U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:34 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,843,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Yea, I'm not originally from Cinti, so I never knew that the windows weren't supposed to be covered. I thought they were supposed to be that way! It's one of those buildings I can just sit and stare at it and marvel at its perfect symmetry. Union Terminal is another one of those buildings.....I want to get a family picture taken in front of it.
I love Union Terminal! Take the family there to the museums often. And ditto on Music Hall. I pass by there almost every day, and have also sat in Washington Park and stared at it's awesomeness!

Old 10-30-2012, 04:05 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,471,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I love Union Terminal! Take the family there to the museums often. And ditto on Music Hall. I pass by there almost every day, and have also sat in Washington Park and stared at it's awesomeness!
Yea, I actually got the idea of a family photo from some local magazine who profiled area leaders. I'm looking at it right now......someone by the name of Nancy Musser is sitting just in front of the fountain with Union Terminal serving as the back drop. It's pretty cool looking especially with the fountain shooting water over her left shoulder. I reeks of "Cincinnati" and I thought it would be really cool for a family photo (would be a lot more striking than the typical "blurred" background).

And now that I think about it, a shot like this in front of the Music Hall would be equally as impressive.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:50 PM

477 posts, read 531,594 times
^-Last time I was in Cincy I went to Washington Park and got a picture of me with it in the background. Its such an epic shot :-) - one that we've been denied so many years... even historically the park didn't have that vista.

When I was at MPMF the popular indie band Grizzly Bear's lead singer even mentioned how beautiful that area is now (he played on a temporary stage right in front of the place for the festival under a semi-full moon lit night)

To bring it back to topic, I feel sadly that if Buddy Grey had his way Cincinnati would still not have that vista, nor washington park, it would be a haven for deadbeats/junkies/prostitutes as it was for so many years .

Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,132,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post

To bring it back to topic, I feel sadly that if Buddy Grey had his way Cincinnati would still not have that vista, nor washington park, it would be a haven for deadbeats/junkies/prostitutes as it was for so many years .
At the risk of repeating myself, messages #34 and #29.

And, there are people alive who would be dead if Buddy had not been around.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
And, there are people alive who would be dead if Buddy had not been around.
One can do good deeds w/o perpetuating poverty.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 AM

1,881 posts, read 2,132,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
One can do good deeds w/o perpetuating poverty.
I doubt very seriously that the "clientele" individual savings program has been eliminated in recent years as it was a way to save for a down payment for an apartment. If by some quirk it's no longer in play, it might be pointed out that Streetvibes is clearly a personal income generating system, and Pat Clifford ran that before he ran the Drop Inn Center.

Those are hardly ideas "perpetuating poverty" and suggests TomJones123 doesn't know a thing about what's being discussed and maybe needs some new acquaintances.

And since this reply is to a "TomJones123" comment, I might also mention the historic overlay mentioned elsewhere, to the best of my knowledge, still starts at the Hamilton/Butler county line and does not include Cincinnati at all, even though it might be right to include the General Electric plant. It's all completely local, no national or international heritage involved.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,415,280 times
I believe in conservation and restoration of public facilities. But I also believe there is a point where emotion overtakes logic.

OK, if you don't believe Union Terminal has some serious problems, look at this:

Cincinnati Union Terminal tour of repair needs and damage in the building - YouTube

That is now a 4 year old assessment.

Here are some more up to date assessments of what it will cost to repair Union Terminal:

HTTP Error 403

The one item not clearly stated here is while there may be an endowment fund established to maintain Music Hall, the lions share of the renovations will be paid for by the Louise Nippert Trust.

They are asking for taxpayers to foot the bill for Union Terminal. I am against this because I believe it is now obvious the problems with the terminal are due to inadequate and faulty design resulting in major structural damage over time. No matter how grand of an appearance it has the fact is short-cuts were taken in its design and construction which have taken a toll. There is no way a structure of its grandeur and age should be facing the problems it has. But doing a point-and-tuck repair job at a huge cost is only going to delay the inevitable a few more years.

Last edited by kjbrill; 10-31-2012 at 09:42 AM..

Old 10-31-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Those are hardly ideas "perpetuating poverty" and suggests TomJones123 doesn't know a thing about what's being discussed and maybe needs some new acquaintances.
I am talking specifically how Buddy Grey purchased many properties and NEVER did anything with them. Are you really trying to tell me that Buddy Grey helped OTR's development in any way? No. He did not. He and his legacy are anti-development and would prefer OTR stay a slum. Except now, they can't stop it because the city, and more importantly corporations who fund 3CDC, have been changing OTR for the better for nearly a decade and drop in center can't do a thing to stop it.

And let's cut to the chase. Why is it ok for OTR to be a run down slum? Personally, I hope sections of it become affluent. If affordable housing is so important (and it is) then let's spread the wealth. Let's have affordable housing in Westchester, Mason, and other suburbs that don't want to deal with homeless problems.

Peasant. As for new acquaintances. I have had neighbors go homeless and stay at the drop in center. I know more about it than you might think. One specific neighbor was placed in housing in my neighborhood from the drop in center only to go homeless again.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 AM

3,386 posts, read 3,721,170 times
What do either the maintenance of Music Hall or the repair of Union Terminal have to do with the Drop Inn Center (?)

Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,415,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
What do either the maintenance of Music Hall or the repair of Union Terminal have to do with the Drop Inn Center (?)
They are both publicly funded facilities. As such, they probably deserve their own threads. But when we discuss public funding, they will come up, if for no other reason than their being worthwhile against the Drop Inn Center. For that matter, their worthwhile compared to anything else 3CDC is doing downtown. People have to gauge who is doing the best job with the resources they have. There is a limited availability of public funds and they should all have to live up to the standard of accountability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati