Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 AM

477 posts, read 664,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Even with ugly things done to it, it's still an awesome structure. I have no doubt it will be restored at some point.
I agree with you 100%.

Only Cincinnatians who have tons of beautiful old buildings (that they constantly tear down) would call it ugly

Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I guess it's all in one's perspective whether that cinder block POS called the drop in center looks nice. But to draw a negative comparison with something architecturally significant as Music Hall is grossly inaccurate.
I respect the picture you posted of Music Hall, but I again fail to find it a beautiful building. The modifications to brick in so many of the windows have ruined its original design. And look at that modernistic covering over the entrance doors - totally destroys what should be a beautiful entrance. If we are going to get behind the preservation of architecture then let's be consistent and demand Music Hall be restored to its original design. The original stockyards amphitheatre in Chicago had more character than the current appearance of Music Hall. This can be corrected, but it will not be cheap. At least Music Hall enjoys the legacy of a benefactor, Louise Nippert, who can help make some of this possible.

On a similar subject, Union Terminal is a beautiful building and absolutely a credit to Cincinnati. But I am afraid some mistakes made in its design and construction are increasing the cost of rehabilitation perhaps beyond the practical limit. As I understand it, the structural steel component of the building was not protected sufficiently from water ingress and rust compared to the cladding. At some point the structural steel simply rusts away and the building collapses. From the figures I have seen for rehab of the building, it may be cheaper to tear it down and build a replica to the scale deemed worthwhile.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:28 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
I agree with you 100%.

Only Cincinnatians who have tons of beautiful old buildings (that they constantly tear down) would call it ugly
Dig that. For some reason many of the native Cincinnatians don't seem to realize what they have, or detest it for some weird reason.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
I agree with you 100%.

Don't worry too much. If the "God-inspired" bunch (as opposed to financially-inspired kinds) from Moeller (message #29) have even four or five people in their late teens really motivated, there will be "rehabbing" for the next fifty years. It just won't be what the financial and other "this world" interests would like.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:33 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,433 times
I don't care if the windows are boarded up with rotting 2x4's, Music Hall is one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen.........and my son standing in front of it proudly serves as my cell phone's background. Quite frankly, I never noticed some of the windows were covered......so thanks for trying to ruin my image of the grand lady!

Old 10-30-2012, 01:37 PM

800 posts, read 950,505 times
Kjbrill, you are so typical of the old Cincinnatians who wanted to tear everything down so they could just go sit and watch TV and get fat in the suburbs.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:53 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
How do you help the needy and helpless who truly deserve help without providing enablement for scumbags, druggies, criminals, and lowlifes in general?

That is a social challenge on the order of finding the Higgs-Boson particle.

The liberal answer to this is keep dumping money into a rathole. The conservative answer to this is, let them all die and let God sort them out.

There has to be a more reasoned approach.
Hi Ohioan58--

As far as drugs go, I've always said that you should make it readily available so long as it's in a controlled environment (such as medical professionals nearby in case of accidental overdose; also, quality control would reduce impurities in drugs that lead to countless deaths), coupled with a comprehensive rehab program that requires people to remain on the premises while doing the drug - and then being sent into rehab on the same premises.

Of course, who's going to pay for it? It would have to a Federal initiative since the state and city don't have any money. And where it would go is completely beyond me, because nobody wants that in their backyard.

As far as other things such as welfare, food stamps, etc. I would just enforce the work requirements strictly - that if you're not disabled, you're either working, or making an honest attempt to find a job in order to get welfare. Too many administrators in these programs approach their work in a lackadaisical fashion, and don't really care to check up that the recipients are being 100% honest.

So, although it sounds completely wrong, government should attach an incentive to getting people off welfare and food stamps (ideally, onto good-paying jobs where they don't need food stamps in the first place).

Old 10-30-2012, 02:00 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Kjbrill, you are so typical of the old Cincinnatians who wanted to tear everything down so they could just go sit and watch TV and get fat in the suburbs.
I assume you are referencing my comments on Union Terminal. If it had serious design flaws, which some articles I have read indicate, then it becomes a situation of how much more money do you throw down a rathole. Do matter how much of a grand presence it provides, there comes a point where rehab is not practical. I did not say just rear it down. I said consider tearing it down and building a replica using modern engineering techniques without the deficiencies of the original design. It is less than 100 years old and should have been able to stand for far more than that. If it is crumbling to the degree I understand there must have been some inadequate engineering in the design and construction.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:02 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
so thanks for trying to ruin my image of the grand lady!
Hey, what would a day in the life of interacting on CD forums be w/o having to deal with rabid negativity.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:05 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Hey, what would a day in the life of interacting on CD forums be w/o having to deal with rabid negativity.
Yea, I'm not originally from Cinti, so I never knew that the windows weren't supposed to be covered. I thought they were supposed to be that way! It's one of those buildings I can just sit and stare at it and marvel at its perfect symmetry. Union Terminal is another one of those buildings.....I want to get a family picture taken in front of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati