U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 AM

5,639 posts, read 8,748,046 times

Advertisements

1) Allergies. I just saw the most recent Top 25 list and thankfully Cincy was not among the worst cities for allergy sufferers. Dayton is however. If there are any people suffering from allergies from ragweed, pollen, mold etc. that read this, in your own estimation, just how bad is it in Cincinnati when the season hits?

2) Organic grocery stores. Are there any in the Cincinnati area other than Whole Foods? I'd prefer to spend my money in a locally owned store when I purchase organic veggies than a chain.

3) Are there any locally owned grocery stores in the Covington-Newport area of KY? Even an IGA or something similar will do. Kroger is a nice store for what it is but I would prefer to support a mom and pop store or two if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
OP...

Remke Markets is the largest locally owned chain, based out of NKY. They may not satisfy your concept of a mom&pop operation, of which few exist. When Biggs decided to exit the Cincinnati market, Remke took over 7 of their stores, bringing the Remke name into Cincinnati, and becoming Remke-Biggs.

Kroger is still the 800 lb gorilla in town, and likely deservingly so. They were founded here, are still headquartered here, and will give a ton of competition to anyone who challenges their turf.

Wal-Mart obviously has a presence, though I personally do not like the way they present their grocery/meat departments. Meijer out of Michigan, a Wal-Mart clone, is doing quite well here at least in the northern suburbs.

If you want to confine yourself to local ownership, then you better plan on going to Findlay Market frequently. Once the local farmer's markets play out in the fall, there are few sources of locally owned and/or grown produce.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 AM

3,377 posts, read 3,693,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
...Are there any locally owned grocery stores in the Covington-Newport area of KY? Even an IGA or something similar will do. Kroger is a nice store for what it is but I would prefer to support a mom and pop store or two if possible.
I know what you mean by locally owned grocery stores, but just can't resist suggesting that the Newport Kroger store qualifies as being "locally owned," since its parent company headquarters sits directly across the river. And, besides that--once you venture into the Newport Kroger store, you'll probably forget about all the rest--it's simply that kind of place.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:37 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,011,892 times
Hi WILWRadio--

1) Having lived in both Cincinnati and Dayton, I can say that for some reason my allergies were three times worse in Cincinnati than in Dayton. I swear, I'm allergic to Cincinnati. About three times a year, I get a bout of wheezing, stuffy nose, sneezing, watery eyes, etc. almost like clockwork. I can pretty accurately predict when I get it every year. Well, I take that back - moving to Dayton reduced the number of times from three to one.

2) There's a bunch of locally owned operations, but nothing organic AFAIK. If you're into goetta or meat in general, I suggest checking out Finke's, though. Steer clear of Remke's unless you're prepared to pay a significant price premium over Wal-Mart or even Kroger.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:50 AM

5,639 posts, read 8,748,046 times
Thanks. Does either Remke or Kroger sell all natural meats? Here in the KC area there is a Iowa based chain called Hy-Vee that sells "Smart Chicken" as opposed to Imbecilic Chicken I suppose and that is free from steroids and apparently the chickens are fed all natural feed. Same thing with the beef. Amana (as in the Radar Range) Beef is all natural and free from steroids. A little more pricey but much better quality over the other junk found there and in other stores here.

I can grow my own veggies with a hydroponic garden inside the house during the winter or year round. Any veggies that are really difficult to grow I will buy at Findley Market or at another area market that has organic produce.

When I learned that Louisville was really bad for allergy sufferers I decided to pass on moving there. I just hope Cincy is not as bad as the KC area for allergies. This place has been the worst of any place I've lived in that respect and of course several others that I have mentioned in past message strings. I use an air purifier in the home and that helps a lot but of course when I am outside or working I look and feel like crap.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 AM

9,345 posts, read 15,780,146 times
It's not called "sinus valley" for nothing.

For groceries, you might want to take a look at Jungle Jims in Fairfield some time.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 3,780 times
Just some input on local Grocery Stores in Park Hills, KY

For meat - try Finke's
For produce - try Loschiavo's

MC

Old 09-21-2012, 09:11 AM

31,154 posts, read 57,274,608 times
I never had sinus problems until I moved to Cincinnati. (that being said, my sinuses were 200 kazillion times happier in Cincinnati than they are in Philadelphia) When I'd drive north on 71, I'd hit a certain area, probably somewhere in Madison County, and my sinuses would clear noticeably. Kinda surreal.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:26 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
Well. The organic tag doesn't mean a lot to me. But here are websites for places I frequent. Most are at Findlay Market and operate year round, though some things are obviously seasonal.

Welcome to Daisy Mae's Market

Portal Page of Madison's at Findlay Market Web Site - Call (513)723-0590

Merchants / Product Listings | Findlay Market of Cincinnati, Ohio

Park + Vine | Park + Vine

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clift...57427400947561

Inside Findlay Market there are many places that sell seafood and meats. Don't let the Farmer's Market fool you into thinking all of Findlay Market is seasonal. We get a lot of out food there year round.

My wife get's some things from Meijers and such, but hardly ever does get food from Kroger's and aforementioned competition.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:32 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Amish grown chicken from northern ohio is available in most markets. It is not only claimed to be naturally grown only but is usually sold fresh, not frozen. Not being frozen it must be moved quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati