Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:30 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times

Advertisements

The real estate agent that I used to purchase my home lost the keys to the house. At this point I am unable to get inside unless she can find the keys.

Do you think it is inappropriate of me to ask her to pay for a locksmith to get the door open and then make two keys, also at her expense? Aside from this isolated problem she has done an excellent job and I've been pleased with the buying process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
The real estate agent that I used to purchase my home lost the keys to the house. At this point I am unable to get inside unless she can find the keys.

Do you think it is inappropriate of me to ask her to pay for a locksmith to get the door open and then make two keys, also at her expense? Aside from this isolated problem she has done an excellent job and I've been pleased with the buying process.
I believe it is a perfectly logical request. It is not your fault she lost the keys.

BTW, does the home have both front and back doors? Typically these are different locks and keys. If there is more than one exterior door I would request both locks be replaced and also use the same key. In addition, was there only one key to the house? Typically people have more than one key.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I believe it is a perfectly logical request. It is not your fault she lost the keys.

BTW, does the home have both front and back doors? Typically these are different locks and keys. If there is more than one exterior door I would request both locks be replaced and also use the same key. In addition, was there only one key to the house? Typically people have more than one key.
Yes, it has a front and back door. I'll have to find out if they use the same or different keys.

I won't ask her to pay to replace the locks but I have asked her to pay for a locksmith to open the doors and get replacement keys made. I will pay for new locks to be installed once I have an opportunity to do so. And that will be quickly. :-)

Old 10-31-2012, 09:01 AM

4,481 posts, read 6,235,098 times
Quote:

I would certainly ask. That would be a very gracious gesture on their part, not to mention they made some loot on the sale that pales in comparison to the $change$ it would take to make this right.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I would certainly ask. That would be a very gracious gesture on their part, not to mention they made some loot on the sale that pales in comparison to the $change$ it would take to make this right.
I figure since she offered to take responsibility for the keys at the closing and then was going to see to it that they arrived safely in my hands, she should pay for this if she cannot find the keys. That's how I see it.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I figure since she offered to take responsibility for the keys at the closing and then was going to see to it that they arrived safely in my hands, she should pay for this if she cannot find the keys. That's how I see it.
Personally, if it were me, I would have already offered to make it right. Customer service goes along way in generating referrals and repeat business. A lock smith's services and keys would be a small price to pay in this context.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 AM

682 posts, read 1,629,283 times
Its the realtors responsibility, they should make it right. They collected the commision and accepted the responsibility of getting you the key at closing. Also they can probably get a better deal with a locksmith since realtors use them often.

I am assuming there is no other way in (windows locked?)

Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Personally, if it were me, I would have already offered to make it right. Customer service goes along way in generating referrals and repeat business. A lock smith's services and keys would be a small price to pay in this context.
Exactly right. I just found out last night that she lost the keys and so I am waiting to hear back if she finds them. If within a couple of days they don't turn up then I sincerely hope they will try to make things right and take care of this. This certainly is not a very good way to get started in what is going to be my new home. I hope this is an isolated issue and I don't run into one problem after another like I've had in the Kansas City region.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Exactly right. I just found out last night that she lost the keys and so I am waiting to hear back if she finds them. If within a couple of days they don't turn up then I sincerely hope they will try to make things right and take care of this. This certainly is not a very good way to get started in what is going to be my new home. I hope this is an isolated issue and I don't run into one problem after another like I've had in the Kansas City region.
She just got back in town from a trip to the east coast and had to race back to avoid the hurricane. I am sure she will get it together.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 PM

I am assuming your agent is getting paid from the transaction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati