U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:05 PM

118 posts, read 92,412 times

Advertisements

Yes, I agree with you kj about the Five Guys burger. I also don't really care for how they seem to mash the entire burger down, bun and all, and then wrap it, which makes it kind of soggy, after coming off of a hot grill. They just don't make it with me for value. I can't see spending what they want for a burger and bunch of fries.

I've had several folks tell me they like Smashburger but I have yet to try it. Yeah, a Whopper is fine with me. If I want fast food fries, I still prefer McD's, when they're fresh from the fryer. All things considered, I'd sure like to be able to get some decent cheese coneys or Blue Ash or Camp Washington double-decker type sandwiches here in Houston. The BBQ and Tex-Mex is great in Houston but be grateful for what you can enjoy in Cincinnati!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 02:55 PM

2,461 posts, read 5,626,846 times
For a "fast food" burger -- I'll take Five Guys. And the one near VOA has been there for 2+ years already (probably closer to 3), the one in Mason/Deerfield (near Lowe's on Mason Montgomery) is a year younger.

No idea if they'll be around for 20+ years, but closing within a year didn't happen for either.

Smash burger is okay, I prefer the burgers at five guys more, but both will do in a pinch.

As far as fast food chains - not a particular Jack in the Box fan, but good I guess to have other options for folks working up there.

I lived in NM two years, I'd kill for Whattaburger. At 3am. Their food just doesn't taste right during the day (or when sober).

Old 09-04-2012, 03:02 PM

577 posts, read 614,100 times
I remember Jack In The Box from growing up on the west coast. It was okay as far as fast food chains and I am looking forward to the one on Ridge opening only so I can fulfill some crazed desire from my youth. To tell you the truth, it wasn't one of the places I really frequented a lot in my younger days because it was pricier than some of the other fast food chains.

What I miss in town is Hardees, which is basically the east coast name for Carl's Jr. I also miss the Fatburger that was on Madison Road for a short period of time. If there was a fast food restaurant from the west coast I would like to see here it would be a Ben Frank's. Great hot dogs and reasonably priced.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 AM

1,086 posts, read 1,384,806 times
What I read about Jack in the Box was that they carried a lot of diverse things, like Asian fare, that you don't usually see at quick serve restaurants.

Are there unique or interesting food items that Jack in the Box carries besides the usual burgers?

Old 09-05-2012, 12:13 PM

603 posts, read 429,770 times
It'll be a while before In-N-Out comes to Cincinnati. They're pretty slow with their expansion. I personally don't think they're as good as Five Guys, but to each their own.
You have Culver's now. They're not too bad. Smashburger is decent.

Zips is still one of the best burgers around, and it's usually on my list of places to visit whenever I'm back in town.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:16 PM

8,705 posts, read 6,821,739 times
Interesting someone mentioned Hardees. Used to be quite a few of them in the Cincinnati area. They just seemed to kind of dry up and fizzle away. My wife was actually hired as night manager at one in the Tri-County area. She didn't last very long because she was always trying to tell the franchise owners what they were doing wrong managing the business. Wouldn't listen to me when I said they own the business and set the rules you don't.

On another note, I don't want to start a separate thread on this, but can anyone comment on the state of the Arby's operation. To my knowledge the national chain once went kaput. So who put the money up to resuscitate it? I do see some TV ads, but not a lot. The few times I go to our local one I am disappointed in the sandwich as it appears to have been made yesterday. Any Comments?

Old 09-05-2012, 12:50 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,384,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
The few times I go to our local one I am disappointed in the sandwich as it appears to have been made yesterday. Any Comments?
We went to Arby's last weekend after church. The sandwich was barely passable, and the potato cakes (I won't eat their crappy battered fries or potato curls) were nasty.

As a sidenote, every fast food chain except McD's screws around with their fries and usually batters them (nasty) or puts heavy chemicals (seasoning) on them. Nasty. It's like just frying and serving a plain potato is illegal, you have to put s--- on the potato and make it something else. Except McDonald's.

In the 1970s one night a week my family would have Arby's night. It was an amazingly flavorful sandwich then. And they had NO options. Roast beef. That was it. They did well. Amazing how far they've fallen. They could vanish tomorrow and I would not notice.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:17 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,292,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
We went to Arby's last weekend after church. The sandwich was barely passable, and the potato cakes (I won't eat their crappy battered fries or potato curls) were nasty.

As a sidenote, every fast food chain except McD's screws around with their fries and usually batters them (nasty) or puts heavy chemicals (seasoning) on them. Nasty. It's like just frying and serving a plain potato is illegal, you have to put s--- on the potato and make it something else. Except McDonald's.

In the 1970s one night a week my family would have Arby's night. It was an amazingly flavorful sandwich then. And they had NO options. Roast beef. That was it. They did well. Amazing how far they've fallen. They could vanish tomorrow and I would not notice.
I used to consider Arby's a delicious, somewhat more expensive and higher quality fast food place. Now I don't even want to go in there, it has just lost whatever appeal it had. The sandwiches are always mediocre. I'm not sure what happened.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:38 PM

118 posts, read 92,412 times
Didn't Arby's used to have real roast beef for their sandwiches when they first opened, years ago? Slices from a whole beef roast or at least something much closer to decent beef than whatever they use now? I sure don't care for the homogenized hunk of stuff they now slice for their beef sandwiches. It's like the worst quality of lunch meat you can get at the grocery. There's an Arby's not too far from me and I never eat there. I'm surprised they're still in business.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:52 PM

10,243 posts, read 8,203,921 times
Can't help but think 'Gag-in-the-Bag' whenever I hear Jack-in-the-Box, which is what we knew it as in San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati