Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 10:01 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
Or win the Superbowl. I am still wondering when one will roll down Euclid Avenue? I'm certainly not holding my breath!
That makes me laugh and cry at the same time. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 10:07 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Learn to pitch and win the World Series!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
Or win the Superbowl.
I'm gonna get right on these.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I'm gonna get right on these.
Awesome ... When you win the Super Bowl, couldja do it with the Browns, please?

Old 09-09-2012, 11:22 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Awesome ... When you win the Super Bowl, couldja do it with the Browns, please?
Sure. I figure I have about as much of a chance winning the SB as playing with the Browns. Ima get after it.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:52 PM

372 posts, read 466,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Sure. I figure I have about as much of a chance winning the SB as playing with the Browns. Ima get after it.
LOL isn't that the truth.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:27 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
...We didn't like the more conservative tilt we experienced in the city. We were expecting that from the suburbs (Pittsburgh's own 'burbs are very "red"), but not from the city proper, too. We didn't like the lack of a visible LGBT presence, which seemed to be a direct result of our first grievance. In Pittsburgh you'll see rainbow flags, same-sex couples walking hand-in-hand while pushing strollers (think NBC's "The New Normal"), restaurants will ask two members of the same gender if they'd like to be on one bill or separate instead of just assuming they're merely plutonically-related, etc. We didn't like the rain (not your fault, certainly, as we just picked a bad weekend to visit)...

...Please rebut our criticisms with HELPFUL suggestions instead of just attacking me personally by implying I have a mental condition or by bashing my own city. Is that something this sub-forum is capable of?
SCR--sorry, that in your first visit to Cincinnati, the rainbow remained hidden, both weatherwise and otherwise, but Isaac did come calling at the same time you guys did--and, most likely, a goodly number of both gays and straights had the prudence not to strut their stuff on such a rainy weekend.

Obviously you were both disappointed in one particular waiter's "non-PC" response to your sexuality, but since when and where has such a small oversight become the new norm of liberalness and the litmus test of a metro's progress in matters LGBT? Maybe in Pittsburgh such a measuring device has taken on epic proportion in tony eating establishments, but certainly not extending throughout the entire city. (For example, I can only imagine how a gay couple might fare while looking for little LGBT niceties in some of Steel Town's grittiest, redneck bars.) For all we know (like TomJones123 suggested in a recent comment about superiority and inferiority) Pittsburgh and Cincinnati may also be mirror-opposites in their handling of all things PC, but not so very different at heart. For example, in your city two gay men feel slighted if not immediately recognized as gay while in our city two straight men become offended if they are deemed as such. It seems like that in our two cities, there are two sides to any coin, either of which can make the city appear to be what it is not.

So, take Cincinnati... How do you obtain a fair picture of how its populace, in general, feels about anything, but especially about matters LGBT? That's easy--simply come on a sunny weekend and experience things not seen before, both in neighborhoods and gayborhoods of your choice. You've "done" Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, and Mt. Lookout--but that doesn't necessarily mean that these communities are closed for renewed interpretation. However, on your second visit, please "do" Northside and OTR and capture that missing rainbow flag--because, in those communities, it won't be very hard to find. Admittedly, there are speed bumps that still linger here and there, but Cincinnati's closet doors are opening wider and wider all the time.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,906 times
A couple of things, SteelCityRising,

- Cincinnati and Pittsburgh have a bit of a nasty rivalry in sports and the Steelers are rather loathed around here while the Pirates have been battling back and forth with the Reds all summer. Perhaps you ran into some people who, for some reason, held that against you.

- The radio station that puts on the Labor Day fireworks - WEBN - is known for their edgy attitude and strange sense of humor. The 2012 apocalypse theme was tongue in cheek and surely wasn't celebrating death or anything like that. It's just their way of saying that, hey, if the Mayans are right and the world does end in December, well, let's go out with a bang. Again, just a joke.

- The entire Labor Day weekend was a bit of a downer, with Hurricane Isaac's remnants parked over the area for three days. Though it really didn't rain all that much, it was gloomy and humid and damp.

- I wouldn't take that waiter's lack of awareness toward you and your partner as being indicative of anything other than that restaurant's rather well-known dysfunction. I've had more than one annoying experience with servers there and probably won't be returning any time soon. A much better option next time would be Nada, directly opposite Cincy's next to the Aronoff Center. I highly doubt the staff there would have presented you with two checks.

- There's no excuse for rudeness from hotel staff toward guests - or anyone really. Due to your experience at Garfield, I'll think twice before recommending it. There are plenty of other hotels downtown and several new ones coming in the next two years.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 09-10-2012 at 11:18 AM..

Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
- The entire Labor Day weekend was a bit of a downer, with Hurricane Isaac's remnants parked over the area for three days.
Y'all should have come up to Erie instead. It was a glorious weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati