U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 18,760 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I moved to Cincinnati to start my career with Cincinnati Bell. Moved here about 4 months ago and moved to a terrible area (Clifton) so that I may keep my dog.

I have been searching for a nice Apartment / Condo community ($800 / month range) that isn't far from Norwood (my main office) and has nice Amenities (Swimming pool).

The issue is my dog, she is a Pitbull but she is my baby and I will not get rid of her!

I do not understand why Apartments are so discriminatory, in fact I do not understand how they are able to be so strict.
Pitbulls have been removed from the banned dog list, they have also been removed from the Vicious Dog list...

This ought to remove from apartments and condos any legal or insurance liability... They say that they do not allow "vicious" dogs, but Pitbulls are no longer legally (in Cincinnati) on the "vicious" or "banned" dog list.

Can anyone help me construct a valid argument for apartment complexes or recommend a great community that would allow me to keep my dog.

In Columbus I found one such community where they wanted to meet the dog and if she was fine then I could live there... She passed that test fine, but unfortunately my career brought me to Cincinnati not Columbus.

I hope someone can help me

Sincerely,

Kyle S. Brown
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 05:46 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
I would try the tactic with the apartment management they are being discriminatory and you intend to file charges as such since the pitbull has been removed from the viscious dog category in both local and state laws. Find yourself an ambulance chasing lawyer willing to file a lawsuit just for the publicity it will bring them.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:52 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,726,919 times
I share your affinity for pitbulls. I am not a dog person, but my favorite dogs in the world have been pits owned by responsible friends. They have a great temperament and are good dogs. However, dog fighting is alive and well in Cincinnati and many pitbulls have been trained to be aggressive.

At the end of the day, apartment managers and owners can discriminate based on pets. They could say poodles only or no weiner dogs or no dogs with brown spots or no dogs at all or only small pet pigs are allowed. So the law is on their side. Your best bet is to find an apartment that allows large dogs and if they don't allow pitbulls, talk with the manager about your situation. Do so in person, with the dog if possible, or at least with the dog in the car so that you can show them.

I think it will be a struggle. Most of the larger apartment complexes don't want to deal with dogs and often cats because of potential damage. Drive around, see who has signs in the front yard and start calling numbers. You live here in Cincy so there is no reason to try to find your place through apartments.com or something. Hit the pavement and find something you like.

And finally, sorry that you aren't happy with Clifton. A lot of us like that area, although some streets are better than others. If you need recommendations around Norwood or Oakley, let us know.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:51 AM

I guess Clifton involves a fairly large area.
I just happen to live in the terrible part... yet still I pay 750 / a month

I will be doing some apartment hunting!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleva84 View Post
a terrible area (Clifton) so that I may keep my dog.
Quote:
I guess Clifton involves a fairly large area.
I just happen to live in the terrible part... yet still I pay 750 / a month
Are you sure you are in Clifton? People in Cincinnati randomly apply Clifton to a very large area of the city that isn't Clifton at all. Clifton is out by Ludlow and Clifton Ave. Then there is Clifton Heights in CUF. I am not aware of any terrible areas in Clifton, unless you are near Vine Street in Avondale, or on McMicken Street in Fairview. I hope you find what you are after, there are certainly some crappy areas down the hill west of UC.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Are you sure you are in Clifton? People in Cincinnati randomly apply Clifton to a very large area of the city that isn't Clifton at all. Clifton is out by Ludlow and Clifton Ave. Then there is Clifton Heights in CUF. I am not aware of any terrible areas in Clifton, unless you are near Vine Street in Avondale, or on McMicken Street in Fairview. I hope you find what you are after, there are certainly some crappy areas down the hill west of UC.
I am next to Vine St (by bogarts)
and next to Kroger or... Kro-Ghetto which I avoid like the plague during the first of the month lol

Old 10-25-2012, 08:12 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,918 times
Quote:
I am next to Vine St (by bogarts)
and next to Kroger or... Kro-Ghetto which I avoid like the plague during the first of the month lol
Oh, you are in Corryville. Corryville is a nice blend of UC students, sprinkled throughout the hood. I came close to buying a house on Fosdick Street across from the rec. center. The neighborhood has potential and some restored homes throughout, and of course the new, really expensive for the area condos and townhomes over by MLK. But overall the neighborhood still has problems with robberies and an occasional murder.

But, check out Mecklenburg Gardens

Mecklenburg Gardens: A Cincinnati Tradition Since 1865, German Food, Beer, and Entertainment in Cincinnati, Ohio

Excellent German food, and excellent German beer selection.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Oh, you are in Corryville. Corryville is a nice blend of UC students, sprinkled throughout the hood. I came close to buying a house on Fosdick Street across from the rec. center. The neighborhood has potential and some restored homes throughout, and of course the new, really expensive for the area condos and townhomes over by MLK. But overall the neighborhood still has problems with robberies and an occasional murder.

But, check out Mecklenburg Gardens

Mecklenburg Gardens: A Cincinnati Tradition Since 1865, German Food, Beer, and Entertainment in Cincinnati, Ohio

Excellent German food, and excellent German beer selection.
Thanks for the tip! Sounds like an awesome place to take a date!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:48 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,726,919 times
Kyleva84 - the place you live now is a sort of cool area. give it a chance and check out some of the local spots and you may find it to be more interesting than you thought. at the very least head down to ludlow ave on any given thursday, friday, or saturday night and see what's what. but i certainly understand wanting a change - it is tough when you move to a place not knowing the neighborhoods or which is the best fit.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:31 PM

16 posts, read 28,977 times
I used to foster pitties before we relocated here, and unfortunately ended up renting a house that has pet restrictions. But I do belong to a FB group called the Blockheads. There are 200 members, so maybe one of them can help? Here is the link. Have you had your pup CGC certified? I think that helps. I also had a friend in BWI go to the vet to get a breed verification, and the vet said that the dog was a mixed breed. There are also dog DNA tests that you can do, though I don't think they're 100% accepted by people yet (link here).

On another note, you should take your dog to Bark Bash in Voice of America Park tomorrow! It's National Pit Bull Day and two rescues are having an event. It would be a great place for you to ask around! I think we may go even though we don't have a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or