Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:19 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,702,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Connecting this topic to Cincinnati really seems like a stretch. That said, I'm sure Consumer Reports has the resources of staff and expertise to crunch statistical numbers about various industries, health care included. Personally given the risks of unexpected adverse events arising from hospitalization these days, I'll take any halfway solid information I can get.
You may be surprised to find out how limited the staff of Consumers Union really is. Years ago they were the only game in town, and depended heavily on subscriptions to the magazine. Frankly it amazes me Consumers Union has been able to maintain a non-profit position, since their published findings have affected so many businesses. I would have declared them a profit organization years ago. It must be nice to work for a non-profit, I wonder what their retirement plan is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 07:19 PM

603 posts, read 942,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I just do not find Consumer Reports to be the vehicle to inform me on this topic, they have no established track record in this arena, they are out of their league. Sounds to me like their established business is shrinking like so many print media, so they need to take a new course to bolster their image. And lord knows healthcare is a major subject to deal with. But I prefer to hear from those engaged with the subject for years instead of someone last dealing with ratings of lawn mowers.
Consumer Reports helped found the Center for the Study of Services, which has been studying healthcare, insurance plans, doctor & hospital quality, and drug studies since the mid '70s. That is likely where they are pulling their data.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 PM

Apparently the BBB has no active complaints against the Center for the Study of Services. At the same time, reading this report does not give me a good feeling they even know what the Center is.

Center For The Study Of Services Review - PUBLISHERS-PERIODICAL in Washington, DC - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Metro Washington, DC and Eastern Pennsylvania

How many of these non-profits exist in DC? Non-profit means no taxes while the goovernment drains the rest of us to the bones.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:57 AM

3,810 posts, read 6,395,893 times
That's it. Cincinnati/NKY are OUT!!!!

Kidding.

I'm going to put this in the simplest terms I can. These lists/rankings are a JOKE.

Every hospital/clinic I've worked at has somehow been ranked in the top 100 in the nation at some point. Either that's just a really fortunate coincidence for me, or there's a whole lotta lists out there being compiled by folks who are getting paid to fill magazines/cyberspace, newspapers, etc.

Yes.....the latter.

Funny how a spot in that article mentioned the bottom ranked hospital doing too many CT Scans. I know of a hospital in my area (not saying it's mine, not saying it isn't) where physicians use CT Scans like they're medicine or something. Radiation safety is an afterthought.......and it's not just this hospital that operates that way. It's all CYA in the end.....you better believe that. If something gets missed and a CT wasn't ordered, then the doc gets sued. That's just the way it is.

On the other hand......job security for me!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,735,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
That's it. Cincinnati/NKY are OUT!!!!

Kidding.

I'm going to put this in the simplest terms I can. These lists/rankings are a JOKE.

Every hospital/clinic I've worked at has somehow been ranked in the top 100 in the nation at some point. Either that's just a really fortunate coincidence for me, or there's a whole lotta lists out there being compiled by folks who are getting paid to fill magazines/cyberspace, newspapers, etc.

Yes.....the latter.

Funny how a spot in that article mentioned the bottom ranked hospital doing too many CT Scans. I know of a hospital in my area (not saying it's mine, not saying it isn't) where physicians use CT Scans like they're medicine or something. Radiation safety is an afterthought.......and it's not just this hospital that operates that way. It's all CYA in the end.....you better believe that. If something gets missed and a CT wasn't ordered, then the doc gets sued. That's just the way it is.

On the other hand......job security for me!
You might also look up St. Elizabeth's Medical Center, Dayton, Ohio, mid-1980's, in regard to concern about patients. Said hospital no longer exists as such.

Postscript: and for those who want another list:

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/Chri...nation_7687472

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 07-17-2012 at 06:51 AM..

Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 PM

CarpathianPeasant....

I am sure your desire to point out lackings in our hospital system has the best of intentions. And I personally believe there are many areas where the service could be improved and the costs lowered. But we are currently captured in the era of Big Government Intervention in Everything, and it is only getting worse. Added to that is the Internet impact on the print media which is driving them bankrupt.

Why do I want a subscription to any print media? I can find more information on the Internet than any of them offer. Also, I can claim to be Green Conscious if I help prevent them from cutting down more trees.

We have let virtually all of our subscriptions to print media lapse, including the daily newspaper. They are out of touch and always behind.

So I have very little regard for studies, evaluations, etc. issued by the likes of Consumers Reports or U S News and World Report. Why? Because I believe their economic base is eroding out from under them. The print media is dying a not so slow death.

What I don't understand is why some of the more reputable organizations, such as Consumer Reports, has not embraced this digital age. I would consider a subscription to an online version of the magazine, delivered to me by email. No actual printing costs, handling and mailing, etc. Just email the notice and I can get online and view the product. The other benefit would be I can go back and scan prior editions for articles I may have missed. Some of the print media are headed for the junkyard if they don't step up and embrace this new era.

The ones who jump online with reasonable rates will be the winners. The rest will just fade into the sunset.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,951,122 times
Wow. I was so disbelieving of the implication that Consumer Reports wasn't available in an electronic version that I just visited the web site. Unless I'm mistaken, only after you subscribe to the print magazine can you BUY an accompanying online subscription for ANOTHER $20. That's just stupid.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:33 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,951,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
You might also look up St. Elizabeth's Medical Center, Dayton, Ohio, mid-1980's, in regard to concern about patients. Said hospital no longer exists as such.

Postscript: and for those who want another list:

List of best hospitals in the Tri-State
Well, I've been an inpatient in two of the hospitals on the list (neither being Christ). I had a good experience at one and experienced horrible nursing care at the other. Commented recently to a friend that I thought I'd been through the best and the worst of what the area has to offer. Turned out she'd been in the same two hospitals, but her impressions were the reverse of mine.

I still find any statistics on things like rates at which a hospital kills patients via various errors pretty compelling, though.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:37 PM

603 posts, read 942,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Wow. I was so disbelieving of the implication that Consumer Reports wasn't available in an electronic version that I just visited the web site. Unless I'm mistaken, only after you subscribe to the print magazine can you BUY an accompanying online subscription for ANOTHER $20. That's just stupid.
You don't need to have a print subscription for CR's digital access. They separate the two.

However, if you get a print subscription, you'll get the iPad edition too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati