Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:59 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,262 times

Advertisements

Hmm Wishlist huh?

Realistically.

Diversity: I just got back from San Diego and the diversity there is amazing. The more diversity we have in this area the better people will get along and stop hating each other and talking behind their back.

Light and commuter rail. Having a full fledge system would go a long way to drawing more companies and people that prefer not to drive a car. Right now there is virtually a 0% chance for someone to move from the NJ or the NE in general to SW Ohio simply because there is no good transportation options. The cheap cost of living here can not make up the huge difference in transportation costs compared to the NE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 07:14 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Light and commuter rail. Having a full fledge system would go a long way to drawing more companies and people that prefer not to drive a car. Right now there is virtually a 0% chance for someone to move from the NJ or the NE in general to SW Ohio simply because there is no good transportation options. The cheap cost of living here can not make up the huge difference in transportation costs compared to the NE.
I hate that all Cincinnati has to offer is a bus. I have a bus stop right in front of my house and use it often enough. But for a city this size and stature to not have some sort of rail is ass backwards.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:58 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'd take light rail over a dozen Hard Rock Cafes, California Pizza Kitchens, and food delivery any day. Nobody needs a Hard Rock Cafe. The food is overpriced and mediocre.

What Cincinnati needs? Resources to keep the parks, pools and rec centers operating, in every neighborhood. Assistance and resources to every neighborhood council, block watch, etc., not just a few. Continue to improve the school district.

Oh, and it would be nice if some of the pizza joints learned to make pepperoni balls. Just not LaRosa's.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:24 PM

109 posts, read 166,261 times
Yea, the last thing this city needs are mediocre chain restaurants.
Although I would kill for a portillos.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:41 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandalay84 View Post
Yea, the last thing this city needs are mediocre chain restaurants.
Although I would kill for a portillos.
I had never heard of them until now. The menu looks killer, especially for a burger and dog joint.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:48 PM

109 posts, read 166,261 times
Similar menu to Chicago Gyros on McMillan, Except much better and more reasonably priced. An Italian Beef with hot peppers, a Chicago dog, and a tamale. I could eat it every night.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
CINCINNATI WISH LIST

*Note that this is a random selection of large-scale ideas from the practical and doable to the impractical and difficult. Only minimal comments were made on each. An additional list will follow. Also note that none of these ideas are new; most of them have been tossed around for years. I have also refrained from restating those ideas already listed:

(1) AIRPORT. Direct flights to not only Europe, but also to Asia, South America, and Africa. Lengthen
the Lunken Airport runway to accommodate larger business jets.

(2) AFRICA. Listen to and be inspired by what P&G and other large companies are doing, business wise,
on this huge, emerging continent and position Cincinnati businesses on the ground floor of
opportunity NOW. And realize that the city's own heritage is tied more and more to Africa.

(3) WATER. At all cost, protect the Ohio River from encroachment by those who would transform it into
another Colorado River to salvage their own dried up cities/regions from global warming.
At this time, the Great Lakes states water agreements may appear to be protection
enough, but are they? (especially against federal mandates)

(4) CANAL. Very soon, in 2014, an enlarged Panama Canal and its connection to the Mississippi/Ohio
River systems will enable Cincinnati to begin greater import/export bulk operations.
Will the city jump on this NOW or merely let the opportunity pass by? (Pittsburgh would
love us to fumble the ball on this one.) Fully implement the Oueensgate Terminal.

(5) RAIL. Not only complete the essential Uptown portion of the streetcar, extending past UC to both
the zoo and East Walnut Hills, but also extend it across the river deep into both Covington
and Newport. Get the UC/XU/Hyde Park Wasson Line up and running. If the old subway
tunnel's still usable, use it. Super fast rail to the airport, whether it's in NKY or Ohio.
Light rail to the exburbs; commuter rail to Dayton; heavy rail to Columbus/Cleveland.

(6) MANUFACTURING. One of the most crucial components of a revitalized Cincinnati; the city will be
DOA w/o it. No easy solution here; every city on the planet wants the same thing. Although
service-industries (especially large ones like banking, medical, and insurance) are essential
and welcome, they cannot replace large-scale manufacturing. A must have!

(7) MARKETING. Aim to become the nation's branding capital. Protect and foster the interests of P&G,
Kroger, and Macy's, and convince them to turn more and more to Cincinnati advertising
agencies. Attract more companies like dunnhumby. Lure Target away from Minneapolis!

(8) I-75. Yes, we all hate it for all the right reasons, but lest we forget, this nightmare expressway is a
phenomenal north/south commercial conduit. Don't go crazy building 10-lanes each way, but
do get a new Brent Spense Bridge in place SOON.

(9) FWW. Divert this monstrosity from our CBD and riverfront either by sending I-71 straight into NKY
and I-75 via I-471/i-275 or by sending it through a massive tunnel under Liberty Street to I-75
before it even reaches the CBD.

(10) RIVERFRONT. Remove PBS ASAP. Permit only GABP to remain. Finish what parks are already
planned, but limit new development to residential/office (keeping in mind that this area
was never destined to become "Kings Island On The Ohio" nor "Sports Palace Row."
Convert the Freedom Center into an office or hotel; complete the planned marina.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:08 PM

865 posts, read 1,471,842 times
^ Great ideas motorman. It's outside the box thinking like this and thinking on a global level that Cincinnati needs more of.

I will post my list later on.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
OMG PORTILLOS is what we need but then they are building the street car system

Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
CINCINNATI WISH LIST (cont.)

*A continuation of the #27 post. More random ideas--some practical, others difficult, a few whimsical. Once again, I've refrained from adding lengthy comments, and I've tried not to repeat the excellent suggestions by other posters. A third (and much more controversial) list will follow:

(11) NKY. Revive Covington's Madison Avenue and Newport's Monmouth Street as business and retail
thoroughfares. Rethink the early '60s ban on risque entertainment that reduced our south side
of the river from the Midwestern Las Vegas it once was to the dead zone it is today. Continue to
develop and maintain Bellevue, Dayton, and Ludlow/Bromley as scenic and charming south shore
residential communities and tourist attractions. Rekindle the Oasis development plans centered to
the south of Taylor Park, but include much higher office/residential structures that will rival the
north shore. Construct the forgotten, monumental Millennium Tower, along with its huge Freedom
Bell high in the air and a sky-high restaurant--and ignore any FAA restrictions on height (after all,
there are now so few planes landing/departing CVG that it no longer matters...) Make known to
Ohio residents what a wealth of attractive townhouses exist on the south side. (for example, how
many Ohioans have actually walked the streets of Maple and Linden as they intersect 6th/7th/8th
just south of Newport On The Levee. Simply amazing!)

(12) LIVING BRIDGE. Take the Purple People Bridge one step further by turning it into a retail and
residential structure akin to what exists in Florence, Italy. To my knowledge, few river cities have
attempted to construct anything like this; it would become an instant success and tourist attraction.
And make it an ornate, fanciful world-class structure (the developers of The Banks or Oakley Station
needn't apply for consideration...)

(13) PIAZZAS. Build on the success of both Fountain Square and Washington Park by constructing
even more pedestrian-only enjoyment areas. Close off entire downtown streets to cars; reroute
bicycles and Segways; ban skateboards. (Look to either European or South American cities to see
how to do it the right way...)

(14) CENTRAL PKWY/LIBERTY ST. Reduce the width of these two divisive traffic corridors, each which
separates urban neighborhood from neighborhood while also reducing the threat to both pedestrians
and bicyclists.

(15) CBD. Erect at least several more high-rise office towers and numerous mid-range residential
buildings. Utilize the 7th & Sycamore location for a true chart-topping tower. Develop the neglected
area north of City Hall (around 9th & Elm) into posh townhouse living. (Absolutely no Section 8!)
Pull businesses tighter and tighter into downtown rather than stringing them out around its periphery.
(for example, avoid developing any more isolated complexes such as now exist at Gilbert & Eden Park
Drive or at Reading Rd. and Elsinore Place.)

(16) QUEENSGATE. Return a major portion of this area to mixed, diverse residential housing akin
to the Kenyon-Barr complexity and density, rather than that of today's City West. Realize what was
lost there over 50-years ago; envision a condensed Brooklyn or Jersey City there tomorrow. (Minimize
the destructive footprint of I-75; limit its spaghetti downtown entrance/exits; cap it...)

(17) FAR WEST SIDE. Realize the potential of western Hamilton County for posh residential growth.
Tony, scenic hillside developments; gentile living for both the well heeled and the slightly above average.
(Simply look at it as God's Country out there near Harrison, Ohio and treat it accordingly...)

(18) CABLE CAR. Extend such an attraction between the central CBD and Mt. Adams, perhaps as long as
a mile ride. No, we're neither Bogota nor Pittsburgh, but if we build it they will come--just like in
Portland, Oregon. (BTW, when it comes to other such attractions, forget about constructing another
giant Ferris wheel--London's already been there/done that better than anyone else...)

(19) FOODSTORE. The city cannot wait much longer to have a viable downtown supermarket. So much
has been written about this that nothing more need be said here, except to do it soon.

(20) CINCINNATUS. Totally whimsical and impractical, but why not? That is, a huge, well lit, and very
visible statue of our namesake Roman soldier/statesman situated on a hillside overlooking I-75. Give
all those travelers and truckers a real man of size to gawk at as they pass through our town. (In fact,
make it twice as tall as that other I-75 tourist attraction in Monroe, Ohio...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati