Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:04 AM

865 posts, read 1,472,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
They are asking for taxpayers to foot the bill for Union Terminal. I am against this because I believe it is now obvious the problems with the terminal are due to inadequate and faulty design resulting in major structural damage over time. No matter how grand of an appearance it has the fact is short-cuts were taken in its design and construction which have taken a toll. There is no way a structure of its grandeur and age should be facing the problems it has. But doing a point-and-tuck repair job at a huge cost is only going to delay the inevitable a few more years.
Union Terminal isn't going anywhere. Period.

And by the way, I remember seeing an article a couple years ago that a lot of those issues in that video had been repaired. I don't remember where is saw it, but I believe they now want money to correct a different set of issues.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
What do either the maintenance of Music Hall or the repair of Union Terminal have to do with the Drop Inn Center (?)
In a word - NOTHING. I am sure the poster who brought those topics into this context is the same one who relentlessly endeavors to utilize as many threads as they can as their soapbox to start arguments and flame wars.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 AM

477 posts, read 664,551 times
Quote:
In a word - NOTHING. I am sure the poster who brought those topics into this context is the same one who relentlessly endeavors to utilize as many threads as they can as their soapbox to start arguments and flame wars.
Ditto, I'm not even responding to it.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 AM

477 posts, read 664,551 times
Quote:
And, there are people alive who would be dead if Buddy had not been around.
And there are people who died in violent crimes that were a result of the environment he helped create and perpetuate. Studies all over the place have shown that concentration of poverty is not a good thing, and he encouraged it and repelled any attempt to stop it every step of the way. Here's one straight from HUD: http://www.huduser.org/portal/period...ighlight2.html

You need to watch Grizzly Man if you haven't yet, same principal, Timothy Treadwell raised awareness of environmental issues by going to schools and discussing the issues that Grizzly Bears faced in the wild from the encroachment of mankind, but he was also an egomaniac who had little concept of reality and it lead to his own death at the hands of a Grizzly he was trying to protect.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:35 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I am talking specifically how Buddy Grey purchased many properties and NEVER did anything with them. Are you really trying to tell me that Buddy Grey helped OTR's development in any way? No. He did not. He and his legacy are anti-development and would prefer OTR stay a slum. Except now, they can't stop it because the city, and more importantly corporations who fund 3CDC, have been changing OTR for the better for nearly a decade and drop in center can't do a thing to stop it.

And let's cut to the chase. Why is it ok for OTR to be a run down slum? Personally, I hope sections of it become affluent. If affordable housing is so important (and it is) then let's spread the wealth. Let's have affordable housing in Westchester, Mason, and other suburbs that don't want to deal with homeless problems.

Peasant. As for new acquaintances. I have had neighbors go homeless and stay at the drop in center. I know more about it than you might think. One specific neighbor was placed in housing in my neighborhood from the drop in center only to go homeless again.
TomJones123:

Your exact words were "perpetuating poverty" and "poverty" is a word applicable to people, not places.

I have no idea regarding the specifics of the case of your neighbor, but when I worked there, the Drop Inn Center did not do any actual placements. All that was done was someone was given a list of possible places to check out, like a list of HUD housing readily available on the internet.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
but he was also an egomaniac who had little concept of reality and it lead to his own death at the hands of a Grizzly he was trying to protect.
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but that almost seems like a parallel with Buddy Grey getting killed by a homeless man he housed in his center.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
The first one to mention Music Hall was me, and if you mean to say I'm some kind of nasty old flamer, I thoroughly resent your slam.

Postscript: and by the way, the name is spelled Gray, not Grey.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
What do either the maintenance of Music Hall or the repair of Union Terminal have to do with the Drop Inn Center (?)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
The first one to mention Music Hall was me, and if you mean to say I'm some kind of nasty old flamer, I thoroughly resent your slam.
To get you up to speed, we had been diverted to the maintenance and repair of these two structures, taking us WAY off topic.

As for spelling....whatever. Grey..Gray..can we get back on topic now?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
And there are people who died in violent crimes that were a result of the environment he helped create and perpetuate. Studies all over the place have shown that concentration of poverty is not a good thing, and he encouraged it and repelled any attempt to stop it every step of the way. Here's one straight from HUD: Evidence Matters: Understanding Neighborhood Effects of Concentrated Poverty | HUD USER

You need to watch Grizzly Man if you haven't yet, same principal, Timothy Treadwell raised awareness of environmental issues by going to schools and discussing the issues that Grizzly Bears faced in the wild from the encroachment of mankind, but he was also an egomaniac who had little concept of reality and it lead to his own death at the hands of a Grizzly he was trying to protect.
The 'environment" was there before Buddy ever came along. He wasn't from Over-The-Rhine, or have you forgotten that? And, if you mean the most recent rioting, might I mention that the man was shot in the shadow of a police substation? Buddy got property where he could.

Thank you for the link. It seems to refer to public housing and making vouchers temporary. As I am expecting someone to knock on the door at any minute, I will have to read it later.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
The 'environment" was there before Buddy ever came along.
So he took it upon himself to preserve that environment? That environment is largely gone. OTR, while it still has some rough spots, is vastly changed from what it used to be. Heck, even Republic Street is safe these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati