U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:13 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,859,254 times

Advertisements

When i saw this i couldn't believe it as im sure all of you cant believe it either. I never pictured Cincy competing with cities like New York and Miami for the most aggressive drivers. Also could it be the traffic here causing the aggressiveness, especially since Cincinnati has the worst traffic and most out of all the cities in Ohio and maybe it could be the terrible freeway design, who knows. Tell me your opinion on the topic.
#9 Cincinnati | America's Most Agressive Drivers Revealed | Comcast.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,918 times
Didn't even follow the link. Cincy does not have aggressive drivers - PERIOD - END OF STORY - !

As an example, this is a city where I constantly contend with idiots stopping the flow of traffic to motion another driver out of a parking lot / cross street and into moving traffic.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:33 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,012,544 times
Hi all--

I wouldn't say Cincinnati drivers are aggressive so much as they're passive-aggressive. Few people play chicken or (for some reason the arcade game (F)rogger is censored?) with the other cars, weaving from lane to lane.

However, they like accelerating into the gap to keep you from changing lanes, pacing the car in the next lane to keep someone else from passing, brake-checking, driving 60 in the left lane and refusing to move over, nobody uses a turn signal, etc...

Old 11-02-2012, 11:52 AM

477 posts, read 529,792 times
Quote:
didn't even follow the link. Cincy does not have aggressive drivers - PERIOD - END OF STORY - !
These city lists things are often of dubious quality.

The problem I have when driving in Cincy is drivers aren't aggressive enough. I know 40 mph is the minimum speed limit, but it doesn't mean you have to ALWAYS do it when you are right before the taft rd exit on I-71 :P.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:56 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,222,357 times
I see it as a regional thing. In the last 10 years, Dayton drivers have converged on the Cincinnati driving style and are pretty much the same.

There's a prevailing driving style in this region of getting one over everyone else by being an a-hole by deliberate, unnecessary choice.

One example of this style is drivers that camp out in the wrong lane on the highway or the on-ramp that loses, say, the right lane. So FREAKING MANY drivers in this region believe that it's acceptable to camp out in THE, THE, THE very lane that is ending and then accelerate and bully themselves into the remaining lane. Specific example: on Rt 4 northbound in Fairfield, a few lights north of 275, the left lane ends, it's clearly marked, and many yahoos think they are showing what men/women they are by remaining in that lane until the left shoulder disappears. Driving that stretch scared the sh*t out of me. You also see this behavior a lot in construction zones or wherever lanes disappear. You pretty much need a cop traveling ahead of the pack to tame down SW Ohio ignorant jerk driver behavior.

I think the heavy briar (Appalachian white trash) combativeness and desire to pick fights for no good reason has a bearing on this regional behavior.

I've also seen that inordinate road politeness behavior in the region at times. Almost to the point of causing a wreck because nobody else knows what the person is doing.

I think a general rule for the Cin-Day region for driving is that many drivers really don't understand or employ appropriate driving techniques. Most other cities I have lived in, drivers do not seem as out of sync with what is appropriate as they do around SW Ohio.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:17 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
NINTH Most Aggressive! These people have to be talking about somewhere else. Cincinnati drivers at least have some sensibilities about them.

If you are talking about the interstates, the majority of the drivers doing all of the lane changes, expressing frustration about slow drivers in the inner lanes, and in general just having no patience are from out of state.

Of course there are exceptions, particularly during the rush hours of the work week, when so many think they just own the roads. That is why I have begun to harp live close to where you work and minimize the commute.

But whoever declared Cincinnatians are the Ninth most aggressive drivers in the country needs to go find another vocation, as they missed this one big time.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:51 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,302,691 times
Honestly if you are not on the highways or roads 24/7 how would you know they are not aggressive, because no one cut you off?????

Old 11-02-2012, 04:35 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,462,107 times
Suburban drivers tail gate if they don't think you're going fast enough. I find it especially aggravating when you're going from traffic light to traffic light......there's no reason to go fast because you're just going to be stopped at the next light 400 yards away. I've started to move the rear view mirror so I can't see them.

I guess I'm getting old.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:42 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Didn't even follow the link. Cincy does not have aggressive drivers - PERIOD - END OF STORY - !

As an example, this is a city where I constantly contend with idiots stopping the flow of traffic to motion another driver out of a parking lot / cross street and into moving traffic.
Remind of us of where you're from? Your roots are showing.
The motorists of Massachusetts are collectively known as "M*****holes" for their hyper-aggressive behavior behind the wheel. Whether it be leaning on the horn because the driver ahead stopped for ten seconds to drop off a passenger, or flicking the high-beams at anybody daring to drive AT the speed limit on the expressway, or any number of other things, Bay Staters are close to leading the pack nationwide in terms of being complete jerks in their cars. I didn't bother replacing my long-lived car when it went to the great turnpike in the sky in 1998, and have no regrets.
I rented wheels when I was in Cincinnati three weeks ago, and relished being able to merrily roll along without any M*****hole behavior to contend with. Once I was even stopped for a light, and - conditioned to "No Turn on Red" signs being the rule back East - hadn't noticed that nothing was preventing my making the right turn I was signaling to make. When I caught my error and started the turn, I waved to the patient driver behind me for not honking the way "normal" people in New England and the NYC area would do.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:44 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
^ LOL...even the "at" sign and the dollar sign don't stop the C-D censors. I'm sure y'all can guess what was asterisked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or