U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,842,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Buddy got property where he could.
For the record, I am not slamming you for supporting causes you believe in and being willing to help out. In fact, I admire that.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 AM

477 posts, read 531,394 times
Quote:
The 'environment" was there before Buddy ever came along. He wasn't from Over-The-Rhine, or have you forgotten that? And, if you mean the most recent rioting, might I mention that the man was shot in the shadow of a police substation? Buddy got property where he could.
He made things worse. OTR still had a large working class population when he started, by the end of his "reign" the average income of the neighborhood had taken a nose dive.

I can remember my dad talking about how while OTR was a bad neighborhood back in the 1960s when he went to UC there were at least shops all up and down Vine Street.

Also the voucher program was a responce to things like OTR one of the worst concentrations of poverty in the entire country and Buddy pushed through policies that made it that way!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,410,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
In a word - NOTHING. I am sure the poster who brought those topics into this context is the same one who relentlessly endeavors to utilize as many threads as they can as their soapbox to start arguments and flame wars.
Maybe you should get off your high horse and just go with the flow. I am sure you are referencing me. I did not introduce the subject of Music Hall into the thread. But once introduced, several others commented. So yes I commented, that is the way threads go. Once Music Hall was introduced I inserted Union Terminal because I feel it is a larger problem than Music Hall, which at least has an endowment to renovate it, reasonable cost or not.

No matter how great the artistic design of Union Terminal is, apparently the structural design left a lot to be desired. Considering it was completed in 1933, at the height of the great depression, it does not surprise me some corners were cut. But that structure should not be in trouble now if it was built to last. The figures I have seen for a stabilization and renovation are rediculous. Of course if you stick the taxpayers with the bill who cares? That is the liberal view, who cares how much it costs, this is a vital part of Cincinnati which needs to be preserved, particularly if we are not paying the cost. At some point practicality has to come into the picture.

If the damn building is falling down, it is falling down. If everyone loves the appearance, fine, tear it down and build a replica. The replica could possibly stand on a smaller footprint of ground, consistent with its actual use - housing a few museums and maybe for nostalgic purposes one Amtrak train a week.

The Carew Tower was completed in 1930. Is anyone saying it is about to fall down? NO! That may be due to the fact those structural engineers knew what they were doing.

Union Terminal reminds me of a Frank Loyd Wright design, beautiful artistic appeal, but absolutely terrible structural design and consideration of the environmental habitate.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 AM

477 posts, read 531,394 times
I said I wasn't but I feel it deserves to be said.

Quote:
No matter how great the artistic design of Union Terminal is, apparently the structural design left a lot to be desired. Considering it was completed in 1933, at the height of the great depression, it does not surprise me some corners were cut. But that structure should not be in trouble now if it was built to last. The figures I have seen for a stabilization and renovation are rediculous. Of course if you stick the taxpayers with the bill who cares? That is the liberal view, who cares how much it costs, this is a vital part of Cincinnati which needs to be preserved, particularly if we are not paying the cost. At some point practicality has to come into the picture.
Your generation bought into the schlock that Corbusier was trying to sell the whole country and resulted in the leveling of tons of unique neighborhoods. Same man also wanted to level Paris for a series of banal unadorned skyscrapers, but they smartly laughed at him and Paris to this day remains an internationally renound city for its architecture. It was also your generation that led the way to the banal mass suburbanization we were forced into mid century. I don't have much sympathy for those ideas.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
He made things worse. OTR still had a large working class population when he started, by the end of his "reign" the average income of the neighborhood had taken a nose dive.

I can remember my dad talking about how while OTR was a bad neighborhood back in the 1960s when he went to UC there were at least shops all up and down Vine Street.

Also the voucher program was a responce to things like OTR one of the worst concentrations of poverty in the entire country and Buddy pushed through policies that made it that way!
In spite of Buddy's works benefiting the homeless, this side of the story needs to be emphasized as well. At times it almost seems as if he exploited the homeless to push his own agendas.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:56 AM

864 posts, read 1,200,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If the damn building is falling down, it is falling down. If everyone loves the appearance, fine, tear it down and build a replica. The replica could possibly stand on a smaller footprint of ground, consistent with its actual use - housing a few museums and maybe for nostalgic purposes one Amtrak train a week.
That's got to be the worst idea I've ever seen on city-data.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:00 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,410,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
That's got to be the worst idea I've ever seen on city-data.
So what do you propose, spending an inordinate amount of money to preserve the current building, which I have seen huge figures for but not containing how many years the patch-work will be good for?

Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM

800 posts, read 700,348 times
>The Carew Tower was completed in 1930. Is anyone saying it is about to fall down? NO! That may be due to the fact those structural engineers knew what they were doing.

Union Terminal and The Carew Tower were built with completely different materials. But facts never enter into your simple mind.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:03 PM

800 posts, read 700,348 times
>So what do you propose, spending an inordinate amount of money to preserve the current building, which I have seen huge figures for but not containing how many years the patch-work will be good for?

Yes. But no matter how much it costs to maintain, it's still a fraction of the tax dollars spent to keep old uneducated people alive on Medicare.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Yes. But no matter how much it costs to maintain, it's still a fraction of the tax dollars spent to keep old uneducated people alive on Medicare.
Oh snap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati