Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I know you are a tireless advocate for the City and I think that is just great.
If someone posts misinformation, and I call it, how is that being a tireless advocate for the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 02:11 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
If someone posts misinformation, and I call it, how is that being a tireless advocate for the city?
I don't know why you reference misinformation. Did I reference something in that regard? I simply stated you are a tireless advocate for the City and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I in turn am an advocate for the style of living I prefer. That does not mean either one of us is more right, just that we prefer different things. That is one of the great things about this country, we are not forced to walk lockstep to just one drummer. Each can determine what appeals the most to them.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:28 PM

172 posts, read 254,675 times
Quote:
I think kj meant "tirelessly great advocate".

Keep it up!

Old 08-11-2012, 01:02 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Well, OP, you certainly do find yourself in quite a quandary. Nationwide the vast majority of our core urban cities are trending to the left socially and politically as we young adults (who tend to be more liberal) are flooding back in from the suburbs in which we were raised to try to revitalize the cities our great-great-grandparents helped to found. I'm sure people in NYC would consider a place like Pittsburgh or Cincinnati, for example, to be "conservative"; however, while each metropolitan area leans to the right the core city still tends to be overwhelmingly liberal (moreso in Pittsburgh, for certain, where you can find a huge swath of the city really into jogging, yoga, hybrids, rainbow flags, Obama bumper stickets, Whole Foods, etc).

The nation has always had a sort of urban/rural divide between blue and red, respectively, that has become more muddled over the past two generations with the advent of suburban sprawl. It's only really in the past decade that most of our cities have been trending far to the left again, as this is when the 20-somethings have been rushing back in. Long-troubled cities like Philadelphia, DC, Pittsburgh, and many others have all been enjoying population rebounds, but that does entail a shift in the population to being younger, more educated, more diverse, and more liberal.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Well, OP, you certainly do find yourself in quite a quandary. Nationwide the vast majority of our core urban cities are trending to the left socially and politically as we young adults (who tend to be more liberal) are flooding back in from the suburbs in which we were raised to try to revitalize the cities our great-great-grandparents helped to found...

...It's only really in the past decade that most of our cities have been trending far to the left again, as this is when the 20-somethings have been rushing back in. Long-troubled cities like Philadelphia, DC, Pittsburgh, and many others have all been enjoying population rebounds, but that does entail a shift in the population to being younger, more educated, more diverse, and more liberal.
And so may it be said of Cincinnati, in the resurgence of its OTR.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:31 PM

We really need to do something about these two totally worn out terms - Conservative and Liberal. They are beginning to drive me nuts. Same for the contention it is the liberal youth which are repopulating the cities. Why cannot someone from a traditionally conservative background who is concerned about the environment, consumption of natural reasources, be just as involved in the resurgence of the cities? The shift to younger may be true, but to more educated I doubt it as we have dropped to below 30 in the international math skills ranking.

If you are stating people with some degree of higher education are displacing those with very little education in the cities that I will agree with. But the problem is the less educated and normally lower income people have to go somewhere. If it is the liberals which are taking over the cities, why are they not obsessed with seeing to it the socially downtrodden segment of the society is taken care of? Or maybe I come from a different definition of liberal? Appears so as that is not what is happening.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Same for the contention it is the liberal youth which are repopulating the cities.
There really is no contention. It's whats happening. It's a national trend. Even here in lil' ole Cincinnati. OTR is attracting Yuppies, Hipsters, empty nesters, artists, etc. It's definitely a liberal vibe there as well. You should head down sometime and check it out.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
There really is no contention. It's whats happening. It's a national trend. Even here in lil' ole Cincinnati. OTR is attracting Yuppies, Hipsters, empty nesters, artists, etc. It's definitely a liberal vibe there as well. You should head down sometime and check it out.
I am only asking a simple question - give me your definition of liberal. It is referenced all of the time, but what is a good definition? Why are yuppies, hipsters, artists any more liberal than anyone else? Is it just a disagreement with the established powers at be make you a liberal? So what happens if you suddenly find you are among the powers to be? Is it up to the next wave of liberals to toss you aside?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I am only asking a simple question - give me your definition of liberal. It is referenced all of the time, but what is a good definition? Why are yuppies, hipsters, artists any more liberal than anyone else? Is it just a disagreement with the established powers at be make you a liberal? So what happens if you suddenly find you are among the powers to be? Is it up to the next wave of liberals to toss you aside?
I don't have my own personalized definition of liberal. With your age and experience you know the difference between liberal and conservative. Otherwise, wanting my own definition of a word so we can debate it's merits is an exercise in futility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati