teaching (if that's to be the OP's job) at Woodward would definitely be, uh, challenging. It has a brand-spanking-new $37 million renovation/addition, yet recently a newspaper story told of someone who graduated in the top 10% of her class having to take remedial courses in order to be "college-ready." CPS schools other than the uber-prestigious Walnut Hills High are still on a slow road to recovery after having their quality collapse in the tumult of the 1960's. But the most recent of endless school-rankings lists shows that a couple of the open-enrollment high schools have clawed their way up to mid-range from the cellar. Of course that's cold comfort to somebody who has a child that's 16 NOW.

Nothing's new under the sun, including vague inquiries to City-Data. Based on inference I think the OP could find a convenient, nice, affordable home in a safe community with decent schools by looking to none other than Reading. It's the first suburb north of Cincinnati, traversed by the street with the same name. Though once a "sundown town" it's become a far more diverse place over the past couple of decades. Despite there being a nasty crime-laden pocket not too far away - between Galbraith and Summit along Reading Rd - Reading itself is a quiet "Mayberry" type of environment. The older "village" section has houses of all shapes and sizes (and degrees of repair need.) Climb the hill, it IS a climb, and you'll find a ton of Cape Cods and ranch houses from the 1940's to '60s. Not only is food shopping there a breeze, Reading boasts the beloved Glass Barn, a prototype of a "big box" store with its vast cinderblock building. You can find "anything" in that place although you'll be sneezing from the dust!

Much talk is done about the supposedly hard-core "ghetto" environment of Bond Hill and Roselawn, when it's forgotten that misfortune befalls few who are not in "the life" of slinging guns and drugs. Because a 16-year-old is involved I won't trot out my usual sales pitch for these neighborhoods (which undeniably have some "hot spots" but also contain plenty of tranquil, tree-lined streets of beautiful homes.) After all, peer pressure rules the day at that age. Not that many parents are eager to see their offspring hanging on a corner doing who knows what.

Other pleasant, affordable sections not too far from Bond Hill are Hartwell + Pleasant Ridge + Golf Manor + Silverton + Kennedy Heights (all CPS), Lockland and Arlington Heights (fair-to-middling Lockland schools), Deer Park + Norwood (good schools), and parts of southern/eastern/northern Wyoming (outstanding schools but crazy taxes.)

Old 07-07-2012, 07:05 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,853,365 times
If the assumptions are right and you will be working at Woodward, god bless you. But I would be looking at Reading or Norwood simply because they are not CPS for that 16 year old of yours.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:41 AM

13 posts, read 39,244 times
Thanks for all of the good information.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,922,513 times
Bond Hill has some nice pockets if you are interested in living close to work. The new villages of daybreak area is basically a suburban development in an outer city neighborhood. It is expansive and very middle-class and mixed race. I'm not saying it is great, but it isn't some place you'd have to worry about safety on your street and it is quite affordable.

In "old Bond Hill," the Towanda drive pocket is very nice, stately and well-kept older homes.

A little to the south is the Paddock Hills area, which is also older, well kept homes.

You would be in CPS and choose a magnet high school for your son, such as Walnut Hills (best high school in the state) or Clark Montessori. Either offer a quality, somewhat diverse/integrated education.

If you're interested in living in Bond Hill, it is doable, but know that you will be in a pocket neighborhood and much of the neighborhood--especially the main corridor--is abandoned and rough.

A family looking for the suburban life (god knows you might get your fill of urban issues at work) would probably choose West Chester and commute down.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:50 AM

4,748 posts, read 11,359,823 times
Which school will you be at, in fact? Everybody's assuming Woodward but there are also some charter schools in that area (none of them worth "e-mailing home about" either, at face value.)

Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,381,867 times
Woodward is one of the newest schools in the entire metro. Someone said broken arm? Well my response to that, you can get killed by being shot by students in suburban schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati