U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:25 AM

1,879 posts, read 2,123,049 times

Advertisements

A town (or city) is the people in it at any given time. It's buildings and such only secondarily.

While the people in a town varies by the minute, a certain amount of it is fairly permanent, and the people do not even have to be physically present. Case in point:

I have and have had for years a small amount of "mad money" in Cincinnati in a Cincinnati bank and a library card for the Cincinnati and Hamilton County Public library, both in good standing. I can use either service at any time. I haven't physically been in Cincinnati in well over a year and I'm not a native, but both would count me among the clientele.

Someone driving through town, on the other hand, even if they do so every day and live in a suburb, are not really a part of Cincinnati.

A town is the people in it, not the people one might wish for or actively try to recruit.

If the people in a town are homeless (poor, whatever), that is what those who propose to "lead" have to work with and for. Apart from the Biblical claim that "the poor you always have with you," an honest look at the world around suggests that that is going to be a growing trend for some time into the future. A forward looking community would build on that need and only to a much lesser extent on what can only be wished for.

The Drop Inn Center (note the two "n") has been one of the best shelters in the country. Both Pat Clifford and Buddy Gray were smart, determined fighters for a society that respects all human beings. It's people like them who keep the United States from acquiring a reputation like that of India where people have nowhere to live and die but the streets.

If Cincinnati had it's head on straight, it could be "The City With A Big Heart."

It's a sure bet something like the Drop Inn Center cannot be duplicated anywhere like Covington, Dayton or even Columbus. It also can't be established out in the country somewhere (where no one can see it) unless an entire town is built around it.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:30 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
The Drop Inn Center (note the two "n") has been one of the best shelters in the country.
I think people are fans of the drop in center as long they don't have to deal with it or the people who stay there. And especially some of the shenanigans a select few who utilize the joint. As long as it's not in my backyard, most people will champion it's cause.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:55 PM

477 posts, read 530,004 times
Read up on Buddy Grey and the history of over the rhine before you unanimously praise the well intentioned but disastrously run place.

History of Over-the-Rhine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buddy Gray - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-28-2012, 03:03 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Read up on Buddy Grey and the history of over the rhine before you unanimously praise the well intentioned but disastrously run place.

I am no fan of Buddy Gray either, or his legacy.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:13 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,223,432 times
How do you help the needy and helpless who truly deserve help without providing enablement for scumbags, druggies, criminals, and lowlifes in general?

That is a social challenge on the order of finding the Higgs-Boson particle.

The liberal answer to this is keep dumping money into a rathole. The conservative answer to this is, let them all die and let God sort them out.

There has to be a more reasoned approach.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:44 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
How do you help the needy and helpless who truly deserve help without providing enablement for scumbags, druggies, criminals, and lowlifes in general?

The liberal answer to this is keep dumping money into a rathole. The conservative answer to this is, let them all die and let God sort them out.

And if you can figure that out, we should be running you for President next time around.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post

Oh.... Isn't Wikipedia fun! Drop Inn Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I personally met Buddy very briefly once and worked at the Drop Inn Center (for money) for several months part time after Pat took over.

What's your reference point(s) besides Wikipedia?

Oh, and just as an aside, although I preferred the office side of things, the State of Ohio once determined I'm actually qualified to do social work, which in some areas is a little more complicated than just casework.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Agreed.

The social conflict tends to be between those who are strictly and legally out for themselves and those who see beyond themselves sort of like, "that could be me next."

The main difference between the former and the criminal element is the legality. The main difference between those two and the "scumbags" and "lowlifes" is at least money and sometimes class. The main difference between all the aforementioned and druggies is that the aforementioned like to maintain a clear-headed status even if it awash in something like alcohol.

The first thing to do is figure out what the situation is, that is, what are you dealing with on an individual basis? And, that's just as important in the checkout line at Kroger's as it is at any social service agency.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:26 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,223,432 times
Often, political correctness creates a barrier to implementing truly effective pre-qualification criteria. Plus, criminals usually know how to present themselves as earnest and honest and how to game the system.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Often, political correctness creates a barrier to implementing truly effective pre-qualification criteria. Plus, criminals usually know how to present themselves as earnest and honest and how to game the system.

Some nice, fancy words there....

Okay, in ancient history, i.e., when I worked at what was then called the Montgomery County Welfare Department, the county commissioners were of a mind to put an extra $5 in the grant money for ADC recipients (if I recall correctly) when school was starting so that the children would have a little something more than usual when school started. (Get 'em off to a better start than expected.)

That's five extra dollars for something like school clothes. It might free up some money if something like books were needed. Children outgrow clothes fast. Five dollars might even amount to a coat and hat at the thrift store and/or some warm socks from the bargain basement.

The problem of the commissioners was that there were a lot of ADC recipients, and even at $5 each it was a sizable amount of county money. We're talking several thousand families here. Furthermore, it cost the county money just to be distributing the $5. The then director was asked to verify the need, that is, was this $5 actually being used as a benefit to the children?

Now, how might that be determined? The solution attempted was to tell the people to send in their receipts, which, of course, also immediately whittled down the value of the $5 as mailing in receipt(s) took the cost of a stamp and envelope.

Believe it or not, a good many people did send in receipts. And, as the business office thought it was too busy to deal with the matter, guess who got to sort it out.... Returned receipt envelope exhibit "A" might have contained five receipts: fifty cents worth of material from the ten cents store, a dollar for a cap on sale at the department store, etc., etc. I stapled them together and set it aside. That was one client. A few weeks later it could be said that the people who did send in receipts (not all by any means) did use the $5 for school clothes. Logically it could be assumed some others did, too; but, others may not have done so and there was no way to prove they didn't....

(Oh, I'm good at stuff like that. Years later, at the Drop Inn Center, the many containers of sitting mail was stuff waiting for someone to update the records with the current addresses of people who donated so that thank you notes or whatever didn't get returned as undeliverable. Postage is costly. Given some time, eventually all the addresses in the computer were current, and after I checked with one of the bosses to see if the mail was needed for anything else I had one of the guys doing maintenance haul it to the trash. Everyone could then get to the computer. One of the supervisors became very upset as the old mail was all gone, and no one said anything to her about it -- I had skipped that link in the chain of command as I didn't think it was necessarily in the chain of command.)

Politically correct? Yes. But probably not the way meant in the quoted statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati