U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:21 AM

189 posts, read 386,843 times

Advertisements

How would a person go about getting the taxes re-adjusted? One of the properties that we are looking at have VERY high taxes and yes it is located in the Little Miami school district. Since we are moving back I am trying to find somewhere with decent taxes and I will be working in the Lebanon area as well. Any advice???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 07:42 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,960,096 times
If you're asking about the valuation of the property for property tax, I believe only the actual owner can appeal the valuation or get it changed. Here in Hamilton County, when you buy real estate, you can generally get it re-valued at what you paid just by filling out some simple paperwork. But as a PROSPECTIVE buyer, I don't think there's anything you can do.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:08 AM

I am looking at a house in Warren county and after the purchase I was going to get it re-valued. I think Little Miami taxes are WAY HIGH!!!! But we really like the house and was hoping to see if we could change the taxes. The taxes are making the house almost out of reach for us on the payment. We don't want to purchse then have the taxes go up even more and not be able to afford the house.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:32 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,960,096 times
The formula is complicated for computing what the taxes would be based on your potential purchase price of the house. But I think any realtor would be able to help you estimate it. Best of luck with your purchase. My husband and I were also in shock about property tax after moving from another state. On balance, it appears that certain other taxes we used to pay are lower or non-existent in Ohio, so it all worked out okay.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:40 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,389,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof2divas View Post
I am looking at a house in Warren county and after the purchase I was going to get it re-valued. I think Little Miami taxes are WAY HIGH!!!! But we really like the house and was hoping to see if we could change the taxes. The taxes are making the house almost out of reach for us on the payment. We don't want to purchse then have the taxes go up even more and not be able to afford the house.
What is the house evaluated at and what are you intending to pay for it. Look the house up by street address on the Warren Co. website Warren County Ohio under property search and check the evaluation.

If you are intending to pay well under the current evaluation you have a good shot at getting the evaluation reduced. But if you are paying at or over the evaluation no chance.

Also, Little Miami Schools have been operating under control of a state commision following seven levy defeats and a declaration of fiscal emergency. This past May the voters finally passed a levy which will get them out of state control. Since it usually takes a while for a levy to show up in actual tax bills make sure the taxes you are looking at include that levy since it will be 2013 before tax year 2012 is billed and paid.

Be careful, the taxes you see on the website are for tax year 2011 which are being paid in 2012. That levy passed in 2012 will not be reflected in those values. So where are the taxes you are seeing coming from? Perhaps a call to the Warren Co. Auditor's office to inquire whether the tax values for tax year 2012 which will be payable in year 2013 are available.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:54 AM

Another remark. Property in Warren Co. was reappriased in 2012. This will be the property evaluation used for tax year 2012 which is payable in 2013. I just received notification of the 2012 property values in the mail a couple weeks ago. Initial property values on the Warren Co. website show the 2011 property values used for the taxes paid in 2012. But there is a provision to see the new 2012 values by clicking on a request. Unfortunately they did not include a provision to see the actual tax year 2012 taxes also.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:05 AM

I called Warren county this week and they told me the house is worth $215K and taxes will be $4150 this upcoming year!!! OUCH. Lebanon is on our search as well since Little Miami has such steep taxes. I am looking forward though to paying $45 for my tags though instead of $180 that we have paid else where!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof2divas View Post
I called Warren county this week and they told me the house is worth $215K and taxes will be $4150 this upcoming year!!! OUCH. Lebanon is on our search as well since Little Miami has such steep taxes. I am looking forward though to paying $45 for my tags though instead of $180 that we have paid else where!
That is the way to do it, go straight to the horse's mouth so to speak. I wasn't sure if they would give the information out, but am glad they are.

Little Miami kind of did it to themselves. The state made them shutter two schools as they did not have enough money to operate them. They were on the verge of forcing the school district to split up. Maineville is the main culpret due to all of the subdivision development which has occurred there with very little business to offset it. After defeating so many levies in a rowbut with enrollment increasing there was little they could do other than plead with the voters to pass a large levy, which just squeaked by.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:52 PM

3,707 posts, read 6,582,122 times
If I understand correctly, there is at least one township in Little Miami School District that has an impact tax that has been placed on developments to help cover the costs of providing services to all the additional homes that were build in their township. That one has nothing to do with the schools.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
If I understand correctly, there is at least one township in Little Miami School District that has an impact tax that has been placed on developments to help cover the costs of providing services to all the additional homes that were build in their township. That one has nothing to do with the schools.
Impact fees are usually a one time thing placed on a property either when the house is built or on the development as streets are constructed and lots platted. They are intended to offset such things as sewer and water plant expansions, infrastructure items. Developers complain they must add these fees onto the price of the property.

Last edited by kjbrill; 10-13-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or