Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:52 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Transient.

Where, to you, would be home?
I moved to the mid west for a job I no longer work. I moved to Cincinnati for a pending surgery my son has completed. I am an east coast person who will soon return to his roots. New York or Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
But why should the kids have to suffer because their parents are too busy earning a living, just don't care or value education, or [insert favorite stereotypical activity here]? If the educational opportunities at Oyler are equal in quality and quantity as at Kilgour, parental involvement wouldn't make that much of a difference.

But it isn't.
Are these disadvantages from the school board not caring about certain schools?

As for learning and behavioral issues, I would not send my son to a failing neighborhood school. I was faced with sending him to Taft, which I never would have done. So am I as a parent supposed to support some sort of safety net for these kids?

I am just at a loss to have a reasonable solution when the parents don't care.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 AM

46 posts, read 55,165 times
I think if people are concerned, truly concerned, they would get involved. Thumbing one's nose from the 'burbs at those "terrible schools in the basin" isn't going to do anything. That's not a dig on anyone currently in this conversation, I don't know what you do or don't do to help.

In my hometown I volunteered with a church based tutoring program and a fundraising non-profit organization that helped the inner city school district. Many of the volunteers or staff members lived in the suburbs or sent their children to one of the speciality schools or an area private school, but at least they were trying to make a difference.

I'm not sure if their are similar organizations here, but if not they are sorely needed. Also thank you to Tom Jones, I attended schools in the inner city district for 5 years (magnet, charter, and arts) and it's nice to see someone stick up for CPS. I know teachers that work tirelessly for those kids and it saddens me that some people are quick to condemn the whole district.

Anyway that's my rant.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM

800 posts, read 951,019 times
>them the answer and tomorrow it is forgotten, require them to find the answer and they remember.

KJbrill maybe you should take your own advice. You routinely post hunches and myths as fact, and when confronted with a link to the facts, change the subject. I'm sure you were a teacher's pet. The child who misbehaves is often the one who sees the hypocracy in the power structure and holds the lies teachers and their pets tell each other and themselves in the highest contempt.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieInCincy View Post
I think if people are concerned, truly concerned, they would get involved. Thumbing one's nose from the 'burbs at those "terrible schools in the basin" isn't going to do anything. That's not a dig on anyone currently in this conversation, I don't know what you do or don't do to help.
Well, I am at a loss to help others who don't care. And I would really love to hear viable, working solutions. I feel I am doing my part by being a caring, involved parent to my own son. That takes enough of my time, between working and supporting him in his schooling. I don't really have anything else to volunteer. Time and money is spoken for by my own priorities as a Father.

And thanks for the compliment.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:09 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
>them the answer and tomorrow it is forgotten, require them to find the answer and they remember.

KJbrill maybe you should take your own advice. You routinely post hunches and myths as fact, and when confronted with a link to the facts, change the subject. I'm sure you were a teacher's pet. The child who misbehaves is often the one who sees the hypocracy in the power structure and holds the lies teachers and their pets tell each other and themselves in the highest contempt.
I guess you have a point with this, but I missed it. I simply asked why are there differences in the level of education offered within the CPS? This is not something I dreamt up, but what I gather from several supposedly reputable sources. So for you who live there, please respond as to whether it is a pure fabrication or not. And if not a fabrication how can it continue without court fights as to being unconstitutional?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I will offer up my opinion. They have been using every means at their disposal to conjure up Magnet Schools, Montessori Schools, and the like to circumvent the established district.
I have already showed you that magnet schools started in the 60s are in no way unique to, or started in Cincinnati. And FYI - Montessori is a type of magnet schools that is a specific system of learning based on Maria Montessori, an Italian physician. There are also Paideia magnet schools that are in the same category as Montessori - a system of learning differing in various ways from traditional settings.

Your opinion, as you call it, is filled with misinformation.

BTW - if you would check the demographics of various magnet schools you would find them quite racially mixed. So please prove how they are exclusionary and will wind up before the supreme court. That theory is ludicrous since they have been around since the 60s and have been established nationwide. My 20 year old half brother went to a magnet school K-12 in the inner city Raleigh school district. He is in college now and doing quite well.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:10 AM

46 posts, read 55,165 times
I think living in the city supporting the district with your tax dollars is plenty. That comment definitely isn't aimed at an involved parent who actually has a child in CPS. You're also a big CPS advocate, fwiw.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieInCincy View Post
I think living in the city supporting the district with your tax dollars is plenty. That comment definitely isn't aimed at an involved parent who actually has a child in CPS. You're also a big CPS advocate, fwiw.
I guess I am wanting to learn from Ohiogirl in this regard. I am not even seeking to debate anything. I'm only an advocate because there are those who are ignorant on CPS and consistently post misinformation. I have my son enrolled in CPS and know a lot of other families whose kids are getting a high quality education in CPS. I'm simply posting my first hand experiences, and relating what I have learned from other families.

To me, someone who chose to leave Cincinnati and enroll their kids in another district did what worked for them. But they are in no way qualified to provide anything but conjecture on CPS since they have no first hand experience with CPS. One would think it would be enough for them to happily choose elsewhere and be happy with that. Many times these same people have to come along and tell us how bad things are for us when reality proves otherwise.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I have already showed you that magnet schools started in the 60s are in no way unique to, or started in Cincinnati. And FYI - Montessori is a type of magnet schools that is a specific system of learning based on Maria Montessori, an Italian physician. There are also Paideia magnet schools that are in the same category as Montessori - a system of learning differing in various ways from traditional settings.

Your opinion, as you call it, is filled with misinformation.

BTW - if you would check the demographics of various magnet schools you would find them quite racially mixed. So please prove how they are exclusionary and will wind up before the supreme court. That theory is ludicrous since they have been around since the 60s and have been established nationwide. My 20 year old half brother went to a magnet school K-12 in the inner city Raleigh school district. He is in college now and doing quite well.
Whether they are racially mixed or not makes little difference. The main thrust is they are organized to circumvent some of the lower achieving sections of the district. To me this is discriminatory and should be illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati