U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:08 AM

7 posts, read 7,482 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have just gotten out the air force and im relocating to Cincinnati to attend school at Xavier in the Spring. Just curious if anyone knew of any good areas to live in that are inexpensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzfiel View Post
Hello, I have just gotten out the air force and im relocating to Cincinnati to attend school at Xavier in the Spring. Just curious if anyone knew of any good areas to live in that are inexpensive?
Well, around that area I would say avoid Avondale and Evanston. Norwood and Oakley are nice. I am not familiar with where Xavier students tend to live. Perhaps someone can weigh in here and get you in the right direction.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:36 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
I suggest contacting Xavier and asking them what are the most popular areas for student housing and the costs. If they are doing their jobs at all this should be the first place to start. They should have a whole department concerned with the subject of student housing. If you get no satisfaction from this, maybe you should reconsider schools.

Last edited by kjbrill; 10-04-2012 at 03:46 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 03:57 PM

Ok i have contacted the school about different places that students live. I'm also transferring from the apple store i work with in florida to the one in Kenwood so maybe that would be a more ideal if i sought out living near the mall.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:08 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,354,585 times
Welcome to Cincinnati and welcome to Xavier.

Do you want to live around a bunch of 18-21 year old students or are you looking for something different?

Is it important for you to be within walking distance of campus or are you comfortable commuting?

Do you have a spouse or a pet?

I can tell you most of the students who live off campus live in Norwood, mostly on streets like Cleaney, Ivanhoe, Hopkins, and some on Clinton Springs in North Avondale, all of which are an easy walk from campus. Most of the rental units on those streets are houses, though and students live 5+ to a rental house. If you are interested in roommates, you can get some seriously dirt cheap living options.

If you are able to commute and just want a 1-bedroom apartment, you have a lot of options. I would recommend other parts of Norwood, Pleasant Ridge, Oakley, and even Clifton for low cost housing. A lot depends on your lifestyle.

On campus housing is fairly expensive, but if you can get by without a car it is comparable in price to commuting once you figure in gas and insurance. It is nice to have a car in Cincinnati, though, particularly if you don't have many friends here yet.

Good luck with your move and classes.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,938,347 times
Since you'll be working in Kenwood you might want to situate yourself between school and your job. If so, any neighborhood north of Dana Ave along the Montgomery Rd corridor would be feasible. Just beyond Norwood lies Pleasant Ridge, one of the most popular east-side communities in town for its relatively affordable but nice houses, and on the other side of that are Kennedy Heights and Silverton. All include numerous apartments (particularly along Montgomery and at the beginning of streets that feed into it.) Most of these are in what I term "brick boxes" - separate thread - that typically consist of 4-8 one- and two-bedroom units.
Silverton and Kennedy Hts are more "family-oriented" (which is to say, comparatively lacking in night life.) Norwood and Pleasant Ridge are home to numerous taverns, restaurants, etc by contrast.
For more ideas you might like to join the C-D meetup which will be on Sunday, the 14th of this month.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Ok i have contacted the school about different places that students live. I'm also transferring from the apple store i work with in florida to the one in Kenwood so maybe that would be a more ideal if i sought out living near the mall.
I can't conceive of anything close to Kenwood Mall as being inexpensive, just due to the surroundings. Right next to Kenwood Mall is Jewish Hospital, which I am pretty sure has employees who want to suck up the local rental property. Between the hospital employees and the mall employees, I expect they drive up the rental costs significantly.

Depending on your driving situation, there is also bus service to Kenwood Mall which may be workable. Living in Norwood in a simple apartment may work out.

Glad you contacted the school and inquired about housing. They should have a department where this is the full time job. Good luck in your pursuit and hopefully welcome to Cincinnati.

Just for information, Kenwood Mall, or Kenwood Towne Center as it is formally known, is the largest suburban shopping destination in Cincinnati, just outside of the City. Surrounding it like a fan are some of Cincinnati's most desirable suburbs, Blue Ash, Montgomery, Madeira, Indian Hill, and Mariemont, who also have some of the best schools. Actually there are two shopping centers with Sycamore Plaza being right across Montgomery Rd plus a whole lot of independent expansion stores in the area. The resulting demand does not result in inexpensive housing.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:17 PM

31,201 posts, read 57,343,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I can't conceive of anything close to Kenwood Mall as being inexpensive, just due to the surroundings.
There are several streets' worth of four- and six-family apartment buildings directly across Kenwood Road from the mall that are relatively inexpensive -- or at least, they used to be. What's happened to rents in that area since Jewish Hospital moved in I don't know.

The street names include Happiness Way, Frolic Court, and Merrymaker Lane. I am not kidding.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 PM

Wow! The out reach and community support is none to say the least but very welcoming. I'm currently engaged so I am really not concerned about the night life, my fiancé is currently residing and her parents place in forest park. I would really like a place that is comfortable to walk to and from the store. Being near the mall isn't a requirement i have a car so I'm willing to drive but i wouldn't mind being conservative with my traveling expenses. I have been on Craigslist faithfully and i really haven't had many places call back, but I just need something moderate for the time being and later i can upgrade when i get a better feel of what i would like on more of a consistent basis.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There are several streets' worth of four- and six-family apartment buildings directly across Kenwood Road from the mall that are relatively inexpensive -- or at least, they used to be. What's happened to rents in that area since Jewish Hospital moved in I don't know.

The street names include Happiness Way, Frolic Court, and Merrymaker Lane. I am not kidding.
A short time ago we had a thread concerning a couple relocating from Jerusalem. The husband was to be employed as a doctor at Jewish Hospital in Kenwood. After a number of reiterations they reported back they had settled in a rental in Symmes Township, and said they loved it. They were especially gushy about the parks and green spaces we have around here.

I recognize the streets and apartments you referenced, and also when they were built. Would surprise me if they are still as affordable as years ago, since so many would like to live there to be close to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati