U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:07 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
You're mistaken. Schools aren't a part of a city's budget, at least not in Ohio. Counties collect property taxes, and distribute them to the various entities they are collected for. That's why you pay one property tax bill. School districts are separate from municipalities. (whether city, village, or township)
hensleya is filled with speculative misinformation. This isn't the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,011,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
hensleya is filled with speculative misinformation. This isn't the first time.
Hi TomJones123--

Cold, unpleasant facts.

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/finance...9E/showMeta/0/

The amount of money spent on transportation is buried on page 288 of this report - $23,359,500.

The amount spent on fixing roads is even smaller, $10,163,800. The majority of the "transportation" funds are used on projects such as adding bicycle accesibility, "traffic calming" devices, and other stuff. Basically, nothing conducive to cars.

Police is on page 284 - $135,873,340.

Out of a total budget of $361.5 million - that is on page 20 - it looks like police and roads are some 30-odd percent of the city's budget. I forget what else Mecklenborg was rambling about but it's nowhere near 90%.

Try, try again.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Can we for once have a thread w/o the same old city/county - right/left arguments? Last I checked it was City Data. Not complain about local governments data. Start a new thread for it, or take it to a political forum. This one has it's own topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi TomJones123
In case you missed it. I'm not a self appointed mod, but the SSDD routine get's old from certain posters. It works like this: We have a thread on a certain topic, then the same tired crap comes to play, then we all argue like a bunch of idiots, and we have another bungled thread.

Do what you guys want. I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
In case you missed it. I'm not a self appointed mod, but the SSDD routine get's old from certain posters. It works like this: We have a thread on a certain topic, then the same tired crap comes to play, then we all argue like a bunch of idiots, and we have another bungled thread.

Do what you guys want. I'm just pointing out the obvious.
Hi TomJones123--

I suppose my information is more fairly directed at Mecklenborg since he's the one that stated that "90% of Ohio city budgets go to police and roads!!!!11!". But you did specifically mention me by name and say I was filled speculative information. I obviously had to prove otherwise.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
But you did specifically mention me by name and say I was filled speculative information. I obviously had to prove otherwise.
Yep. And you have been wrong so many times I have lost count. (and not that I think you are right in this case --- I really don't care)

My all time favorite is when you told someone the area around Children's Hospital (Avondale) was safe.

I have an idea though. Let's not make this thread about you, or I either. Later.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:56 PM

2,507 posts, read 3,350,911 times
I haven't been following this thread that much, but my interpretation of the original article is that commuting takes too much time and money in big cities, so the path of least economic resistance for young workers is living where the jobs are.

I think it is dangerous to extrapolate too much about values-shifts and changing paradigms. My personal experience with college students and recent graduates is that students are very risk adverse when it comes to acquiring financial liabilities such as property and car loans, so this could explain part of the renting preference.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
My personal experience with college students and recent graduates is that students are very risk adverse when it comes to acquiring financial liabilities such as property and car loans, so this could explain part of the renting preference.
The articles give age ranges into the mid 30s.

Good points either way.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
My all time favorite is when you told someone the area around Children's Hospital (Avondale) was safe.
Hi TomJones123--

You keep repeating this ad nauseam, so I have to set the record straight. I said that Children's was hit and miss. Now, it's probably more miss than hit, but I've never been robbed, shot, stabbed, carjacked, or burgled there. I was always there during the day. Your mileage may vary.

It's similar to how I still consider OTR to be extremely unsafe - because I've had multiple friends who have been robbed there, the most recent of which was a month ago. Perception and opinion.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,610,543 times
Quote:
The amount of money spent on transportation is buried on page 288 of this report - $23,359,500.

The amount spent on fixing roads is even smaller, $10,163,800. The majority of the "transportation" funds are used on projects such as adding bicycle accesibility, "traffic calming" devices, and other stuff. Basically, nothing conducive to cars.
Whether it is conducive for cars or not, it's still funding on roads. Bicycles still use roads and are a form of transportation.

Last edited by nei; 10-23-2012 at 02:14 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Cincinnati Children's is OK as well. If I were a single woman, I'd stay north of McMillen Avenue, steering clear of Mt. Auburn and Over-the-Rhine.
Quote:
For God sakes, the area around Cincinnati Children's is Avondale and that is one of the worst neighborhoods in Cincinnati. They keep Cincinnati Children's safe by running VERY tight security. But go so much as two blocks into Avondale and you are in a different world.
Just because you need a history lesson, and since you seem intent on hijacking this thread. After this, say what you will, I am getting back on topic and away from this insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati