Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Ok, I was wrong about US Chili. Sorry about that. I have been by there earlier in the day and they are definitely open. They must close early though. I have never seen them open in the evening. Which is why I assumed they were closed. I think they close at 4:45.
Awesome. I'll have to figure out their hours and swing over there sometime. Thanks for the heads-up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 01:55 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Ok, just got back from Empress Chili in Hartwell. Bam!! Was delicious. The chili was very meaty and flavorful. Again, not sweet, which I am not a fan of in the first place. But you could definitely make out a hint of cinnamon, or something like that. Of all the chili places I have hit in Cincy, Empress had the freshest spaghetti. I mean it was damn near Al dente (not that it need be since it's not Italian pasta.)

My only criticism on the way it was served was they were chintzy on the cheese. I know I could have asked for more, sent it back or whatever. Just speaking on the way they serve it. I ate it the way it was. And it was damned good.

So, Camp Washington Chili is my favorite late night haunt to hit when I am drunk and looking to smash a five way in a fun atmosphere. But I can see where Empress could be considered the best and is the original since 1922.

Oh, my wife had the chili pizza. Very interesting. It wasn't as good as their five way - not that one would compare. But it was very tasty. I could tell it was made with frozen dough. So I think if they used fresh dough it would be out of this world. Very tasty and unique either way.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:27 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
I remember years ago when Empress was downtown and our favorite late night respite after a night of revelry. Took many an out-of-town customer there for their first introduction to Cincinnati chili. There is just something about it which really hits the spot late at night, especially after imbibing in a few.

My other late night location was Skyline at 7707 Montgomery Rd in a strip center between Silverton and Kenwood. We would hit there at 1-1:30 AM. Still one of my favorite locations because I swear the same family still runs it, likely the sons and grandsons.

I will admit that today I rarely venture past the Blue Ash Chili here in Mason. It is about 1/2 mile from my house and I find it difficult to go much further. We do have a couple of Skylines here in Mason, and a couple of Gold Stars. The only time I go there is if I get the urge on Sunday when Blue Ash is closed.

The Skyline closest to me is off Kings Mills Rd out near I-71. It was originally a chain steakhouse, I can't remember which one, which went kaput. It is one of the biggest Skylines I have ever been in. Since they have been there much longer than the steakhouse, I assume they are doing OK. Since they are on Water Park Dr I am glad to see The Beach announcing reopening next year, as I feel a good percentage of their busness was tied to that. It was a natural, avoid the high priced concessions at The Beach and drop into Skyline on your way out the drive.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:51 AM

Just another comment. I said at times I crave some Cincinnati Chili on Sunday and then realize Blue Ash Chili is closed on Sunday. My first reaction is Oh Damn, I have to go somewhere else. Yes, that is when I may visit Skyline. Another alternative is go to Kroger, buy some ground beef and a package of Cincinnati Chili spice mix and make my own. Depends on what time of day I get this big revelation.

Then I stop and reflect. Closed on Sunday, how often do you see that these days? I can pretty well guarantee in this neighborhood it would be their biggest daily gross of the week. But I give them credit. The original owner and founder this was his policy, and the successor has stood by it. They may work the ass off their employees the other 6 days of the week, but at least the employees have one day they can devote to their families. The almighty dollar is not the only thing to achieve in life. In addition to the fact they have good food, this is another reason they have my allegiance.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 AM

221 posts, read 336,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
......My other late night location was Skyline at 7707 Montgomery Rd in a strip center between Silverton and Kenwood. We would hit there at 1-1:30 AM. Still one of my favorite locations because I swear the same family still runs it, likely the sons and grandsons.......
Oh, yes, when I'm in town, that Skyline location is one of my favorites, too. I'm usually staying somewhere in the Blue Ash area. They seem to always be doing good business and the service is good. The only problem is when they're crowded, the parking can get pretty tight. I like watching the guys behind the counter, some of them seem to have been there for years and it does seem to be a family operation. It's almost like watching a family-run Italian restaurant. It's my go-to Skyline if I'm not headed to the Clifton location for the UC "ambience."

Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Then I stop and reflect. Closed on Sunday, how often do you see that these days? I can pretty well guarantee in this neighborhood it would be their biggest daily gross of the week. But I give them credit. The original owner and founder this was his policy, and the successor has stood by it. They may work the ass off their employees the other 6 days of the week, but at least the employees have one day they can devote to their families. The almighty dollar is not the only thing to achieve in life. In addition to the fact they have good food, this is another reason they have my allegiance.

You would not believe some of the venom that is directed toward retail businesses who close on Sundays. I agree with you that it is great for employees to be able to spend ONE day a week with their families. When my wife was in retailing, I was lucky to be n the one area in Virginia that still had blue laws that kept the malls closed.

It is a real plus for me too.

It is a shame that all of the stores feel a need to stay open on even the major holidays.However, as long as people shop on those days ...

Old 11-11-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is a shame that all of the stores feel a need to stay open on even the major holidays.However, as long as people shop on those days ...
Let's face it, the vast majority of our population has become strictly selfish, they want what they want when they want it. Consideration of other people and their life problems does not enter into the equation. It is strictly me, me, me. Then our politicians wonder why the electorate votes for who they feel will give them the most on the public dole. The politicians created this mess in their search for votes, so let them figure a way out of it.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Awesome. I'll have to figure out their hours and swing over there sometime. Thanks for the heads-up!
Just stopped in US Chili this afternoon. Very good chili. Very old on the inside, I mean I think it's all original in there. Otherwise, cool place with mostly older patrons.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Just stopped in US Chili this afternoon. Very good chili. Very old on the inside, I mean I think it's all original in there. Otherwise, cool place with mostly older patrons.
Sounds like a neat place to me. I like places which just go on and on with little change. As long as they put out the product at a reasonable price that is fine with me. If you ever make it out to the original Blue Ash Chili in Blue Ash you will find it to be much the same. An old place just serving up the same great food. But if you go to Blue Ash you must get a doubledecker, even if you just take it home. A ham&beef doubledecker will feed both you and the wife.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,542 times
Quote:
Sounds like a neat place to me. I like places which just go on and on with little change. As long as they put out the product at a reasonable price that is fine with me. If you ever make it out to the original Blue Ash Chili in Blue Ash you will find it to be much the same. An old place just serving up the same great food. But if you go to Blue Ash you must get a doubledecker, even if you just take it home. A ham&beef doubledecker will feed both you and the wife.
I'm with you kjbrill. The oldness adds character. I was really upset when Chili Time renovated a few years ago. The food's still good, but it just doesn't feel the same. I especially hate the new bar stools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati