Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 06:19 PM

477 posts, read 664,510 times

Advertisements

Shifting back towards the original topic...

Quote:
That's fine and I'll agree in some instances. But demolishing an attractive, viable, old apartment building for a surface parking lot, not even a garage, is unacceptable.
Its not just parking, its an OVERFLOW parking lot. In other words its only necessary if there are too many other cars that are already parked in the lot. That's what's really maddening about it its just an overflow lot in case something bad went down.

Now do a google sat view of the area, does street parking look very difficult there? No it really isn't notice the amount of stair cases that lead nowhere, tons of demos alreay happened and I know for a fact street permit parking doesn't exist there. What does that leave? An unnecessary lot for unnecessary demos of buildings that are of a stock most cities dream of.

And to those that said, oh its just a few buildings... meanwhile over in Northside an entire block of old houses are being leveled for a road widening. Cincinnati has a unique asset and it is quite literally pissing it away at an alarming rate. - I often wonder if its because people in the region don't travel enough to realize how unique it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 06:38 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
Before anyone jumps on me about this, I want it to be known that I love old structures that are well maintained, whether they are actually historic or not. When my wife and I travel for vacation, it is usually to visit some old town or building or location. We have never gone somewhere to just sit on the beach or to shake hands with Mickey and Goofy.

That being said, I think one way to look at it is ... Do you pay the taxes on the property in question? Do you pay the maintenance and upkeep on the property in question? Do you hold title to the property in question?

If the answer to these questions is no, than you can moan and groan all you want, but if the owners do something with the property, as long as it is not in violation of any code or ordinance, it is their choice.

You may feel it is totally wrong and should be stopped and if that is your thinking, so be it. But unless you are willing to put your money where your mouth is and purchase the property and maintain it, then you are getting all stressed out over something that is out of your control.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:46 PM

112 posts, read 152,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
But unless you are willing to put your money where your mouth is and purchase the property and maintain it, then you are getting all stressed out over something that is out of your control.
Or pressure the city to change its tax code and zoning ordinances to prevent such un-development. After all, for every building that's demolished and not replaced it increases the tax burden and utility costs for everyone else. One can also voice their disdain to the hospital, say that they will think twice about using their services in the face of their blatant disregard for their own neighborhood. It's not out of our control at all, at least not collectively.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:51 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
If Christ Hospital wants to blow up some old buildings, why doesn't it just level those decrepit abandoned row houses on Glencoe? Plenty of space there.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 PM

4,481 posts, read 6,235,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If Christ Hospital wants to blow up some old buildings, why doesn't it just level those decrepit abandoned row houses on Glencoe? Plenty of space there.

Local Architecture: Cincinnati: Glencoe Place

Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 PM

Um, they ARE suburban developments. Who says they aren't?

Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
Sorry, a couple of posts got in there while I was typing. That response was for the pressuring the government to get involved or to use threat of extortion to the business owners.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:06 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I'm aware of the historical significance of that development; but will it ever be salvageable? At what point is it no longer salvageable?

Old 10-20-2012, 07:08 PM

4,481 posts, read 6,235,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm aware of the historical significance of that development; but will it ever be salvageable? At what point is it no longer salvageable?
Oh, it's still salvageable. I doubt anyone will do anything with it at the moment though.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:09 PM

The Glencoe site is so steep at least it's unlikely to ever be turned into yet another a surface parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati