Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 PM

800 posts, read 950,774 times

Advertisements

When I lived on the east coast (Boston) I did not have a car, and it was liberating, not confining. I biked, walked, or took the subway or bus everywhere. My workplace had about 40 employees and only two dedicated parking spaces (in the garage of a nearby building). One was for the owner, the other was for "the car", which was used to run errands.

Unfortunately in Cincinnati the culture is such that we look down upon those who ride the bus or ride bikes to work. In fact, to do so is to announce that one is "eccentric", and absolutely can hurt your career depending on the sympathies of your boss.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:01 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
>So a lot of people don't want cars! What is a lot, 5%, 10%, 40% where are the statistics?

HAVE YOU EVER LOOKED ANYTHING UP?

In Cincinnati 23% of adults do not own cars:

I have heard a similar statistic for the entire state of Ohio. So this is some combination of people who are too old to drive, cannot physically drive, cannot afford a car, or do not want a car. You will see that New York City -- the most important city in the world -- has the highest percentage of citizens without a car. Washington, DC is not far behind. So top of this list is an obvious mix of both the most important cities and the poorest cities.

Clearly, a large percentage of the smartest people understand that vehicle ownership is one of the greatest impediments to wealth accumulation. Meanwhile, all the suckers in the Midwest have been tricked into thinking their lives are better because they have a driveway full of cars and a back yard they spend thousands more annually to babysit.
I think the actual statement was 23% of households in Cincinnati do not own cars. But considering the number of single adult households in Cincinnati I guess there is not much difference. And giving the adult population of Cincinnati was pegged at 231,000 if I only attribute 1 adult per household that is a total of 53,000 car less. That is a rather paltry number compared to the metro population as a whole.

I can agree if I lived in NYC I would not own a car. What are you going to do with it, pay a week's salary to park when going out to dinner? But once again that is a misleading number as it references people who live in NYC.

So a large percentage of the smartest people understand that vehicle ownership is an impediment to wealth accumulation? So living in some grossly overpriced apartment or condo is a smarter idea?

I put 4 kids through college and supplied each one of them a car. Two of them lived at home and commuted to UC. I know what on-campus housing cost even then, and believe me the cars were cheap. The other two went out of state and lived in off campus housing. Again, the cars were cheap.

In addition, all of them drove the cars provided for them several years after graduating. So they could concentrate on their careers rather than how they were going to get to work.

My kids all have the same attitude towards cars as I have. They are a tool to serve you. After you own one for a number of years it becomes something you attach to, simply because you recognize its idiosyncrasies. It is like a favorite pair of shoes you have broke in, or maybe that jacket you just don't want to agree is worn out. But be careful don't go overboard.

I am reasonably sure both myself and my kids have never gotten rid of a car less than 10 years old. To me this is a good feeling. By the time we decide to get rid of a car, we would be too embarrassed to sell it to anyone else. We know everything which is wrong with it, and after adding up all of the pluses and minuses have determined it has only one destination - call a tower to the junk yard.

Some people, like me, just have an aficionado for mechanical things.

Just bring on your outbursts that Ohioans are stupid! I just do not accept that!

What is stupid is investing in technology which has not progressed for over 2 centuries.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:30 PM

4,481 posts, read 6,235,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
What is stupid is investing in technology which has not progressed for over 2 centuries.
A simple google search will yield results in how trains have advanced over the years. This statement just makes no sense. You act like we're still using steam engines.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:27 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
A simple google search will yield results in how trains have advanced over the years. This statement just makes no sense. You act like we're still using steam engines.
Still using steel rails held in place by wooden ties. If that is not antique what is?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Still using steel rails held in place by wooden ties. If that is not antique what is?
Ya, bitumin is the new technology. Oh wait, didn't Noah use that to water proof the Arc?

Old 09-30-2012, 06:50 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,752,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Ya, bitumin is the new technology. Oh wait, didn't Noah use that to water proof the Arc?

Ark

Some people are too disorganized to meet transportation schedules.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Some people are too disorganized to meet transportation schedules.
They shouldn't be on the highways then, running late and driving recklessly.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
Some transportation schedules are absolutely unworkable for certain situations.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:28 AM

800 posts, read 950,774 times
>I put 4 kids through college and supplied each one of them a car. Two of them lived at home and commuted to UC. I know what on-campus housing cost even then, and believe me the cars were cheap. The other two went out of state and lived in off campus housing. Again, the cars were cheap.

Cars are not "cheap", and I am skeptical as to how much can be saved by commuting from home by car rather than living near campus and walking or riding a bike to school. I have paid for absolutely everything related to cars since I was 16 -- driver's ed, all insurance, all repairs, all gas, and of course the cars I have owned. I worked untold hours in fast food and at warehouses just to pay to get to work.

When I finally got the hell out of here and was able to move to a place where I didn't need a car, suddenly all kinds of money was freed up for travel, clothes, savings, all that. But many parents "help out" their children deep into adulthood, to age 30 and beyond.

>Still using steel rails held in place by wooden ties. If that is not antique what is?

Is this just a game to you or what?

Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 AM

Really, I don't understand why there is opposition to rail. Cities that have rail, and have heavily invested in rail, don't ban driving or make life harder on those that chose to drive. It's really a tired argument about what our taxes pay for, especially since roads are paid through public funds and need constant repair.

I think Portland OR, is a good example of a metro similar in size to Cincinnati that has a good public rail system.

TriMet: Rail System Map (MAX, WES and Streetcar)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati