Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,789 times

Advertisements

Which cities are the nicer ones with less crime? Best school district? Something that would be comparable to New Albany or Dublin Ohio with plenty of homes that are 2005 and newer. Would be working near glendale millford rd and kenwood rd near the blue ash airport. Sharonville? Kenwood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
I believe your question here is a real can of snakes. Cincinnati has so many nice areas, both inside the city and outside of it. But to try and single out some specific ones as the nicest is just asking for an uproar from those who feel slighted. So much depends on invidual lifestyle preferences, urban versus suburban, nightlife versus don't care, large home versus adequate, new versus old. I feel it is virtually impossible to single out specific areas without considering individual wants.

I will comment on your reference to Dublin. My only familiarity with Dublin is the Muirfield Village Golf Club, home of the Memorial Tournment. I know that is a relatively swanky area. In 1970 the population of Dublin was 681, in 1987 5,000, in 2000 31,312 and in 2010 41,751, a fast growth rate. But portions of Muifield Village are now 40 years old and requiring infra-structure rebuilding. Dublin is somewhat unique in the number of golf courses there plus the number of corporate headquarters.

New Albany as late as 1980 had a population of 414, in 2000 it had grown to 3,711 and in 2010 to 7,724, doubling in 10 years. With that growth rate I would expect a lot of newer homes to be available. But at 7,724 New Albany is hardly large.

Both Dublin and New Albany are separate cities outside of Columbus. Since you refereced these and commented what cities are the nicer ones without crime I am going to assume you are talking about suburbs. At the risk of the urban devotees jumping all over me, I will offer Mason (Mason Schools), and unincorporated areas West Chester and Liberty Townships (Lakota Schools), since they both have had explosive growth rates, have good schools, and plenty of homes 2005 and newer.

If you end up working in Blue Ash, both are reasonable commute times.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,433 times
If I had the cash, I would live in Indian Hill. Although the nices homes there are 40+ years old, there's plenty of stock under 10 years old.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
If I had the cash, I would live in Indian Hill. Although the nices homes there are 40+ years old, there's plenty of stock under 10 years old.
Indian Hill is a superb location and also with good schools. The bigger old homes are 60 plus years old, though most are in fine condition as they have been well maintained. I do beg to differ that there is a lot of stock under 10 years old. The bulk of the housing stock which was built when the old estates began to be subdivided due to the heirs not affording the upkeep is at least 30 years old. A great amount of it was built prior to my moving away from the area 37 years ago. But again, if the owners have kept up with the maintenace they are still fine homes. I have seen a number on the market though which are quite dated and have not been maintained all that well. I venture to say the number of homes 10 years or newer is less than 10% of the total housing.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I do beg to differ that there is a lot of stock under 10 years old.
I think you might be surprised. See sibcycline.com

Old 08-01-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I think you might be surprised. See sibcycline.com
There is no reason to argue over Indian Hill. It is the premier suburb of Cincinnati and if you can afford to live there you can do no better.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
plenty of homes that are 2005 and newer. Would be working near glendale millford rd and kenwood rd near the blue ash airport. Sharonville? Kenwood?
With your request for homes 2005 and newer you could just about forget Sharonville or Kenwood. Keep in mind housing starts in the area were on the decline starting in 2008 - 2009. There are a lot of newer subdivisions off Foster-Maineville Rd. east of Mason-Montgomery and on Bethany Rd. east of Butler-Warren Rd. There are a lot of newer homes in south west Warren County but most were built between 1995 and 2005, so you may want to expand your search a bit.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 PM

OP... Again asking about the nicest areas in Cincinnati is a leading question. If you have the income to locate in Indian Hill, do so, it is the most elite suburb of Cincinnati. But also recognize it is not large population wise. The population in the 2010 census was 5,785, an actual decrease from 2000. Also, the village of Indian Hill permits no commercial enterprises to locate within its boundaries. I personally think this is one of its greatest assets as an exclusive nieghborhood. But don't let your gas tank get low or you will probably be paying a good price for someone to truck in gas from outside of the village boundaries. But if you can afford to live in Indian Hill, why should you care?

So your reference of New Albany I would have to say Indian Hill. New Albany is more neouveau riche. But if you can cut the mustard, Indian Hill is the place in Cincinnati.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
There is no reason to argue over Indian Hill. It is the premier suburb of Cincinnati and if you can afford to live there you can do no better.
Who's arguing? I was just trying to say that there are more "newer" houses in Indian Hill than one might think. I was extraordinarily surprised.....because I always thought all the houses were over 50 years.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Who's arguing? I was just trying to say that there are more "newer" houses in Indian Hill than one might think. I was extraordinarily surprised.....because I always thought all the houses were over 50 years.
That is just a sign there are still older properties which are being subdivided because people, usually heirs, cannot afford to keep the original property up. Even high class areas like Indian Hill have money problems. When you inquire about the nicest areas of Cincinnati, quite a bit of definition is required.

I have for many years considered Amberley Village as a very nice neighborhood. But this is because I personally like large lots and sprawling houses which are plentiful there. Its biggest drawback is CPS. Another older, but extremely nice area is Watch Hill. Outside of Indian Hill, some of the Cities wealthest and most influential people live there.

For those desiring a more urban lifestyle, there are the often mentioned Hyde Park, Mt Lookout. Oakley, Columbia-Tusculum, and Pleasant Ridge. These are desirable for the urban advocates.

But to nominate a nicest, that is difficult. There is so much personal preference involved.

For me personally it is where I live. But several ingredients go into that. #1 is we can afford the property until the time comes when physical infirmities force one of us out of the house. Those of you who have never thought about this, maybe you should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati