U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 AM

477 posts, read 530,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In spite of Buddy's works benefiting the homeless, this side of the story needs to be emphasized as well. At times it almost seems as if he exploited the homeless to push his own agendas.
Which is exactly why I keep bringing up the documentary "Grizzly Man" - lots of parallels to be drawn there

Old 10-31-2012, 01:32 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,374,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
>The Carew Tower was completed in 1930. Is anyone saying it is about to fall down? NO! That may be due to the fact those structural engineers knew what they were doing.

Union Terminal and The Carew Tower were built with completely different materials. But facts never enter into your simple mind.
What does that have to do with structural engineering? If the matrials used to build Unioon Terminal where not up to the task why were they used? Just flash in the pan appearance with no substance? If unproven over the long haul that was the simple minded part.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,832,204 times
Peasant. Since you were close to the situation there at times, do you think there is any truth the idea that Gray was conspired against?

https://streetvibes.wordpress.com/20...2-years-later/

Old 11-01-2012, 08:20 AM

Wanted to share a personal photo of Music Hall taken from Washington Park towards the end of the summer. How any of you could talk smack about that building is beyond me.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Wanted to share a personal photo of Music Hall taken from Washington Park towards the end of the summer. How any of you could talk smack about that building is beyond me.
Very simple. No matter how it looks today, the original design had a much more gandeur appearance. So restore it as designed. What is wrong with that? It looks like someone painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Which is exactly why I keep bringing up the documentary "Grizzly Man" - lots of parallels to be drawn there
Not to get too far off topic but I checked read about the cat documented in Grizzly Man Man that guy was really asking for it screwing around with bears like that. Obviously, the parallels fall short with Buddy Gray because Gray helped people who were in need. However, I did see some obvious parallels.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 AM

1,879 posts, read 2,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Peasant. Since you were close to the situation there at times, do you think there is any truth the idea that Gray was conspired against?

https://streetvibes.wordpress.com/20...2-years-later/
Okay, understand something here:

There are things called "housing projects" (Metropolitan housing). These are big tracts of government land covered with neat looking dwellings (they look good from the outside), with streets and cross streets that aren't even on city maps, at least the ones in Dayton (mine) didn't used to be. The post office knew the streets and the police and fire departments could find their way around, but even social workers couldn't find clients. Ordinary people (at least the ones I knew) simply drove by thinking, "housing project."

These are the primary "pockets of poverty." Hundreds of people live in them. In recent days two right across the river, one in Newport and one in Covington, were slated to come down. I understand the one in Newport has been flattened. About four years ago I got off the bus at the wrong place and walked straight through it to get where I was going -- old, decrepit woman plodding along -- and was not in the least bothered by anyone. Such places do have a verifiable record of serious crime -- shootings, stabbings, etc.

Buddy's buildings in Over-The-Rhine are not the same thing by any means.

In answer to your question, not too long before he was killed I walked out of some place near Liberty Street (don't even know what/where it was, possibly on Elm) I think enroute to Kroger's to get something. Someone or someones had already said there was someone out to get Buddy Gray. I turned a corner or something, and there plastered on a pole, like telephone pole was a neat sign that said something like "Get rid of Buddy Gray." At the time I scratched it off as nonsense. I cannot imagine the man convicted of killing him devising such a sign and going to a print shop, having it printed up, etc. Someone with computer knowledge could do it.

Who or what would have been behind a conspiracy, quite possibly not to the extent of actually killing him, is something that I don't think can be answered. It wouldn't have to be anything like local business interests.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the reply. Very interesting to say the least.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 AM

800 posts, read 697,675 times
>Very simple. No matter how it looks today, the original design had a much more gandeur appearance. So restore it as designed. What is wrong with that? It looks like someone painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

You are insane. The process has been underway to renovate the hall for several years, yet on other threads you have complained about upcoming renovations ruining the 1970s renovations. Which is it? You don't know yourself. You just fly from impulse to impulse. Your observations and assumptions are always wrong. You can't even remember what you typed a few days or weeks ago in other threads, and surely will shift your response to my statement of facts like you do every single time. And we're sick of hearing about Amberly Village, how good the breakfast supposedly is at this-and-this hotel, and whatever little folksy crap you have to tell us.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
>Very simple. No matter how it looks today, the original design had a much more gandeur appearance. So restore it as designed. What is wrong with that? It looks like someone painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

You are insane. The process has been underway to renovate the hall for several years, yet on other threads you have complained about upcoming renovations ruining the 1970s renovations. Which is it? You don't know yourself. You just fly from impulse to impulse. Your observations and assumptions are always wrong. You can't even remember what you typed a few days or weeks ago in other threads, and surely will shift your response to my statement of facts like you do every single time. And we're sick of hearing about Amberly Village, how good the breakfast supposedly is at this-and-this hotel, and whatever little folksy crap you have to tell us.
Please back yourself up and cite any post where I said the 70s exterior renovations were anything but terrible. As far as the process to renovate the hall, until quite recently they were still fighting over who was going to own it let alone renovate it. Music Hall needs to be restored to its original exterior design, anything else is a concession.

Yes, I may have commented some time ago relative to the recommendations for the interior. Reducing the main auditorium back to its original size may make it difficult to produce revenue sufficient for its maintenance. The symphony has enough trouble raising the revenue they need. Reducing the potential revenue stream cannot help. Also, I can't recall anyone saying the acoustics were compromised by the expansion of the main auditorium. It is generally recognized as having some of the best acoustics in the country.

You may be sick of hearing about Amberley Village, but I don't think the good people of Amberley are. Since I don't live there but admire it from afar, whenever someone inquires about a good close in neighborhood to live in I will recommend it thank you very much. I could just as well say I am sick of hearing about Wyoming, but I am not because I recognize it is also a good place to live.

Last edited by kjbrill; 11-01-2012 at 12:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati