U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM

864 posts, read 1,197,974 times

Advertisements

Buddy Grey will receive absolutely no praise from me. He destroyed what should have been one of the mosy beautiful neighborhoods in the country, and turned my family's old neighborhood into a slum. I'm glad he's gone.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM

477 posts, read 530,405 times
Quote:
What's your reference point(s) besides Wikipedia?
The results of his actions, the condition of the Over-The-Rhine until very recently, which now and then we'd drive through to get from Downtown to the area around the university when I was growing up. He did absolutely everything in his power to keep the neighborhood in that appalling condition and by proxy kept the whole city down.

If it wasn't for him OTR could have been reborn in the 1980s and a lot more structures would have been saved, the morale of Cincinnati would be a lot better and urban life would be one heck of a lot stronger. The local economy would have had more low paying jobs because tourism would have been better which would have helped the poor a lot more than Buddy's advocacy which lead to a superghetto.

I've also seen a documentary produced by now Councilwoman Laure Quinlivan about OTRs issues as well if that's a more legit source (I know she touches on the conflict between Jim Tarbell (pro restoration) and Buddy Gray (pro homeless.)

Visions of Vine Street - WCPO - YouTube

I could not believe how effectively destructive this guy was, he had the whole city by the balls to make bad policy decisions based on his utopic views. Though I guess poor leadership who should have called him out and faught him more should be to blame too. I'm not sure why he wasn't arrested for squatting on the old union building.

While the circumstances of his death were tragic, he doesn't get much sympathy from me, its like Timothy Treadwell in Grizzly Man who met his fate by being just as passionately self destructive for what seemed to be a good cause.

Last edited by neilworms2; 10-29-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
This discussion has been quite a source of information to me. Not being that close to the subject, the revelation some organizations purporting to be benevolent in nature may have actually been more destructive than constructive. I do recall reading some things about the Anna Louise Inn, which I believe is a shelter for abused women. I also recall some comments concerning church run facilities in OTR not being necessarily good for the neighborhood. I think Wilson513 posted some remarks to that effect. Come to think of it, Wilson has been quiet lately.

How about chiming in here Wilson and stating how you think these social charities should be handled, where they should be located, and who should be put in charge of running them.

I admit to having mixed emotions about these social organizations as I do believe we have a human duty to be compassionate and help the less fortunate. But I also firmly believe those being helped should be willing to pitch in and help themselves. Otherwise declare them as mentally incompetent and stick them in an institution somewhere, preferably remote from the rest of society. I would suggest a southestern desert where they have to prepare adobe bricks for their own shelter or swelter in the sun, their choice.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I do recall reading some things about the Anna Louise Inn, which I believe is a shelter for abused women.
Btw, the Anna Louise Inn is not run like some of these poverty pimp organizations to my understanding. Few problems are caused in the surrounding neighborhoods due to its policies.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:56 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,464,763 times
Yea, I hope everyone's consistent about wanting both Drop Inn and the Women's Shelter being moved. What I don't want to see is people wanting to move Drop Inn because it's close to where they live and many of its inhabitants are African-American, but then support the Women's Shelter because it it's near a couple big corporations, and many of its inhabitants are White. That would be truly hypocritical and very disappointing. While I may not agree with the people who oppose moving both, I would respect their consistency.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:21 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,124,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Buddy Grey will receive absolutely no praise from me. He destroyed what should have been one of the mosy beautiful neighborhoods in the country, and turned my family's old neighborhood into a slum. I'm glad he's gone.
I've been around the area on foot (also worked at the clinic at the Free Store for a while).

If you are talking buildings, the Drop Inn Center always looked pretty nice to me, particularly compared to something that looks like it's about to collapse, like Music Hall.

If you are talking things like landscaping, Pat Clifford seriously liked the idea of planting flowers.

If you are talking about people you think are pretty low on the scale of human values, well, how much closer can you get to the police department than where the Drop Inn Center is?

So, are you really talking about the Drop In Center or is it maybe ReStoc?

Old 10-29-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
The results of his actions, the condition of the Over-The-Rhine until very recently, which now and then we'd drive through to get from Downtown to the area around the university when I was growing up. He did absolutely everything in his power to keep the neighborhood in that appalling condition and by proxy kept the whole city down.

If it wasn't for him OTR could have been reborn in the 1980s and a lot more structures would have been saved, the morale of Cincinnati would be a lot better and urban life would be one heck of a lot stronger. The local economy would have had more low paying jobs because tourism would have been better which would have helped the poor a lot more than Buddy's advocacy which lead to a superghetto.

I've also seen a documentary produced by now Councilwoman Laure Quinlivan about OTRs issues as well if that's a more legit source (I know she touches on the conflict between Jim Tarbell (pro restoration) and Buddy Gray (pro homeless.)

Visions of Vine Street - WCPO - YouTube

I could not believe how effectively destructive this guy was, he had the whole city by the balls to make bad policy decisions based on his utopic views. Though I guess poor leadership who should have called him out and faught him more should be to blame too. I'm not sure why he wasn't arrested for squatting on the old union building.

While the circumstances of his death were tragic, he doesn't get much sympathy from me, its like Timothy Treadwell in Grizzly Man who met his fate by being just as passionately self destructive for what seemed to be a good cause.
Again, is this maybe in reference to ReStoc?

I usually can't get videos. If you have something with still pictures I'll be happy to look.

You say you drove through it years ago. Buddy wasn't there if you go back far enough. You realize, of course, that old neighborhoods never look good from a car because the view is compacted.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
This discussion has been quite a source of information to me. Not being that close to the subject, the revelation some organizations purporting to be benevolent in nature may have actually been more destructive than constructive. I do recall reading some things about the Anna Louise Inn, which I believe is a shelter for abused women. I also recall some comments concerning church run facilities in OTR not being necessarily good for the neighborhood. I think Wilson513 posted some remarks to that effect. Come to think of it, Wilson has been quiet lately.

How about chiming in here Wilson and stating how you think these social charities should be handled, where they should be located, and who should be put in charge of running them.

I admit to having mixed emotions about these social organizations as I do believe we have a human duty to be compassionate and help the less fortunate. But I also firmly believe those being helped should be willing to pitch in and help themselves. Otherwise declare them as mentally incompetent and stick them in an institution somewhere, preferably remote from the rest of society. I would suggest a southestern desert where they have to prepare adobe bricks for their own shelter or swelter in the sun, their choice.
Now you are really making me pick through my memory.

City Beat once did a story about a truly tragic case of a woman thrown out of Anna Louise Inn who got killed crossing the street. She was either deaf or mute, I'm not sure which anymore. I think Tafts have backed the place.

As for churchy stuff, well, outside of OTR, I still recall the Archdiocese paying out a million or two in the death of a girl killed by equipment while volunteering at the then shelter in Dayton....

Old 10-29-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Btw, the Anna Louise Inn is not run like some of these poverty pimp organizations to my understanding. Few problems are caused in the surrounding neighborhoods due to its policies.
Like maybe send 'em to the Drop Inn Center.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
You say you drove through it years ago. Buddy wasn't there if you go back far enough. You realize, of course, that old neighborhoods never look good from a car because the view is compacted.
That was before I was born. I live in a late 1800s neighborhood in Chicago and understand the signs of a bad versus a good neighborhood. Few neighborhoods I've been in Btw were as scary as me riding in my parents car in the 1990s through Over-The-Rhine even if it was on vine street. In the early 00s btw I was with my parents and we made a wrong turn that took us down pleasant street, it was even worse because it wasn't the main drag. There was such a concentration of poverty in that neighborhood that there were large groups of troublemakers loitering everywhere, prostitutes on the streets etc. Plus I've seen tons of other neighborhoods that were OLDER than OTR or the SAME vintage in cities like Boston and New York, built at similar densities they look way nicer even if there is a bit of urban grime .

I'll try to find some non video sources to back this up for you when I have a bit more time after work.

Finally ReStock was part of Buddy Gray's mess too - he founded it! They bought up tons of properties and only a few were restored (the story behind buddy's place is a good one I'll admit), but for the most part they ruined the neighborhood. On top of that, Gray was so effective at controlling the city that he was able to get funding for much of his failed housing endevors! Finally the Drop didn't used to have any requirements for the people who went there to improve their standing and they tolerated unsavory behavior by allowing sex offenders and violent people in there as well.

Last edited by neilworms2; 10-29-2012 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati