U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2012, 12:52 PM
 
5,649 posts, read 8,758,092 times
Reputation: 2357

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I am assuming your agent is getting paid from the transaction?
I would imagine so. I can't recall a single sales agent representing a buyer without making a commission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2012, 12:54 PM
 
5,649 posts, read 8,758,092 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Its the realtors responsibility, they should make it right. They collected the commision and accepted the responsibility of getting you the key at closing. Also they can probably get a better deal with a locksmith since realtors use them often.

I am assuming there is no other way in (windows locked?)
Yes, this is the way I see it. I don't want to break any windows to get in. That will cost even more than a locksmith coming in to pick the lock and create replacement keys. I think my agent is on another mini vacation and I guess it will be a couple more days before I get a response to the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 01:15 PM
 
Location: In a happy place
3,707 posts, read 6,571,615 times
Reputation: 7332
A good locksmith would be able to rekey the existing lock (assuming it is in good shape overall) for less money than replacing it. Obviously you need to get into the house. I assume you have some documentation that you just purchased the house. I would a locksmith to get you into the house and then make sure it is secure for you. In a few days when the realtor gets back, explain that you needed in and took care of it. A good realtor will offer to reimburse you for the unexpected expense due to their error. If not, you can submit a bill. If you get no response or get a hassle, you will know what kind of person you actually dealt with.

Regardless, you need to get into your property and the longer you wait for your realtor to do something, the more days you will lose in moving preparations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 08:49 PM
 
5,649 posts, read 8,758,092 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
A good locksmith would be able to rekey the existing lock (assuming it is in good shape overall) for less money than replacing it. Obviously you need to get into the house. I assume you have some documentation that you just purchased the house. I would a locksmith to get you into the house and then make sure it is secure for you. In a few days when the realtor gets back, explain that you needed in and took care of it. A good realtor will offer to reimburse you for the unexpected expense due to their error. If not, you can submit a bill. If you get no response or get a hassle, you will know what kind of person you actually dealt with.

Regardless, you need to get into your property and the longer you wait for your realtor to do something, the more days you will lose in moving preparations.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I have the original contract and that is certainly proof that I purchased the place. Waiting on the Deed from KY Land Title. The real estate agent will be back in town before I can get back down there to the house. I will be calling her tomorrow to find out what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 08:55 AM
 
5,649 posts, read 8,758,092 times
Reputation: 2357
I just received an email from her and apparently she had a couple of keys made and left them with the neighbor. She indicated that she was hurt and dismayed that I asked her to pay for the keys and thought I was out of line.

It was her idea to pick up the keys at the closing and put them in her lock box since I could not be there. I wanted her to mail them to me but she didn't want to do that. It seems to me that since this was her idea and she took possession and ultimately responsibility for the keys of my house, that is appropriate for her to pay the lock smith.

Does anyone think I am out of line about this? Should I reimburse her for the expense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I just received an email from her and apparently she had a couple of keys made and left them with the neighbor. She indicated that she was hurt and dismayed that I asked her to pay for the keys and thought I was out of line.

It was her idea to pick up the keys at the closing and put them in her lock box since I could not be there. I wanted her to mail them to me but she didn't want to do that. It seems to me that since this was her idea and she took possession and ultimately responsibility for the keys of my house, that is appropriate for her to pay the lock smith.

Does anyone think I am out of line about this? Should I reimburse her for the expense?
Well, since the person we are talking about is a personal friend of mine, I can vouch for her being a good person who will bend over backwards to help people. She is also a great realtor. Sometimes things like this can happen and it can be better to forgive the expense to preserve the relationship. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 09:09 AM
 
5,649 posts, read 8,758,092 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Well, since the person we are talking about is a personal friend of mine, I can vouch for her being a good person who will bend over backwards to help people. She is also a great realtor. Sometimes things like this can happen and it can be better to forgive the expense to preserve the relationship. Just a thought.
I hear you. Unfortunately I just keep getting screwed over in the wallet and other places thanks to the careless behavior of others. I don't see why I should be responsible for the way this was handled especially since I strongly preferred to have the keys mailed to me and not left at the house. This is the ONLY issue that has arisen at all during the home buying and relocation process and I have been completely happy with her service. I did not even choose to complain to a higher up at her company about this because I realized it was an honest mistake and an error in judgment on her part and not intentional.

Having been a manager in fast food and retail I know that when a sub par service is provided or a bad product is issued to a customer, the liability is assumed by the company that provided the poor product or service and not the customer. At least that is how a good business operates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,369,950 times
Reputation: 1920
My personal opinion is that a professional who took possession of the keys and then for whatever reason cannot deliver them to you should acknowledge their lack of performance and pay the locksmith fees. Anything else is shirking their responsibility, and asking you to pay the locksmith fees is just plain petty and not professional. If you want to be the good guy and pay the fees go ahead, as you can feel good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 09:20 AM
 
5,649 posts, read 8,758,092 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
My personal opinion is that a professional who took possession of the keys and then for whatever reason cannot deliver them to you should acknowledge their lack of performance and pay the locksmith fees. Anything else is shirking their responsibility, and asking you to pay the locksmith fees is just plain petty and not professional. If you want to be the good guy and pay the fees go ahead, as you can feel good.
I agree completely. If this had been me I would have paid for it myself.

She has paid for the fees but in an effort to be nice, I have submitted an offer to cover half the cost. I'll see what happens. At least I can finally get into my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 PM
 
Location: In a happy place
3,707 posts, read 6,571,615 times
Reputation: 7332
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I just received an email from her and apparently she had a couple of keys made and left them with the neighbor. She indicated that she was hurt and dismayed that I asked her to pay for the keys and thought I was out of line.

It was her idea to pick up the keys at the closing and put them in her lock box since I could not be there. I wanted her to mail them to me but she didn't want to do that. It seems to me that since this was her idea and she took possession and ultimately responsibility for the keys of my house, that is appropriate for her to pay the lock smith.

Does anyone think I am out of line about this? Should I reimburse her for the expense?
Why in the world would she give YOUR keys to the NEIGHBOR? If it was her idea to put the keys in her lockbox rather than mail them to you as requested, then she should have made sure that she (or an official representative from her office) was there to hand the keys to you when you arrived in town. After all, you are the one who bought the house, not the neighbor, and I'm sure she got a pretty penny for your purchase.

Heaven forbid that you should inconvenience her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top