U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM

148 posts, read 168,670 times

Advertisements

Tailgaters. I live on a busy street and see it all day and night. You never see a single car by itself, because someone is always on their tail. I feel sorry for the older drivers and sightseers, because it's impossible to not be hounded by the manic compulsive tailgaters.

The tailgater would rather stay behind you, rather than take the wide open lane beside you. Psychologically it's a codependent thing.

I learned about this tailgating phenomenon by living in rural areas in a couple southern states. You never see a single car on the remote country road. It's always two or more, because of the tailgaters.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 AM

5,319 posts, read 6,626,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If there is one thing I agree with it is noone pays any attention to the 55mph limit on the urban sections of the expressway. There was a reason those limits were set on congested in town sections of the road but it is obvious nobody cares.

The 55 limit is illegally underposted for revenue generation purposes. Speed limits are supposed to be set based on 85th percentile measured vehicle speeds, as measured by traffic engineers. Obviously, if nobody pays attention to the 55 limit it is NOT based on 85th% measured vehicle speeds.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM

5,658 posts, read 8,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgencincy View Post
Tailgaters. I live on a busy street and see it all day and night. You never see a single car by itself, because someone is always on their tail. I feel sorry for the older drivers and sightseers, because it's impossible to not be hounded by the manic compulsive tailgaters.

The tailgater would rather stay behind you, rather than take the wide open lane beside you. Psychologically it's a codependent thing.

I learned about this tailgating phenomenon by living in rural areas in a couple southern states. You never see a single car on the remote country road. It's always two or more, because of the tailgaters.
Tailgating in KC is awful. Even worse than in the Cincinnati area. I try in vain to get space between my car and others especially on lightly traveled roads yet someone always seems to get on my tail and won't pass when hitting a passing zone. I've been told that the tailgaters expect YOU to pull over for them in order that they can pass. Talk about arrogant! In New England people won't wait to have you pull over (unless you are stupid enough to be driving slow in the passing lane on a highway) and they will simply pass you in a passing zone at the first opportunity.

I appreciate the psychological insight into why this behavior occurs. I always chalked it up to the herd mentality of some people. Since I like my space I just don't understand the behavior at all especially since it leads to serious car accidents. I've been rear ended a dozen times, yes a dozen by morons that tail gate.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:12 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,869,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The 55 limit is illegally underposted for revenue generation purposes. Speed limits are supposed to be set based on 85th percentile measured vehicle speeds, as measured by traffic engineers. Obviously, if nobody pays attention to the 55 limit it is NOT based on 85th% measured vehicle speeds.
Yeah they tried to make all highways at 55mph on 1995 but it was voted against and actually driving faster is just as deadly as driving slower based on fender benders and such...

Old 03-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
80? Heck I was passing everyone driving 70.
Really, thats odd.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:32 PM

361 posts, read 547,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Really, thats odd.
No it's not. Most people are going about 60mph. I would usually be going about 65 and pass the majority of people; at 70, I was practically whizzing past people.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:32 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
Quote:
So in your estimation, traffic limits should be set on what 85% of the actual traffic is doing. That is a wonderful idea. So if we all decide that 100 mph is a great speed, then they should set the limit at 85% x100 or 85 mph. Where does that logic come from? Sounds like a let anybody do whatever the Hell they want to do to me. In that regard we need no traffic engineers.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
So in your estimation, traffic limits should be set on what 85% of the actual traffic is doing. That is a wonderful idea. So if we all decide that 100 mph is a great speed, then they should set the limit at 85% x100 or 85 mph. Where does that logic come from? Sounds like a let anybody do whatever the Hell they want to do to me. In that regard we need no traffic engineers.
Its not a estimate its a FACT!!!!!! (rolls eyes)

Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
No it's not. Most people are going about 60mph. I would usually be going about 65 and pass the majority of people; at 70, I was practically whizzing past people.
Thats odd i go 70 sometimes and thats the pace of speed.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:08 PM

5,319 posts, read 6,626,427 times
Quote:

Go back and review your statistics (you did take a statistics course at UC, didn't you?). An 85th percentile speed is the speed at which 85% of the vehicles are driving at or below.

No, let's just set speed limits based on what grandma thinks is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or