U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2012, 01:53 PM
 
405 posts, read 651,160 times
Reputation: 460

Advertisements

In case anyone wants one, get 'em while they're hot.

http://www.cps-k12.org/business/Nov8PropertyNotice.pdf

ETA: Holy Moly the old SCPA is in there, woe may be the pendleton if someone tears that down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2012, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,227 posts, read 57,405,335 times
Reputation: 52096
Wow. I want Linwood Elementary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 08:26 PM
 
13,730 posts, read 22,875,303 times
Reputation: 18573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wow. I want Linwood Elementary.
Minimum bid is $50,000.

Wonder if you actually got one of those buildings for $50k, would the taxing authorities assess it for that little??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA
4,730 posts, read 10,951,821 times
Reputation: 6455
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
Holy Moly the old SCPA is in there, woe may be the pendleton if someone tears that down.
Before it was the SCPA, that school was known as Cutter Jr High - training ground for many a juvie back in the day. And before that it was the original Woodward HS. 'twould seem to me that maybe the Art Academy might want to pounce on it in case they max out on space in their own fairly new location.
Hoffman Elementary is a landmark along Victory Parkway just south of Gilbert Ave. Would that it were just a couple of blocks closer to Madison Rd, where it could've possibly caused a gleam in the eye of a condo developer. It's situated in one of those nooks of Evanston where the poverty and crime rates aren't so bad, but I don't think anybody could make a buck off of it by carving classrooms into residences.
The same can't be said for the school on Bruce Ave, since Northside is "hot" these days.
A CPS school in Golf Manor? Who knew? (The neighbors, and anyone whose educational life began there, duh!) Given how charter schools have proliferated in that area, including in the onetime parochial school just a few blocks west in Roselawn, it could well see new life as an academic institution.
Other than that, I don't foresee much of a future for most of the other buildings up for grabs since they're in downtrodden places like Fairmount and the West End. Funny how some structures were left alone while so many others have been demolished in recent times, i.e. the famously ugly - but significant Art Deco - North Avondale Elementary, which became popular as a Montessori school and was torn down regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 12:55 AM
 
13,730 posts, read 22,875,303 times
Reputation: 18573
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Before it was the SCPA, that school was known as Cutter Jr High - training ground for many a juvie back in the day. And before that it was the original Woodward HS. 'twould seem to me that maybe the Art Academy might want to pounce on it in case they max out on space in their own fairly new location.
Hoffman Elementary is a landmark along Victory Parkway just south of Gilbert Ave. Would that it were just a couple of blocks closer to Madison Rd, where it could've possibly caused a gleam in the eye of a condo developer. It's situated in one of those nooks of Evanston where the poverty and crime rates aren't so bad, but I don't think anybody could make a buck off of it by carving classrooms into residences.
The same can't be said for the school on Bruce Ave, since Northside is "hot" these days.
A CPS school in Golf Manor? Who knew? (The neighbors, and anyone whose educational life began there, duh!) Given how charter schools have proliferated in that area, including in the onetime parochial school just a few blocks west in Roselawn, it could well see new life as an academic institution.
Other than that, I don't foresee much of a future for most of the other buildings up for grabs since they're in downtrodden places like Fairmount and the West End. Funny how some structures were left alone while so many others have been demolished in recent times, i.e. the famously ugly - but significant Art Deco - North Avondale Elementary, which became popular as a Montessori school and was torn down regardless.

It looks good ... until you factor in about $1.5M for asbestos abatement and $2.5M for electrical and HVAC renovations.

It is amazing the level of deterioration in some of the buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
4,007 posts, read 4,834,906 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
where it could've possibly caused a gleam in the eye of a condo developer.
The old German language school, Fairview, in Clifton Heights on Stratford Ave was redeveloped into condos and high end apartments. The addition next door was turned into a day care. I agree with you. Some of these schools will never see this sort of redevelopment due to lack of housing demand in said area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 03:40 PM
 
405 posts, read 651,160 times
Reputation: 460
OTOH I feel sort of obligated to write a letter to the house next door to that vacant lot on Paradrome letting them know there will be some misery in their future. That house(condo whatever) will have an awesome view even on the second story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
4,007 posts, read 4,834,906 times
Reputation: 924
Looks like 11 of 13 sold, including two on Bank Street that I thought would never sell. Looking forward to seeing who bought what and what the plans are for them.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...|topnews|text|
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 AM
 
405 posts, read 651,160 times
Reputation: 460
I cannot believe that the corner downhill lot on Paradrome, overlooking the river, sold for only $135k. That is insane. They are selling million dollar condos down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
Reputation: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
I cannot believe that the corner downhill lot on Paradrome, overlooking the river, sold for only $135k. That is insane. They are selling million dollar condos down there.
How to you think some people make money? They keep their eyes and ears open and when a good deal comes along they pounce on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top