U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:59 PM

682 posts, read 1,391,682 times

Advertisements

As far as Westside goes, Westwoof would probably be closer to what you are used too. The are around Werk Road and side streets off it have nice homes built between 1895-1930. Strong neighborhood groups. You get a much nicer house for the money, shopping is convenient and there is Mt Airy Park.

As for section 8, hard to escape as it is everywhere in Cincinnati now, even the burbs and likely will only be expanding in the coming years. Cincinnatio has large 'welfare' society and short of some place like Indian Hill, hard to escape. Even Hyde Park has some section 8 now.

My best advice is find good realtor who knwo the area and explore a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 07:45 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,413,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtikwatch View Post
Thanks for all info so far! Has there been talk of cutting some of the bus routes?
The bus routes are always a volatile thing, depending on ridership and revenue. But I feel more important is whether you feel the west side neighborhoods fit your idea of a place to live. Historically the west side has been more blue-collar, ingrained in their concept of family life and neighborhoods. Historically very safe and solid area. How much this is now changing I am not capable of commenting. But if you look at the concentration of Catholic schools in Cincinnati, the west side has more than their fair share. That should tell you something about the original makeup of the area.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:16 PM

8 posts, read 16,239 times
Again, thanks for all great advice, I truly appreciate it.....please continue to send advice or recommendations as they might occur to you.

And since we were talking a bit about mass transportation, I read some very interesting articles about the partially dug subway under Cincinnati, some with what looked like finished platforms, etc. Any talk of ever finishing? I'm sure mucho $$$ to finish. I just found it interesting, because once when at the Cincinnati museum with my daughter, I observed the model of Cincinnati (from 1920s?) and those amazing looking railcars that would carry people up and down that monster hill near downtown.

Thanks again!

Old 10-27-2012, 09:01 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,843,375 times
Quote:
I read some very interesting articles about the partially dug subway
1 - is the abandoned subway. It will never be finished.

CINCINNATI SUBWAY

Quote:
I observed the model of Cincinnati (from 1920s?) and those amazing looking railcars that would carry people up and down that monster hill near downtown.

Thanks again!
2 - here, you are talking about the inclines.

INCLINES OF CINCINNATI

Old 10-27-2012, 09:29 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,413,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
1 - is the abandoned subway. It will never be finished.

CINCINNATI SUBWAY

2 - here, you are talking about the inclines.

INCLINES OF CINCINNATI
Two very interesting articles. The inclines served a unique purpose in their day. I guess the subway just ran into WW-I and the inflation which came after it. I didn't realize it was designed for 16 miles. That is a fair distance and would have set Cincinnati apart.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,316,286 times
Westwood has some lovely looking homes, but I wouldn't want to live there. There is a sentimentality about the Westside from those who grew up there in the 60's-80's. And there's a great resentment in those who felt that they were pushed out or had to get out to maintain a decent quality of life. And so Greenship Twnshp grew.
There are strong neighborhood groups, but with a reason. They're trying to maintain their childhood homes or "the old neighborhood." A worthy cause but not one that a newcomer would have allegiance to. I say why buy into a struggle you have no stake in?
As for the convenience & shopping, all true, but no where I want to be. Too much of a tough crowd mixin' in the pretty looking Covedale, Westwood and Western Hills for me.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 AM

682 posts, read 1,391,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Westwood has some lovely looking homes, but I wouldn't want to live there. There is a sentimentality about the Westside from those who grew up there in the 60's-80's. And there's a great resentment in those who felt that they were pushed out or had to get out to maintain a decent quality of life. And so Greenship Twnshp grew.
There are strong neighborhood groups, but with a reason. They're trying to maintain their childhood homes or "the old neighborhood." A worthy cause but not one that a newcomer would have allegiance to. I say why buy into a struggle you have no stake in?
As for the convenience & shopping, all true, but no where I want to be. Too much of a tough crowd mixin' in the pretty looking Covedale, Westwood and Western Hills for me.
Have to disagree with your statement, you WANT a strong closeknit neighborhood not some neighborhood with people just passing through, you also want people with a strong committment. Westwood has done a great job of lobbying to get substandard apartments down. They have an urban garden program, They have led the fight to save the Gamble home. Active crime watch and in short peopel who are engaged in their community.

FYI: most of the people I come in contact with in Westwood moved there from out of state, attracted by the architecture, the schools and sense of community.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 PM

800 posts, read 700,685 times
Some of Westwood's problems are rooted in the sewer expansion that started in the 1990s. This is what permitted all of the development near the Rybolt Rd. exit. Previously, any developments out there needed their own water treatment plant (because the Mill Creek/Great Miami Watershed crosses Green Township), which limited it to a handful of condo and apartment complexes. So what has happened since about 2000 is the "new" part of Green Township has been poaching the old part without the overall population or wealth of the township increasing. It's been an unmitigated disaster that nobody predicted in the 1990s when the big sewer plant was built on the Great Miami in Miamitown.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,843,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
So what has happened since about 2000 is the "new" part of Green Township has been poaching the old part without the overall population or wealth of the township increasing.
Sounds like a good example of how all the many, many municipalities in the Cincinnati metro really hamper proper development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or