U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:01 AM

5,658 posts, read 8,772,730 times

Advertisements

As long as the subject of food keeps cropping up I will ask the following.

Are there any Swedish or Scandinavian restaurants or bakeries in the Cincinnati area? My guess is probably not but perhaps a long time resident of the area may have an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,837,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
As long as the subject of food keeps cropping up I will ask the following.

Are there any Swedish or Scandinavian restaurants or bakeries in the Cincinnati area? My guess is probably not but perhaps a long time resident of the area may have an idea.

Well, not sure about the two above mention ethnicity. Again, Findlay Market has excellent bakeries. Following is my favorite. It's the only place I know of in Cincy that has Canoli.

Skirtz & Johnston

Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Well, not sure about the two above mention ethnicity. Again, Findlay Market has excellent bakeries. Following is my favorite. It's the only place I know of in Cincy that has Canoli.

Skirtz & Johnston
My Mother's family is from Sweden and we enjoy a lot of that food throughout the year. Unfortunately since I will still be a good 10 to 12 hour drive from the family I will have to rely upon cooking or baking my own or finding a local eatery. Jamestown, NY has a decent Swedish Bakery and I may have to drive there to pick up some things a couple of times a year if I can't find anything near Cincy.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
My Mother's family is from Sweden and we enjoy a lot of that food throughout the year. Unfortunately since I will still be a good 10 to 12 hour drive from the family I will have to rely upon cooking or baking my own or finding a local eatery. Jamestown, NY has a decent Swedish Bakery and I may have to drive there to pick up some things a couple of times a year if I can't find anything near Cincy.
Chicago is a lot closer.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Chicago is a lot closer.
Thanks. I didn't think of that. Probably at least 3 hours closer at that.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I didn't think of that. Probably at least 3 hours closer at that.
Chicago is only 5 hours away.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,392,180 times
Years ago we had a swedish family who lived across the street from us in Madeira named Jansen. They had bought a small bakery in Madeira and turned it into a thriving business. The father was up all night baking so they could greet their customers early in the morning with fresh donuts, several different breads, etc. I don't remember what may have been distinctive other than it was all good and their version of tea-rings was excellent. I believe being in a German ancestry town they adapted, as I remember they made an excellent Christmas Stollen which is definitely German. But I suspect with how compact Europe really is there is a liberal commingling of food across the continent, with possible exception of the French.

We have a Jansen's bakery here in Mason called Sweet Sensations. I have not confirmed but suspect it is owned by the son of the former owner in Madeira. As the name implies, their specialty is sweets. The wife has a hard time passing that place. Some absolutely decadent cakes, cream filled, ice cream filled, all kinds. The old fashioned eclairs which are fabulous. Donuts of every variety, texture, filling, and topping. Like with anything, if you lookup online reviews you will find anything, including negatives about the owners since they did not kiss the customer's pinkies. I have many acquaintances here in Mason having living here now for 37 years, and they all agree Sweet Sensations is a welcome addition to our town.

There must be some particular style of swedish baked goods you are seeking. What distinguishes them?

Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 AM

^^^ Wow. Small world. My Grandfather's last name was Jansen. Changed it to Johnson when he arrived here and settled in Connecticut.

He grew up on a farm in the central part of the country. My Grandmother was from Goteborg which is a coastal city and the largest in the country outside of Stockholm.

There are so many family variations of most Swedish foods that it is difficult to pin point a regional cuisine at least from my standpoint. That may be different now of course but won't really matter. When I have a chance I will try to find out if Jansens carries any authentic Swedish goodies.

The way the members of my family make their food is probably unique to the Swedes in Connecticut. I have a copy of a recipe book published by our Church (Swedish Lutheran congregation in Hartford) around 1940 or so that contains recipes from a variety of Swedish families that settled in Connecticut and became members of the church. My Grandmother, Mother and now the other cooks and bakers in our family use these recipes even today. I suspect they originate from all regions of the country since emigres to the USA from Sweden hailed from every area of the country.

I think some of the Scandinavian Baked goods are probably somewhat similar to those found in Germany. But the actual dinner or lunch fare is uniquely Scandinavian and bears little resemblance to German food.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:40 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,392,180 times
Every country has its unique foods. I remember my few trips to Hamburg, Germany and how I felt both at home and out of place. The one thing I just thoroughly enjoyed were their fast food restruants every one of which had Kartoffelgratin (potato au gratin). Since I love potatoes that was fine with me. I would roam around town at night and just stop in at whatever Kartoffelgratin restaurant seemed to have the largest crowd.

The one thing I struggled with was breakfast in the hotel. A hard crusted roll seemingly designed to crack you teeth, a slice of hard, sharp cheese, and a slice of what I call luncheon meat. At least the meat was what I remember as Thuringer from my youth and something I have not seen here for years.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:50 PM

You can find Thuringer at grocery stores in Minnesota. Used to see it the Hartford area too though I have not shopped for it there in years. When I was in Sweden I recall the Hot Dogs were nothing like the American variety. Similar to Korv which is a Swedish sausage but still not quite like that either. I'll take American Hot Dogs over Swedish mutts any day. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati