Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times

Advertisements

Ohiogirl81...

I was trying to avoid naming names, but you are right Johnsonville is horrendous.

I always enjoyed a Cincinnati bratwurst in a natural casing. Of course those are long gone, unless you perhaps live in a neighborhood where they still produce them in a neighborhood shop.

Years ago, Hamilton Ohio, north of Cincinnati, had quite a few meatpacking companies. One product became so popular it was actually tagged the Hamilton Mett. It was really what I would term a summer sausage, mild in consistency but packaged in a natural casing. Just plain delicious. So today I have to deal with a lacking of my old products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 02:58 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
A couple more questions.

First, are there any good Mexican restaurants in NKY or across the river near Covington that do not use MSG in their food?

Second, are there any Polish deli's or any places to buy Polish food such as Pierogi's in the area?

Old 02-18-2017, 03:38 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Oh, geez. The best fresh sausage in Cincinnati is found at Avril Bleh just west of Walnut St. on the south side of Court. Most people have never had a nice fresh garlic sausage (Italian, mettwurst or many others) which you can buy in a rope to coil and cook on the grill. Any precooked sausage (or god forbid, those hateful white bratwurst) are not even close to a fresh grilled sausage.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:46 PM

Yeah, I prefer a fresh sausage to one of those white things you referred to. It is easy to find excellent fresh Italian sausage in the Northeast. Not sure about here simply because the Italian population, along with the Polish is far smaller thus leading to fewer establishments catering these ethic foods to the local population.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:30 PM

410 posts, read 586,841 times
You asked about Mexican. My favorite would have to be La Mexicana in Newport. It's the closest thing to real Mexican that I've had in the area. I also love Mazunte in Madisonville/Oakley.

I admit I have no idea if either place uses MSG.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
You asked about Mexican. My favorite would have to be La Mexicana in Newport. It's the closest thing to real Mexican that I've had in the area. I also love Mazunte in Madisonville/Oakley.

I admit I have no idea if either place uses MSG.
Thanks. Will try it when I have a chance. I usually know within an hour of eating something if it has too much MSG. Can get by with very small doses of the stuff but if they use a healthy amount of it to flavor the food, I get sick.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:31 PM

Another one. Do any other local restaurants produce and bottle a Pizza sauce other than La Rosa's? I tried their sauce but it is too sweet for me. I usually make my own but there are times when I don't have the time and use a bottled sauce. Prefer a neutral to less sweet sauce.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:09 PM

Pompilios sells it at the counter. But the best canned pasta sauce I have ever had is called Al Dente Ultra Premium and it comes in a 120oz can for $10 at the little deli on Paxton Ave.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Oh, geez. The best fresh sausage in Cincinnati is found at Avril Bleh just west of Walnut St. on the south side of Court. Most people have never had a nice fresh garlic sausage (Italian, mettwurst or many others) which you can buy in a rope to coil and cook on the grill. Any precooked sausage (or god forbid, those hateful white bratwurst) are not even close to a fresh grilled sausage.

It was recently pointed out to me that not all white sausage is the hateful pre-cooked bratwurst mentioned above.

This is true. But, I haven't seen a Biala Kielbasa since I stayed with my aunt and uncle (the Wisniewski's) for part of my fourteenth year in Humboldt Park. I don't recall them enough to comment, but I will tell you that I never had a single sausage from the butcher or deli's in Humboldt Park that was not delicious. I recall often being the only person who did not speak Polish, just pointing and mumbling.

Perhaps we can find a place at Easter that serves this delicacy.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:01 AM

95 posts, read 102,472 times
probably semantics, but wasn't the khan's plant in camp washington or queensgate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati