Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,178,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesstrain View Post
I know Cincy is smaller than Indy but I really was hoping not to have to be looking at either of these cities. I am really more of a smaller city type who would prefer somewhere like Grand Rapids, Ft. Wayne or Des Moines. After almost 40 years of big cities, I finally figured out I want to live in a much slower, smaller place at a much slower pace.
This is where Cincinnati is deceiving when looking at population. We are a larger metro than Indy. Indy has a large land area that is not as densely populated as Cincinnati and a smaller urban area as well. It very well may be a very good fit for you. It's not a particularly fast city. I'm a former New Yorker who lived in Astoria and Long Island City before they were trendy. The pace in Indy, and really any city around here pales in comparison to what we are used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:11 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,446,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesstrain View Post
Thanks again for your feedback everyone.

I definitely think that Indy is a better match for me so far-after reading through a lot of the city threads I am getting a better "feel" for what it would be like to live in the city proper and it seems that Indy is a better "fit" for me in that category.

Anyway, I am off to deal with the next big hurdle which is the fact that, honestly, the more I research, the more I realize that, ultimately, I know Cincy is smaller than Indy but I really was hoping not to have to be looking at either of these cities. I am really more of a smaller city type who would prefer somewhere like Grand Rapids, Ft. Wayne or Des Moines. After almost 40 years of big cities, I finally figured out I want to live in a much slower, smaller place at a much slower pace.

Anyway, the reality is that, given the fact that I am totally on my own, I feel like I have to balance my desire to be away from the "urban" with my need to ensure that I have access to enough activities to meet people. Once I have my friends, I don't need all the amenities of a city on a daily basis to be happy. I currently live 30 miles from Manhattan and only go for special occasions- a particularly special event, exhibit, show, etc.- less than once a month.

So, I'm a little panicked (since I will not be living in the suburbs when i move) that I may be actually going to an environment that is worse than the one I am currently in as it relates to all the things that go along with "city" living- lack of space, noise, etc.

However, I just don't think that, no matter how much research I do, I would feel "safe" enough to move to a smaller city- unless I knew people there already.

-But I am going to think positively and keep two things in mind-
1. even the second largest city in the midwest is probably going to be a zillion times less "urban" than NYC and possibly even more relaxing a place to live than on Long Island and
2. Once I do this , I'm already more than halfway to those other places (in I think every case) if I do decide I need a smaller city!

Sorry for rambling in a stream of consciousness but I just saved a bunch of people from having to answer questions about a whole other set of cities by talking myself out of them- at least for now. (In my defense- I listed my home about 4 seconds ago- and given the market, I thought it was reasonable to assume I'd have at least a couple of months (or 10) to finalize this decision and then do it. Moral of the story is that I may be homeless by mid to late september!!!!!!!)

Thanks again.
The Cincinnati metro is not, in any way shape or form, smaller than Indianapolis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_Areas

And I highly advise you to refrain from making decisions about where to locate based on Internet message boards. You absolutely must visit these cities and experience them for yourself. Or, honestly, you'll be inadequately prepared for your move and will likely scurry back to New York after a year.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:24 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,699,362 times
If you want to start thinking small, there are plenty of candidates. Fort Wayne Indiana, Grand Rapids Michigan, Akron and Canton Ohio, even Toledo is on the small side. If I had a stable job I could live happily in any of these places. Columbus Indiana has one large industry - the Cummins Engine Co. Without Cummins Columbus is a dead duck. But with Cummins it is a very attractive place to live, and I would say conservative as they know what side their bread is buttered on.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:35 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,528,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post

To the OP, it basically boils down to which city you would enjoy living in more. There are quite a few East Coast transplants in Cincinnati and nary a day passes when I don't see multiple New York license plates. As far as big-city amenities, I think you'd find much more of what you're used to in Cincinnati than Indianapolis.
This is the post that makes the most sense. All this other banter about degrees of conservatism vs liberalism is pointless. Cincinnati will be conservative enough for you, OP, particularly in relative terms to the east coast. What should be more most important to your decision is what the hell will there be for you to do once you are there, and in that department Cincinnati crushes Indy...no question.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:46 PM

909 posts, read 1,408,446 times
I think I saw in an earlier post that you are an attorney. Cincinnati has a Federal Circuit Court. I used to be more into politics to the point that I was on a few Republican email lists and there seem to be quite a few tailgate parties with candidates at Reds and Bengals games.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,827,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesstrain
I am an attorney, however, I have always worked in government. I am also interested in politics and have very strong conservative views and values ( although I am obviously quite used to being completely surrounded by people who not only disagree with me but believe that I am somehow the only person with my beliefs who is not also a racist, homophobe, etc...sorry for digressing but you can tell why I'm currently in the wrong place).
Hi kesstrain--

Depending on how long you've practiced as an attorney you should be able to apply for reciprocity with the Ohio Bar and be up and working in no time. Otherwise I don't relish taking Ohio's bar exam - it's stretched out over three days, whereas most states only have two days of examination. (I'm a 2L now and I'm not looking forward to it. A buddy of mine just took the Ohio bar at the end of July, and he's still in traction.)

Quote:
The thing is that it seems that, all of the cities in the mid- west that we're initially recommended to me look to be quite liberal, both in the government, and demographically, with the suburbs providing all of the deep red. I guess the best way to ask the question is- Do any, and if so which of these cities do you think offer at least a reasonable population of conservatives ( for social and professional opportunities).
If you're looking for that urban feel but social conservatism, the best recommendation I can make is either Covington or Newport on the Kentucky side of Cincinnati. It'd place you within walking distance of downtown in addition to have its' own share of stuff to do (without having to deal with the Occupy-punks on a daily basis). Other than that, you'd pretty much have to move out to the suburbs. I personally think the Kentucky side would be much more attractive because it's much easier to get from Florence to Cincinnati (15-20 minutes) than, say, Lebanon to Cincinnati (good luck with that at rush hour).

If you're thinking about the Dayton area, I highly recommend Beavercreek. Dayton's RTA (buses) don't serve the city at all, and as an added bonus, the city doesn't charge any sort of income taxes.

Can't speak for Indy or Columbus as much, unfortunately.

Quote:
Also, which cities would you say might be less attractive to people like my sister (no judgment- she is a hippie/ punk/occupy walk street type 20 something radical professional activist).
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I hope I was marginally coherent. I really was up all night reading all these discussions about the fact that all of the cities are actually liberal- I'm still traumatized.
Hi kesstrain--

Cincinnati has a wholly unjustified reputation for being conservative because the city proper is vastly outnumbered by the suburbs. Something under 300,000 live within the city, but the metro area is ~2.1 million. Combine this with some gerrymandering and every local Congressional district is represented by a Republican (in both Cincinnati and Dayton). Cincinnati City Council is currently filled to the brim with lefties (with the possible exception of Chris Smitherman) because all of the conservatives packed their bags and moved to the suburbs. Cincinnati's population dropped another 10% in the 2010 census while the metro area still grew at 8 or 9% overall.

Remember, Cincinnati is where Jerry Springer got his start. It's not conservative. The suburbs are, however.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
(without having to deal with the Occupy-punks on a daily basis)
You really aren't in Cincinnati very often, if at all.

Like the other day when you told a poster to not live south of McMillan but then recommended Avondale near Children's as a good option.

Last edited by TomJones123; 08-10-2012 at 08:25 AM..

Old 08-10-2012, 09:24 AM

TomJones123...

Keep your cool Tom. People will dedect who is knowledgable and who is not.

It is just like the discussion of commute times. I have an older daughter who lives with me and works over in Hebron near the airport. She habitually leaves Mason between 7:15 and 7:20 AM to drive to Hebron and arrives there before 8:00 AM. That is a distance of 40 miles which she navigates in 40 minutes. She drives a Nissan 350Z and I am sure the foot is depressed somewhat, but she is smart enough to never having received a speeding ticket. Of course there are exceptions, wrecks, etc. But if you average it out over a year they are the minority.

You can live and work virtually anywhere within Greater Cincinnati. Where you live is strictly personal preference. That needs to be emphasized - personal preference. So much depends on that. There is absolutely no way I want to be an urban pioneer. In fact I do not want to be a pioneer anything. Just let me live out the rest of my life in an environment where I feel secure, safe, and satisfied. I will let other recreate the City.

And so far it appears there is a good job being done. I am only concerned as a citizen of the area about the more outbound areas of the City. It seems for every gain in the downtown core regions of the City such as OTR there is a corresponding loss in the outer neighborhoods, maybe even a bigger loss in terms of territory.

Again, I am not against the City. I am just disturbed when I see old solid areas of the City falling rapidly into disarray. Where is the counter-action to this? I just don't see it happening.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
TomJones123...

Keep your cool Tom. People will dedect who is knowledgable and who is not.
Oh, cucumber here. Just calling them as I see em. Occupy Cincinnati hasn't been doing very much downtown (if anything) for months.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Oh, cucumber here. Just calling them as I see em. Occupy Cincinnati hasn't been doing very much downtown (if anything) for months.
Everyone needs a reason to live where they live. I know you are a tireless advocate for the City and I think that is just great. I also absolutely love Mason for different reasons.

Getting ready to sign off here now and go get a haircut at the same place with the same barber I have been going to for over 30 years. They actually have a barber pole next to the front door. How quaint is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati