U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 PM

15 posts, read 13,452 times

Advertisements

Hello,
DH was transferred to Cincy and frankly, I do not want to move. Currently live in sunny NorCal. I have been to Cincy and have had a difficult time with the weather (even though we've never visited during snow season), and the food (sorry not a Skyline fan.) Trying to be positive, maybe it was just the places our friends took us to???
The house we are renting will be near Beechmont Ave. (Anderson/Turpin). I have not seen it, my DH has. We couldn't find an affordable home with our needs near downtown. We were told that Mason/West Chester was too far of a commute. The rental is much smaller than our house in California and rent is much higher than rent in our neighborhood. Is this normal? Why is Cincy rent so expensive? Also, after DH signed lease discovered that a lot of pedophiles live within a two mile radius! (Relocation agent obviously sucked since that was number one on my list.) Concerned because we have two girls 5 and 6. What is neighborhood safety?

What are great things to like about Cincy in comparison to California?
Has anyone moved to Cincy and later grown fond of the city?
Will I just be counting the days until we move to another city or home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,700 times
Welcome to my neck of the woods (Anderson Township). I have two kids around the same ages, and don't have a worry around here. I grew up on this side of town as well, and the area (IMHO) has remained relatively stable in that concern. Forest Hills is a superb school district. Every day amenities are close at hand (restaurants, a huge grocery store, so forth and so on), and downtown is only about a 30 minute commute during rush hour traffic (usually less, but everything is plagued with the construction woes right now). There are a lot of nice new developments happening downtown, and it's where I spent most of my "grown up" out-and-about time. I've lived in many areas of the city (as well as a few in Northern Kentucky), and prefer this area to any other part of town. The weather will not make you a fan, and it lacks consistency (freakishly warm winter days and freakish spring snowstorms from time to time) - but you definitely get to experience all of the seasons here.

For dining, you can really broaden your horizons beyond Skyline (although it is a fave of mine). There are a whole slew of casual gourmet-type places springing up in town to rave reviews. It all really kind of depends on what you're looking for.

In any case, welcome!

Old 07-22-2012, 09:42 PM

15 posts, read 13,452 times
Thank you Digz. Unfortunately we are not in the Forest Hills school district. We are in the Cincinnati school district. Mt Washington area.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,698,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali722 View Post
Hello,
DH was transferred to Cincy and frankly, I do not want to move...

...What are great things to like about Cincy in comparison to California?
Will I just be counting the days until we move to another city or home?
Quite frankly, I'm not even sure that this is a serious post that requires the usual arm twisting and soul searching to bring the OP around to accepting Cincinnati and its surrounding hills (teeming with pedophiles and perverts). My best advice would be for the OP & DH to somehow negate their rental here, change jobs, and concentrate on Vancouver, BC, where happiness and fine living await all.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,880 times
we should cut the OP some slack. i know if i was required to move because of my spouse's job that i would not be a happy camper. it is difficult to move away from family and friends to start a new life somewhere else.

it is difficult to compare a city to a whole state. it might help to know if you are coming from the bay area or stockton or someplace rural. cincinnati has a lot of transplants and many of them stay for a very long time. look into the magnet schools for your kids, there are several very good options. your kids will be with both rich, poor, and middle class kids, and the standardized test results reflect that and not necessarily the quality of instruction. the most popular and probably best magnet schools are north avondale montessori, fairview german language school, and the school for creative and performing arts. i believe the mt washington neighborhood school is also of acceptable quality.

take your kids and visit the new downtown smale park and the new near-downtown mt washington parks. take swimsuits (for the kids) for the fountains. try to get out and meet people. holing up at home can be depressing no matter where you are.

good luck!

Last edited by progmac; 07-23-2012 at 06:06 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times
A person convinced against their will is of their opinion still. I won't waste my time trying to "convince" someone to like it someplace they don't want to be. There will always be those who hate it here and that's alright with me. But I won't spend anytime trying to talk them down. Waste of time.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:46 AM

31,199 posts, read 57,331,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali722 View Post
Trying to be positive
Good job. There's plenty not to like about Cincinnati, but there's plenty more positive than negative to enjoy. Finding what you like and don't like takes time, for sure, but as you settle in and make friends, you'll be just fine.

Since your lease is already a done deal, there's little point in giving you advice about that. Mt. Washington is a pretty decent neighborhood. Give it a chance, get to know your neighbors, and if you don't like it when your lease is up, well, you can always move. By then you'll have become more familiar with the city and won't feel so overwhelmed and pressured.

Quote:
Yes. I am the poster child for wanting to move back where I came from (Cleveland) and never doing it because I got to enjoy living in Cincinnati so much. For a city its size, there are an amazing number and variety of things to do, year-round.

And don't worry about the snow. It doesn't really snow all that much, despite what the panicked natives say. A typical winter day in Cincinnati is 40 degrees and drizzling. And I like to think of the cloudy days as a respite from all that sunshine.

Good luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
we should cut the OP some slack. i know if i was required to move because of my spouse's job that i would not be a happy camper. it is difficult to move away from family and friends to start a new life somewhere else.
Agreed. Even on the occasions when I wanted to move, it still was no picnic. Moving across the country is definitely a reason to be wary!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:52 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,698,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
A person convinced against their will is of their opinion still. I won't waste my time trying to "convince" someone to like it someplace they don't want to be. There will always be those who hate it here and that's alright with me. But I won't spend anytime trying to talk them down. Waste of time.
Talk to me, brother! Hope other local posters pick up on this and follow suit, but they won't. Undoubtedly, the "usual suspects" will all chime in, turning this thread into another one of those C-D brouhahas. As for me, I'm just gonna sit back, relax, and enjoy.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:01 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
I agree, someone coming in with a prejudice against the area is likely not worth spending time on. We should only request they keep an open mind and decide what they dislike and like about the area based on first hand contact. They may be surprised and find out the likes outweigh the dislikes.

Years ago, we moved a person from the LA section of California to Dallas Texas. At first he was extremely upset. The first thing he realized was the small 3-bd ranch house he sold in an LA suburb bought him a 12-acre spread outside of Dallas. So now he is less pissed off. Today he is a died in the wool Texan and could care less about California. My point is search out what is inviting if you are required to move. You might find out it is actually enjoyable.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,463,316 times
Quote:
Well said. I'll take someone's post seriously when they're ready to be respectful, and ask intelligent questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati