Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:10 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,447,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I agree, someone coming in with a prejudice against the area is likely not worth spending time on. We should only request they keep an open mind and decide what they dislike and like about the area based on first hand contact. They may be surprised and find out the likes outweigh the dislikes.

Years ago, we moved a person from the LA section of California to Dallas Texas. At first he was extremely upset. The first thing he realized was the small 3-bd ranch house he sold in an LA suburb bought him a 12-acre spread outside of Dallas. So now he is less pissed off. Today he is a died in the wool Texan and could care less about California. My point is search out what is inviting if you are required to move. You might find out it is actually enjoyable.
I agree with this sentiment. Starting a thread like this is no way to get me interested in offering suggestions. There are plenty of previous threads from newcomers excited to come to town that the OP can peruse. Otherwise, he'll figure the city out himself. If the OP is like most people, he'll probably love its character, personality and quirks. I'll lay 50/50 odds that Mr. Reluctant ends up staying indefinitely.

And, no, we don't eat only Skyline around here anymore than Californians eat In-N-Out Burger all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times
I eat Skyline every chance I get. I dunno about you guys ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Well said. I'll take someone's post seriously when they're ready to be respectful, and ask intelligent questions.
Seriously, when you are completely unfamiliar with any location, how intelligent can your questions really be? And is there anything wrong with admitting that you're apprehensive about moving, or that you don't know if you'll like living in a place that's radically different from your point of origin?

Some of the reactions to the OP once again illustrate how thin-skinned and reactionary Cincinnatians can be when people ask direct questions about possible negative characteristics (which every city has -- yes! even Cincinnati) about the area.

OP -- not everyone in Cincinnati is like that. I wish you the best in your move.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,823,685 times
^Really? This forum is only about 0.001 sampling of the population. How can you say Cincinnatians are like that????

Old 07-23-2012, 12:47 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
^Really? This forum is only about 0.001 sampling of the population. How can you say Cincinnatians are like that????
Because I lived there for 21 years and have heard it all before?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:36 PM

15 posts, read 19,768 times
Thank you for the responses. Wow, I am surprised by some of the comments:

Quote:
I agree, someone coming in with a prejudice against the area is likely not worth spending time on. We should only request they keep an open mind and decide what they dislike and like about the area based on first hand contact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Well said. I'll take someone's post seriously when they're ready to be respectful, and ask intelligent questions.
I was being honest about my feelings. Had no idea I would receive such a negative reaction. I have more apprehension now than before. Is that the type of welcome I should expect just by saying I don't like your city tell me things you like about it?

I know you do not eat just Skyline chili, but you are known for that, among other things. As for where I am moving from . . . California wine country.

Thank you Ohiogirl181 for understanding and being decent.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:46 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,447,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali722 View Post

I was being honest about my feelings. Had no idea I would receive such a negative reaction. I have more apprehension now than before. Is that the type of welcome I should expect just by saying I don't like your city tell me things you like about it?

I know you do not eat just Skyline chili, but you are known for that, among other things. As for where I am moving from . . . California wine country.

Yes. And it's exactly the same reaction I'd get if I went into a Sacramento, Bay Area or Wine Country forum saying I don't like it there and, unfortunately, am being transferred against my will. I'm sure I'd get a lot of "Stay where you are then, we don't want you either" responses. I know you're not from SoCal or Los Angeles, but look at the vicious responses on the national boards to anyone who dares express dislike for those areas.

However, if you're like the overwhelming majority of prospective newcomers and approach Cincinnatians in a nice way, you'll get plenty of people happy to help you and try ease your concerns. Of course people moving into a new city are going to have concerns, but you don't have to insult the city on your way in. That's not going to make you many friends in Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Reno, the Bay Area, Wine Country, Lake Tahoe or anywhere else.

Incidentally, I had a job offer in Fairfield, Calif., once and, after visiting, couldn't decline their offer fast enough. If you don't like it somewhere, don't move. You only live once.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:48 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,912,415 times
Quote:
While I know you have a place in Mt Washington, check out Hyde Park. It may be worth it to get out from under your lease.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:09 PM

912 posts, read 1,517,594 times
I'm moving to Cincinnati (from Memphis) for my husband's job, and while I'm apprehensive, I'm excited too. I've been doing a lot of research, both on here and elsewhere, and feel at least somewhat prepared for the move. No place is perfect, but there are things to like anyplace you go -- Cincinnati seems like it has a lot going for it, and while I'm having to compromise in some ways (seriously, why is it so hard to find a fenced in backyard for under $1500/month?!), I feel like I'm getting a lot in return.

As one newcomer to another, welcome! It will all be all right.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,700,854 times
Quote:

You come wading in here like you had just been banished to the throes of Hell, how do you expect to be treated? There is an answer, tell the DH to quit his job and get another so you can stay where you are. I feel Cincinnatians are quite good at welcoming newcomers. But when they start right off dishing the place to death that is likely what they will get in return. Enough said

Now if you want to calm down and ask a few more questions I am sure some here will be glad to help. First item is you have leased a house in the CPS district. Now you must figure out how to make the best of it. I would kick the DH in the proverbial you know what for committing to a house before he determined the schools. But that is also water over the dam. You need to concentrate on how to make the best out of this move, not the worst.

If you give it a chance, Cincinnati has a lot to offer a family.

Cincinnati is not California, but as far as wine the Ohio Valley was growing wine grapes before California was even a state. In 1860 Ohio was the largest wine producing state in the nation, predominanatly from the the vineyards along the Ohio river. But the diseases such as black rot attacked the vines in Oho the same as the vines in France. The vines in California, whether it was distance or whatever escaped this plague. California root stock replenished the vineyards of France or today there would be none.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,179,359 times
Quote:
YI feel Cincinnatians are quite good at welcoming newcomers.
I can testify to this first hand. I am a recent transplant who happens to be very social. I am quite welcome in my neighborhood, know many people around here, am networked into my neighborhood association and other families. It all depends on you and how friendly you are. Come here with an attitude and expect to be treated accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati