Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:29 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
More blather. The burden of proof that magnet schools are discriminatory is on you. I've explained magnet schools in great detail and you still don't get it. All you want to do is argue your point of view even when your point of view is solely based in your own, disconnected from anything CPS opinion.

Why don't you get the ball rolling on this big lawsuit that will put magnet schools out existence nationwide. Make it a class action suit while you are at it.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. the burden of proof it not on me, since obviously I do not live in or participate in the district. The burden of proof is on CPS to document how their procedures are offering an equal educational opportunity to all students within the district. This is where I feel it falls down and their own statistics will reinforce that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:01 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong. the burden of proof it not on me, since obviously I do not live in or participate in the district. The burden of proof is on CPS to document how their procedures are offering an equal educational opportunity to all students within the district. This is where I feel it falls down and their own statistics will reinforce that.

You make absolutely no sense on this one. But I know what to do when someone wants to argue that their invalid points are right, and it's up to everyone else to prove otherwise. Even in the face of facts that would dispel ignorance should you choose.

Kjbrill, you are right....always have been. Right as rain. Hang by the mailbox for a couple days because I just got off the phone with Mary Ronan and she is amazed at what you have found from all the way out in Mason. There is an apology letter on the way. If it's a little late just hang out by the mailbox. It's on the way.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:45 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
You make absolutely no sense on this one. But I know what to do when someone wants to argue that their invalid points are right, and it's up to everyone else to prove otherwise. Even in the face of facts that would dispel ignorance should you choose.

Kjbrill, you are right....always have been. Right as rain. Hang by the mailbox for a couple days because I just got off the phone with Mary Ronan and she is amazed at what you have found from all the way out in Mason. There is an apology letter on the way. If it's a little late just hang out by the mailbox. It's on the way.
OK you are getting downright rediculous now. Where did I say I thought or I believe relative to the CPS district? As stated I do not live there and have no first-hand experience. I am only relating what is placed in how many media publications in the area? If everyone which publicizes these opinions are wrong, then of course I am wrong. But since it continues to be published I do not think I am that far off. If you want to dispute the opinions of what others are saying, go ahead. I certainly have no reason to undermine CPS myself. I only draw my opinions from what I see or hear. If everything is hunky dory then CPS is doing a very poor job of getting the word out.

I have no reason to undermine CPS's reputation. But it appears I do not have to do anythiing myself, there are plenty of others to do that without me. And all of this fight to get your kid into the better schools, etc. still makes me believe it is fractured and possibly unconstitutional.

Perhaps CPS should be split into several smaller districts so residents have a better feel of where their involvement lies. Several people have commented our schools here in Mason are too large and impersonal, and maybe there is some validity to that. But compared to CPS we are a peanut.

Last edited by kjbrill; 08-15-2012 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: clarify.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 PM

109 posts, read 166,338 times
Tom, your firsthand experiences are no good here...you should listen more to the media!!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 PM

46 posts, read 55,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandalay84 View Post
Tom, your firsthand experiences are no good here...you should listen more to the media!!
Especially the "Enquirer", I can think of no more reputable source!

Old 08-15-2012, 10:17 PM

307 posts, read 543,824 times
The options made available are made available to all. Neighborhood school or any number of magnet schools. Is this system fair? Not entirely, as with most things it favors those with money, resources, etc.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:29 AM

The irony of having to explain how CPS' magnet programs are not discriminatory to someone who lives in an area that is very economically discriminatory is not lost on me. I would love to hear how Mason is helping the poor. What efforts are underway to help the disadvantaged get into a good school district, like Mason?

I'm waiting with baited breath.

Oh but in the meantime, we owe it to those who don't have any connection with CPS to explain how CPS is up to their expectations.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 AM

404 posts, read 826,804 times
Quote:
The irony of having to explain how CPS' magnet programs are not discriminatory to someone who lives in an area that is very economically discriminatory is not lost on me. I would love to hear how Mason is helping the poor. What efforts are underway to help the disadvantaged get into a good school district, like Mason?

I'm waiting with baited breath.

Oh but in the meantime, we owe it to those who don't have any connection with CPS to explain how CPS is up to their expectations.
You can do what Boston did and implement the Metco program (for kids of color only, don't try applying if you are just poor and white) and bus the kids to the suburbs. On the bus at 6am to get to school in an exclusionary suburb by 8 where you just fit right in and blend seamlessly and are tremendously socially successful. I think you can create an Avondale to Mason shuttle.

I has been proven time and time again that throwing school money and resources at home poverty is not enough to get kids over the hump. The only solution is to erase the social and economic disparities themselves (see the suburbs for where people self select to create this environment). That is not incumbent on the school district although CPS is working on that problem with the health clinics and GED sponsoring, etc.

What I do think is causing disparities and more problems than good is that parents can contribute directly to fund a particular school. I think any contributions should be put into a general fund and distributed equally. That way if you are a Kilgour parent you cannot directly affect Kilgour with your checkbook, causing more real or perceived disparities. Or maybe for every dollar you give Kilgour 50 cents goes to Oyler. Something. Maybe partner a high performing school with a low performing school or make part of graduating from Walnut community service hours at underperforming elementary schools. Spread your advantaged student's abilities around without busing them around.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
Spread your advantaged student's abilities around without busing them around.
Great solutions. I don't think busing has ever worked.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
Is this system fair? Not entirely, as with most things it favors those with money, resources, etc.
It could also be said that someone living on welfare would have the time to camp on the sidewalk for a week and a half at Fairview to get their kid enrolled, while someone working for a living would not have the time. So it could be said that it favors the poor and rich but not the working middle class.

There is a huge difference between fair and discriminatory. Please find me one thing on this planet that is fair to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati